GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about a carbon bootlid after being stunned at how heavy the original item is.
I see a few places do wet carbon or GRP lids but cant seem to find a dry carbon version at all. Seeing as its all about weight saving I would have thought dry carbon would have been far better.

Anyone know of a supplier who would sell me a dry carbon lid for the 32???

TT

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Nothing wrong with any kind of light weight boot lid, so long as the fit is good there will only be around 1-2kg difference in weight between them all Im sure.

Just dont have something to eat befor you go out in the car, you might see a 0.01 sec difference in time ;-)

What are you going to do about the spoiler? The weight of that suprised me, not the weight of the boot lid!

Baz

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The std spoiler is gone, replaced with a Buddyclub GT wing which is surprisingly light for its size. Yes your right that it will only be a slight difference but when you add up all these 1-2Kgs that you save here and there it will add up to a HUGE amount.

Its a bit defeatist to say that 1 or 2Kgs is a pointless saving IMHO. If nothing else it will offset the weight of the cage....

TT

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think knight racer can supply dry carbon parts but its on request only and probably big money.

Something else to think about... I have a bag full of all the nuts and bolts from an R32 GTR its bloomin heavy! its not even ALL of them.... Titanium fasteners anyone ? :D

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PM'd KR the other day, just waiting to hear back from them.

I agree that all the fastners will amount to a fair weight. Unfortunately theres a little more to it than just replacing them all with titanium. Different materials have different properties and I would think that titanium might not be the 'catch-all' fastner that everyone thinks it would be. Unles, of course someone knows different.

TT

·
Registered
834 Posts
well I reckon titanium would be fine for most of them. Especially when you consider a lot of them appear to be made of an iron-cheese alloy! Strenght critical ones would obviously need to stay steel

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
well I reckon titanium would be fine for most of them. Especially when you consider a lot of them appear to be made of an iron-cheese alloy!
lol at iron-cheese alloy bolts. I've broken so many 10mm Nissan 'cheese' bolts that I replace the bloody things with stainless steel bolts when I remove them now.

Just an observation about weight saving....isn't removing any weight at the back end of the car just going to make the car even more front weight bias than they are already and therefore make handling and rear traction worse potentially ?

Just thinking about my 200SX days where RS13 (hatchbacks) seemed to be more forgiving to drive than S14's (saloons) which I believe was due to the more even front/rear weight split of the RS13 compared to the S14 inspite of the comparable overall weights. The RS13 has the glass and tailgate rear which pushed more weight to the rear of the car which aided traction and make them less likely to power oversteer and generally feel more balanced.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fair point but I intend to engineer the weight distribution to counter any negative effects of lightening areas of the car.

TT

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Im sure removing the Aircon and ABS would have already made up for that Scott! Is you battery relocated to the boot yet?
I got in contact with the guy who made Smokey's carbon boot, think it came in at 3kgs, (single skin, needs custom catches) the original from memory is 6 or 7 kgs and the OEM rear spoiler another 6kgs.
:)
bob

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oddly enough Bob, I believe John B got his boot and other bits done by Nur motorsport (well at least I'm sure thats the case as its on their website :D). More odd is the fact that the bootlid that should be with me tomorrow :D is a custom Nur motorsport item...scary eh :chuckle:.
As for the battery, its been in the boot for ages. When it goes it'll be getting replaced by an Odyssey PC680.
Just waiting now on some more rear hub bushes and a high capacity diff cover to arrive before I can rebuild my rear subframe then it'll be all done...literally!!!

TT

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Very nice Scott, very nice indeed! pics when you have them please! :thumbsup:
;)
bob

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh, you betcha Bobster!!!!