GTR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to fit a fog light to the rear of the car for its MOT, on the right hand side of the dashboard is the switch for a fog light. Is this for front fogs? The car hasn't got any anyway, no spaces for them at the front, and no sign of one ever been fitted to the rear either. Now before I get in there with my sledge hammer and crowbar, how is the switch removed without breaking it (just so I can see the wires and try to find out where they run to?) My plan is to use that switch for the rear fog light.
Many thanks in advance for any pointers!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
On my car this switch is used for the rear fog lights, I had a local auto spark wire my inner brake lights as fogs to save a light hanging down off the bumper. A lot of people remove the fog lights after the mot but this isn't an option as I live in Central Scotlands Forth Valley.

Charlie.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
the switch operates a wierd jap version of fog lights which is basically just the side lights!
for the mot you need to have a visible warning lamp that the fog light is on on the dash. best thing to do is just get a light up rocker switch and either wire in a fog at the back of modify one of the reversing lights.
eventually i'll the drilling in another lamp (warning led) to the factory switch (just like the heated window switch) and placing a relay at the back so that all 4 brake lights work as normal but when the fogs on, the 2 inner ones act as fogs and the outers as brake lights.
the relay is fairly straight forward but no ive got the switch appart its more fiddly than i thought. something for a rainy day :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your replies chaps, i had the back end inside the boot apart lastnight hunting for any "afterthought" wiring, found one wire which turns out it runs to one of the reverse lights. I did think about only having one reverse light and using other as a fog, think i'll just fit the stand-alone fog light i bought. need to somehow gently prise out that switch though.. wish me luck!

·
Registered
892 Posts
i'm just in the process of making a set of L.E.D fog / L.E.D reverse lights set inside the reverse lights for mine and will hook it upto the original switch with led to show when there on

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
dont prise the original switch out! its screwed in from behind. need to take off the dash surround and undo the 3 or 4 small screws.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i found out, thanks anyway. the jobs done now, a fitted rear foglight, working from the standard dash switch :) i daren't prise the switch out, found all the screws holding everything on and took the whole dash facia away from that area (had to take quite a few things away to get to other screws) and all was revealed... i'm chuft now, MOT time 2moz! Cheers all for your pointers and help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts