GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im just trying to fit a walbro fuel pump in my r32 gtr, i can see into the tank, but cant see where the pump is located. im sure it is something really simple, but would be greatful for any help or advice

thanx

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
The original pump is basically below the access hole. Its in a plastic holder. You'll need to feel round the back of the pump and lift a little lug to release the whole assembly. Its difficult to try and explain but you'll know what I mean when you've done it. I used the worshop manual but even then, its pretty vague and the pics of the job are crap.
I changed mine last week and, once I got the original one out it was a piece of pi$$ to put the new one in and finish the job.

Should take about 20 mins all in. 15 of that to figure out how to get the pump out LOL

TT

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Forgot to mention that it might be a good idea to follow the fuel outlet pipe down to the pump with your hand. The little lug is just below where the pipe enters the pump.
Again, difficult to explain without pics but it'll become clear as crystal once you've done it (not that it helps doing it for the first time)

TT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kool thanx very much, i could see the the pump assembaly in the bottom, but was unsure if thats wot it was, jus gonna go try get it out now, thanx for all you help

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
You'll find the lug on the right hand side of the whole ass'y. Pull it up and then whilst doing this pull the pump to the right in the direction of the fuel filler. Be VERY careful with the gauge ass'y as its very delicate and make sure you lay it down somewhere where the weight is not resting on the float rod.
Its also a good idea to have as little petrol in the tank as possible.
All-in-all not a difficult job. A bit fiddly in places but definately one of the easier ones to perform on a Skyline.
Good luck

TT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
managed to change the pump, like you said quite easy. however, no i have a BIG problem. my car wont start!! the fuel gauge is working so i asume the electrics are ok. but i cant hear the pump working. any advice i would be very greatful

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
A Walbro needs to be wired in as it doesnt have an OEM spec harness. Check your connections are good. Did you remember to plug the two sockets back into the top plate of the tank?? Check that they have properly seated...On mine I had to clear a lot of crap out of the top plate to get them back on properly.
Did you remove the fuse to drain the fuel lines before doing the job??Check that you put the fuse back in properly.
If you still have no joy, try taking it back out, disconnecting ALL fuel lines and, in a SAFE place, connect it directly to a battery to see if it is working. If it hasnt worked so far then it wont have any fuel in it so you should be all right. Just use a bit of common sense when dealing with a fuel pump LOL.

Other than that mate, it might be the pump itself thats on the blink.

Good Luck,
TT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts