GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a R33 GTR Vspec was was told by the previous owner that he replaced the R33 GTR gearbox with a R32 GTR gearbox. Not sure why but I know he took the car to the drags. It has a 'custom made' brass button clutch and makes a whinning noise when in neutral or driving but goes away when clutch is pressed.
I had a look at the forums about the gearbox whinning noise and not really fussed about the it atm. What i want to know is why would someone replace a R33 GTR gearbox with R32 GTR, even tough R33 gearboxes are much better? Any advantages or disadvantages? Should I buy the R33 GTR gearbox from him and replace it?

Only reasons I came up with is that he didn't want to wreck his 33 gearbox or the 32 gearbox works well with drags:nervous:

Not having any problems with the gearbox but just wanted to get some opinions:squintdan

Appreciate any responses

Thanks

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
the answer lies in what year your R33 is (series 3 had the toughest box), and whether the R32 is push or pull type. I take it the R32 box is NOT a standard box, but a tuner part? These are the questions you should be asking the previous owner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, its a 1995, so assuming Series 1. Couldn't get a straight answer from owner as he just said its a R32 gearbox and the R33 is currently with him. Not sure of the pull or push type, anyway of determining which type without taking the gearbox out?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Push gearboxes have the clutch slave infront of the clutch fork in the bell housing , (nearer the engine)
Pull gearboxes have the clutch slave behind the clutch fork, nearer the rear of the car.
Hope this helps.
Apparently its easier to get high power clutches in push rather than pull type for high power applications. (so ive been told).
;)
bob

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Also you can make an R33 box a Pull or push but an early R32 box can only be a push as it doesn't have the extra blanked off lugs to mount the slave too ;)

I think he is spinning you a line with the whining. More then likely a shagged gearbox .

There is no reason for changing at all mate. Late R32 and R33 early box's are pretty much the same as early r32 gearbox's inside. Won't make a difference at all. Only difference is a push or pull type clutch mech.

Late R33 gearbox's are stronger due to redesigned syncro's :)

·
Banned
686 Posts
interesting topic information.
I didnt even know about the changes in revisions of Gtr33's
And to be honest if you going to replace the box and fit a gtr33 box then i suggest hunting a good rev 3 gtr33 box and fitting that rather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts