GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had a bit of a search, both on the forum and google but have been unable to find anything other than the fact that the grp A cars had some alterations to the rear subframe.

I don't suppose anyone here knows more than that? I'd like to have a go at reinforcing it myself but dont really know where to start!

Thanks

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
There were various modifications to the chassis and suspension etc Matt. I'll try and find some specific info for you for what you want, though i suspect Alan on here (PS30-SB) would be able to answer your question much better than me.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, i'll drop him a pm!

Im planning to get both front and rear subframes acid dipped, neutralised then electrophoretic coated. So I want to get any reinforcement done 1st so the coating can get to the insides and prevent any rust developing from any new welds

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I have a load of Japanese books on the Group A cars. There's a few pics with brace bars between the upper arm mounts but these don't seem to feature on the pics of the actual race cars. I think they used welded in tube and plate for the diff mounts and the four subframe to chassis connections. The roll cage picked up on the subframe stud locations too.

I welded a few braces into my subframe last year before having it powdercoated.
The main one is to weld a plate to close up the 4th side of the front upper arm 'tower'.
I think Nissan were happy to leave torsional flexibility in this with HICAS but once you dump the rear rack it makes sense to make it much stiffer. I put small plates on all the other three suspension points too.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I have a load of Japanese books on the Group A cars. There's a few pics with brace bars between the upper arm mounts but these don't seem to feature on the pics of the actual race cars. I think they used welded in tube and plate for the diff mounts and the four subframe to chassis connections. The roll cage picked up on the subframe stud locations too.

I welded a few braces into my subframe last year before having it powdercoated.
The main one is to weld a plate to close up the 4th side of the front upper arm 'tower'.
I think Nissan were happy to leave torsional flexibility in this with HICAS but once you dump the rear rack it makes sense to make it much stiffer. I put small plates on all the other three suspension points too.
Pics.....Or it didn't happen!:popcorn:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers lightspeed! Thats a big help!

I'll talk to andy robinson about extending the cage to the subframe mount points too... It has to go back to him for some minor alterations anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts