Votes: 175 54.2%
  • Bigger!

Votes: 11 3.4%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
With respect the above depends on the the wheels and tyres in question. Assuming tyre width is the same then drag will be the same that just leaves sidewall deformation and weight. My 18s were much lighter than the 17s and rides much better.

I fully except that like for like the 17s would be lighter etc but a better set of wheels makes more of a difference than 1" of diameter.

I certainly didn't buy mine for the look and I would challenge anyone who paid a similar or lessor amount to me to have lighter wheels (for the sake of fairness 17" diameter and 9" width as per my original parameters).
you've misunderstood me- i'm not talking about weight, or rolling radius, but sidewall compliance and keeping the contact patch on challenging road surfaces

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
For PERFORMANCE, can anyone think of any wheels that can beat these 17x9.5 CE28s?

What about 17x9 ET28 Buddy Club P1 QFs?
In 17x9.5 with similar offsets, there's maybe 100g difference between CE28n,P1 & LMGT4s.

Personally I was looking at 18" LM GT4s, but now I've decided to go CE28n in 17x9.5 after seeing how tough they look :)

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,181 Posts
you've misunderstood me- i'm not talking about weight, or rolling radius, but sidewall compliance and keeping the contact patch on challenging road surfaces
But that's also a function of the tyre construction. A stiff sidewall will make more of a difference than 12mm odd of height. Whilst the ideal might be a 17x9 I wouldn't write off an 18" option as purely for looks. I suggest that a good 18" set-up would be better than mediocre 17" set-up.

If I had unlimited funds I'd have a set of the 17" Dymags on mine but I don't want to spend that much on wheels. When you except that whatever you do will be a compromise it's a case of managing the compromise. As I said I swapped a set of 17x9s to 18x9.5, lost a fair bit of weight, gained on ride, grip and sidewall compliance. In this case the 18s were clearly the better option. Perhaps if I spent a extra wedge of cash I'd have gotten something even more.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have 18" panasport G7`s for the simple driving around and have some 17" wheels for if/when I need to use them.

The 18" clear the R34 Brembos radially better

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
17" :thumbsup: Although this depends on your brake setup, you may need to have 18" wheels for sufficient clearance.

The picture below is with 17" wheels courtesy of ANDY H, I think its the perfect size for the BNR32:

nice pic, nice car

do you know what spoiler that is?
is it the do-luck one?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
17" :thumbsup: Although this depends on your brake setup, you may need to have 18" wheels for sufficient clearance.

The picture below is with 17" wheels courtesy of ANDY H, I think its the perfect size for the BNR32:

very nice!

is the r33 brembo brakes will fit 17"s? is this 245/40?

·
Registered
463 Posts
R32 GTR - 17s or 18s? Reply to Thread

I've got 18x10's on mine & think they are the best size. Some 17's look awesome but 19's are a big no no.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 177 Posts