GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
alot more than you can buy a car thats already in the 9s.

also depends on how reliable you want them 9s.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
im already 21k into a build (including buying the car) and i still have a fuel pump kit, turbo and wastegate, everything else is already done
as above i think the bare minimum is
1. forged internals (rod's and pistons)
2. a good metal headgasket (the thicker the better)
3. camshaft upgrade (ive got type "b" poncams)
4. uprated valve springs (to cope with the rev limit increece)
5. upgrade turbo kit (mine is a GT4094R)
6. upgraded intercooler
7. a good clutch (os triple plate)
8. upgraded oil pump
9. at least 2 044 pumps and swirl pot
10. 1000cc injectors and 11mm fuel rail
11. fuel pressure regulator
12. new ecu (haltech sport 2000) or similar, hks f-con, apexi power f.c
13. boost controller
14. 4" exhaust
15. a shit load of cash to have it all done (im doing mine myself, a toyota tech for 13 years and AA patrol for 5 years)

when you are finished paying for that lot lay aside atleast another 2k as a contingansy just incase something breaks during the set up and the mapping costs

then if you are puting it on the road theres a mot, tax, insurance and a 9 sec car will eat tyres so you will be in your pocket loads there too

so id say a 9sec car will be atleast 30k

hope thats what you are looking for ;)

Alex

·
Registered
671 Posts
I agree with all above... my new engine has cost me about 22k (that I have receipt for)
And that covers just the engine, turbo etc. , fuel system, mapping...
Then there is all the little stuf that I have bought thats not including in the 22k, probably 2k more...

+ The car... in my case a 15.5k R33 GT-R :(

·
Registered
671 Posts
And a good Gear Box:thumbsup:

Yeah, forgot about the gearbox :chuckle:
Probably another 4k to 10k...

I can say that my gearbox still has not broken with 931whp, hihi... but it will soon :)
I have not driven my car on a drag meet yet, just on the streets.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
im already 21k into a build (including buying the car) and i still have a fuel pump kit, turbo and wastegate, everything else is already done
as above i think the bare minimum is
1. forged internals (rod's and pistons)
2. a good metal headgasket (the thicker the better)
3. camshaft upgrade (ive got type "b" poncams)
4. uprated valve springs (to cope with the rev limit increece)
5. upgrade turbo kit (mine is a GT4094R)
6. upgraded intercooler
7. a good clutch (os triple plate)
8. upgraded oil pump
9. at least 2 044 pumps and swirl pot
10. 1000cc injectors and 11mm fuel rail
11. fuel pressure regulator
12. new ecu (haltech sport 2000) or similar, hks f-con, apexi power f.c
13. boost controller
14. 4" exhaust
15. a shit load of cash to have it all done (im doing mine myself, a toyota tech for 13 years and AA patrol for 5 years)

when you are finished paying for that lot lay aside atleast another 2k as a contingansy just incase something breaks during the set up and the mapping costs

then if you are puting it on the road theres a mot, tax, insurance and a 9 sec car will eat tyres so you will be in your pocket loads there too

so id say a 9sec car will be atleast 30k

hope thats what you are looking for ;)

Alex
i thought you picked your car up cheap mate ? maybe im thinking of someone else ?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
i thought he wanted 9 sec's?
as far as hp i recon atleast 800-850hp depending on the weight of the car and set up

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Years ago we did 10.2 for about 10k pounds including buying the car and the only thing holding us back from 9s was the stock boxes but I agree to do it nicely these days with some good parts 30k+ is real easy to sink into a car and then it takes more than just money to acually get a 9 as there's plenty of guys who have spent heaps trying for 9s and not got it.

Rob

·
Registered
363 Posts
Years ago we did 10.2 for about 10k pounds including buying the car and the only thing holding us back from 9s was the stock boxes but I agree to do it nicely these days with some good parts 30k+ is real easy to sink into a car and then it takes more than just money to acually get a 9 as there's plenty of guys who have spent heaps trying for 9s and not got it.

Rob
thats why its 1/2 the price buying a 9 sec turn key package thats had all the sorting done. Ive spent over 50K getting mine to where it is and it runs 9.4 with me driving it...im sure a more experienced racer would have it running even faster.

in a few weeks we will have another go at dropping another .4 off the time making one of, if not the quickest, street GTR on the planet.

·
Following EJH#25
6,843 Posts
thats why its 1/2 the price buying a 9 sec turn key package thats had all the sorting done. Ive spent over 50K getting mine to where it is and it runs 9.4 with me driving it...im sure a more experienced racer would have it running even faster.
The problem with buying a 'turn key' package is that 9 times out of 10, the key has been turned many times and the life expectancy of the engine is next to nothing; as has happened numerous times on here before.

I'm not by any means saying yours is the same, just saying that buying a 'turn key' package can be, and often is, more expensive than building your own.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
i agree with matt on this one too
when it's a fresh build atleast you know how much you can expect out of it and how hard you can push it
with a "turn key" 9 sec car id be constantly paranoid of it blowing!!

·
Registered
426 Posts
The problem with buying a 'turn key' package is that 9 times out of 10, the key has been turned many times and the life expectancy of the engine is next to nothing; as has happened numerous times on here before.

I'm not by any means saying yours is the same, just saying that buying a 'turn key' package can be, and often is, more expensive than building your own.
This car would be the 1 then, has had world class workshops working on this car (croydon racing developments, godzilla motorsport). Ran high 9's on low mounts, low 9's on a high mount and as far as i'm aware has never missed a beat. The car is too famous over here for people not to know whats happening with it. This car has been running 9's for years, I don't know how much more reliable you could get?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
30k sounds about right but it must be spent in the right garage, it takes more than just cash to run 9s.

its interesting how a few years ago everyone wanted a 10 sec car, now 9s are a must have.

kev

1 - 20 of 25 Posts