GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys looking for a adjustable rear anti roll bar a white line one would be great but provided its adjustable and can be made stiffer than the standard one I will be happy.

You can PM me with what you have or just post on this thread cheers

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi, Can I ask why you want a stiffer rear roll bar? I've been told it's a good idea to remove it completely in some instances.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi, Can I ask why you want a stiffer rear roll bar? I've been told it's a good idea to remove it completely in some instances.
In what instances might those be? Removing the rear ARB is only going to provoke understeer, and as far as my experience goes that's never been a good thing!

·
Registered
113 Posts
In what instances might those be? Removing the rear ARB is only going to provoke understeer, and as far as my experience goes that's never been a good thing!
That's interesting as removal of the rear arb was suggested by a very well known tuner as a method of helping the car turn in, I seem to remember the idea behind this is to let the rear suspension work more independently and to use the natural rear bump steer that comes with increased wheel travel to reduce the load on the steering.
However does follow that when cornering under power the rear would be less likely to lift the inside wheel,this would improve rear end grip and could increase chance of power understeer. The person who gave me the suggestion does not use hicas and was talking to me about his experience on the track. I drive mainly on the roads and after speaking to another mechanic not to remove the rear arb due to the safety aspect of removing a part of the chassis Nissan had fitted.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
It's a Middlehurst / Rod Bell thing to remove the rear arb isn't it?

No doubt there's some proper experience behind it. But the arbs really need to be used to tune a complete package of suspension, diffs, power and 4wd setup not to mention driver preference. So for example if you run higher rear spring rates at the rear you could remove the rear arb and have the same effect as running a "conventional" rwd lower rear spring rate with an uprate rear arb.

I know Abbey like to remove the front arb based on their track experience, which goes to show there's no one right way.

Personally I have the front and rear whiteline arbs, front soft, rear hard and front 8kg springs, rear 6kg. Works nicely. I wouldn't claim its the fastest way but it feels right for me on track.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would just like to sample the car car with a stiffer rear arb, maybe i wont like it but the standard shocks on my car are near new but still soft so wanted to stop a lot of roll before it starts to oversteer.
I know stiffening it will make the car have less rear grip probably but i am happy with that as to my mind when it does slide it will happen in a more linear fashion although maybe sooner.
I dont like the feel of roll and then the break away.
I just think i should try one, probably i will end up putting standard one on lol

Thanks chaps

·
Registered
113 Posts
No doubt there's some proper experience behind it. But the arbs really need to be used to tune a complete package of suspension, diffs, power and 4wd setup not to mention driver preference.
Bang on Alex! Its all about the complete package, our cars are all very different, and we are all looking for our cars to handle the way we want them too.

I hope you find the setup your after msingh,its time consuming but worth it when you get there.
I'm not sure if its relevant but rally cars sometimes use twin springs ( similar to the aerial atom) to allow them to remove the arbs front and rear, the tender spring allows the initial movement and feel of suspension to feel soft, before binding and transferring to the main spring, this gives a similar the feel of an arb without affecting the independence of the suspension.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts