GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Must be amazing to drive that track!! How was the car compared to Sliverstone? did you cure the under steer? I can see the car behaving a lot better than previously.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
'kin AWESOOME Alex:clap::clap:

Car looking very quick and you are definitely more than capable of diriving it!!!!!!!

So envious of your trip - desperately hope I'll get mine to the ring in May... Did you manage to get there too?

Also can you make Brands on Mon 7th??

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Must be amazing to drive that track!! How was the car compared to Sliverstone? did you cure the under steer? I can see the car behaving a lot better than previously.

Yeah, I moved the rear ARB onto the hard setting and you basically get throttle oversteer on demand. I also change the diff to solid bushes which helps a bit too. Like the best computer game you ever played :)

It is possible to make it understeer if you are late on the throttle but if you are in a neutral steady state, say through the second part of Pouhon you can just add throttle to tighten the line AND add speed it's proper magic.

Worth saying that the Skylab controller was excellent on the first day which had really variable conditions - typical for Spa - you could dial it up and down to get the same balance in the car as the dry albeit with less grip.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Looked very good Alex and a lovely circuit.

As Sam asked, you about on the 7th April? Quite a few of us at Brands.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
'kin AWESOOME Alex:clap::clap:

Car looking very quick and you are definitely more than capable of diriving it!!!!!!!

So envious of your trip - desperately hope I'll get mine to the ring in May... Did you manage to get there too?

Also can you make Brands on Mon 7th??
Lol all I could manage was a 2.59 (continous) over two days and really the car probably has 10secs better in it - I'm a big girl's blouse.

I ended up doing two days at Spa partly because it was so wet on the Saturday and partly because I was having a great time - basically it was the track weekend you dream of - everything was perfect.

Hopefully I can do the 7th but the 964 needs an engine rebuild which may limit my budget and fun this year slightly.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Interesting stuff, couldn't see but do you heel and toe?
Interesting - yes normally I do, on that lap I was demonstrating to my pal that you can actually do smooth downshifts without heel toe - my point was that it's better not to heel toe than do it badly and upset the car.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Alex just do the 7 th!!!! SERIOUSLY you must come to this!

.... the 7th will go down in history as "the" day:) 7 of us already booked... Even I have booked for the whole day! (Used my credit for getting black flagged last year:D)

I've been going to brands for nearly a decade but think this day will be more special than any other!!!!

How did the car perform? Any probs? ...

Only been to Spa once... Was in the Germans r32... Big ends failed... More fun going back to recover his 32 the following week:)

Amazing place!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alex just do the 7 th!!!! SERIOUSLY you must come to this!

.... the 7th will go down in history as "the" day:) 7 of us already booked... Even I have booked for the whole day! (Used my credit for getting black flagged last year:D)

I've been going to brands for nearly a decade but think this day will be more special than any other!!!!

How did the car perform? Any probs? ...

Only been to Spa once... Was in the Germans r32... Big ends failed... More fun going back to recover his 32 the following week:)

Amazing place!
The car was epic. The fact I was lying on my back in the rain at 11pm the night before we left putting the diff back in made it all the more impressive - I didn't have time to roll a wheel arch that was rubbing at Silverstone so I did it in the pit garage on Saturday - proper RoadKill episode material.

I ran it low on fuel boosting out of the last chicane on an installation lap on Sunday am and really upset it - it ran super lean and really got the hump - limped it back to the pits. I panicked and found someone in the pitlane with Mark at Abbey's mobile (he's in Spa now) and he kindly suggested a couple of things to try but oddly after standing an hour and a full tank of gas it was fine again and I spanked it for the rest of the day. I had a little trouble getting heat into the brakes in the wet but that's really first world problems...

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Interesting - yes normally I do, on that lap I was demonstrating to my pal that you can actually do smooth downshifts without heel toe - my point was that it's better not to heel toe than do it badly and upset the car.
Totally agree.

Seen some people try and fail badly, sometimes going off!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some wet action on Saturday, again no heel toe - normally in the wet I would always but I decided to simplify given the dicey conditions and I was really just walking it into the corners.

Lots of fun playing with the Skylab controller to get the balance just right for maximum entertainment. I was having so much fun I stayed out for 45 mins in this sort of weather - from wet to full monsoon. At one point at 125mph on Kemmel the rain stepped up and the wipers began to lose the battle and I lost sight of the brake boards and then the edges of the track on either side of me - Yikes!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
The car was epic. The fact I was lying on my back in the rain at 11pm the night before we left putting the diff back in made it all the more impressive - I didn't have time to roll a wheel arch that was rubbing at Silverstone so I did it in the pit garage on Saturday - proper RoadKill episode material.

I ran it low on fuel boosting out of the last chicane on an installation lap on Sunday am and really upset it - it ran super lean and really got the hump - limped it back to the pits. I panicked and found someone in the pitlane with Mark at Abbey's mobile (he's in Spa now) and he kindly suggested a couple of things to try but oddly after standing an hour and a full tank of gas it was fine again and I spanked it for the rest of the day. I had a little trouble getting heat into the brakes in the wet but that's really first world problems...

Was it just fuel surge do you think?

Yeah agreed trying to heel and toe whilst on a quick/less slow lap is just something else for me to get wrong.. I try and do it but as soon as I start going less slow I don't trust my clumsy feet hitting the brake pedal properly...

Maybe there is a point to the R35?

:D

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah my instinct is that it was a devils own fuel surge and filled the system up with air and/or overheated the fuel pump, which sorted itself out after sitting to cool in a tank of fresh petrol. On the phone Mark straight away said to take the top off the tank and see if the pump has fallen off its mount - so I will still do that as that would also make sense.

I did have a fairly high expectation of trailering the car back it must be said, as I have seen plenty of threads on here of RB's expiring at Spa. Maybe without an AFR gauge I would have blown it up after the fuel surge but I saw it was lean and backed right off.

Sometimes my heel toe mojo is strong and I can be pretty silky but usually that's when I'm feeling really on top of the car - not a feeling that Spa in the wet inspires much! I intend to maintain my 3 year "still not crashed at Raidillon" streak as long as possible :)

I took notes from a Mike Wildes onboard lap in a 997 GT3 (2.55) which gave me some new lines to try especially at Bruxelles (which most people call "that corner I hate") and being brave through Blanchiment.

I was surprised by the fairly low terminal speed of 140mph on Kemmel (thats is true GPS speed though), I was expecting a little more but I guess it is a brick.

It was so quiet, almost no red flags amazingly, I felt like I had the place to myself, looking at the data though almost every lap I either had a yellow flag section or a car to negotiate - also my "cool down laps" were taking 6 mins!

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,035 Posts
Nice vid. :) Definitely understeering on the exit of Les Combes, through Bruxelles and Liege though. Are you on track tyres?

140 is a decent GPS speed down Kemmel tbh. It's all about momentum through Eau Rouge and Raidillon. Seem to recall Mark telling me that Ted's 32 is maxing at about 145 - also a brick like 32.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh well that's alright if Ted's is only seeing 145 I don't feel so bad. I know I do 125-130 in the 964 which has a mighty 176bhp at four wheels!

The line in Eau Rouge makes a massive difference, I was passenger in a mates car and suggested a line more like the one in the vid and he gained 5mph terminal speed. In the vid I'm compromised by the Audi I'm trying to arrange not to meet half way up the hill and instead go under him at the exit.

A048s on the car in that video.

I think I just mistimed the turn-in and throttle on the third Les Combe on that lap, I don't remember there being systemic understeer there, you may hear me on the audio going "marrh" when I realised I'd stuffed it, I didn't get the oversteer I was wanting on the short straight which left me too far right and wasn't positioned in time to turn in at the correct point.

Bruxelles is off camber and downhill as you know - so if you are going to understeer anywhere that's the place - even worse than Luffield, as it goes you can actually see me making a small correction just after turning in to catch a little oversteer, the grippy line is often round the outside like that in the first half, then the additional lock is needed to tighten the line to cross the crown and make the late apex, basically once you cross the crown you can power through the remainder. If you tighten too late you don't cross the crown and just understeer wide, too early and as you apply the power you cross the crown again and again undertseer, there is a corridor you need to get in - and I pretty much hooked it up on that lap.

I'm not hitting the brake pedal hard enough on the high speed stuff you can see me easing into the pedal.

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,035 Posts
I followed Mansell - he was there with his sons - around Bruxelles some years ago. They were going in deep, late turn-in, apex and out as straight as possible. It does seem to help.

I didn't follow them for long obviously. ;-)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts