GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi my R32 GTR boot lock doesn't open with the key (it is seized)

If a locksmith cannot unseize it

Will I be able to replace it with a K11 Nissan Micra lock? (As they are easier to get a hold of)

If not, where is the best place to get a working R32 GTR boot lock (where you insert the key) new or used?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Almost all japanese cars come with 2 different keys from factory. The normal one and the valet key.
The valet key is for parking service. It will only work in the ignition and doors and not in the trunk and glovebox so they can't open it. That's why you also have a switch at the trunk lock to disable the opener handle for the trunk.

If this is your problem, get a new key made from the 4 digit keycode stamped to the driver side door lock.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Can you open it with the cable pull in the interior? I would try some powdered graphite sprayed into the lock and then using the main key try to work the lock, I have gotten sticky locks to turn this way. Once you get the trunk open you can remove the lock and have it serviced by a locksmith.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Almost all japanese cars come with 2 different keys from factory. The normal one and the valet key.
The valet key is for parking service. It will only work in the ignition and doors and not in the trunk and glovebox so they can't open it. That's why you also have a switch at the trunk lock to disable the opener handle for the trunk.

If this is your problem, get a new key made from the 4 digit keycode stamped to the driver side door lock.
Thank you, I am using the main key, I assume the boot lock is seized

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you open it with the cable pull in the interior? I would try some powdered graphite sprayed into the lock and then using the main key try to work the lock, I have gotten sticky locks to turn this way. Once you get the trunk open you can remove the lock and have it serviced by a locksmith.
Thank you, I can open it with the cable pull

I would prefer it to be also opened with the key

Is it easy to remove the lock from the boot? How do you do this?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How easy is the lock to remove from the boot, any ideas how to do it?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also my battery has been relocated to the boot

Is there a way you can trickle charge from the R32 engine bay?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look behind the lock. There is a retainer that you can slide out to free it. I had a key made for mine since it was different from all of the rest. I should've had the locksmith key it to the original key since it was only a few more dollars.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Also my battery has been relocated to the boot

Is there a way you can trickle charge from the R32 engine bay?
A proper relocation like what Nissan did for the R33 will have positive and negative battery terminals at the fuse box so you can charge the battery from the engine side. Nobody can say for sure how your R32 works because the relocation is an aftermarket modification. Competently done it should be possible but if it was done poorly you may not have any battery terminal access outside of the trunk.

How easy is the lock to remove from the boot, any ideas how to do it?
If it's anything like the R33 you pull the little metal retainer off the lock and then basically the entire thing just pulls out. Then you can take it to a locksmith to get it looked at.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts