GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the GTR scene and just looking around to see what people run brake wise. Going to give my brakes a tart up with braided lines, new fluid and discs and pads. I will use the car on the road and possibly once or twice on track/the ring doing roughly 6000miles a year.
I've read loads of threads about people running Ds2500pads and EBC groved and slotted discs... ok the pads will be softer and have more 'bite' but is the difference between a EBC OEM disc and a ultra quite or slotted disc that noticeable? I mean i can see on track how having that bit extra surface area for cooling might help but not greatly. For use on the road am i actually going to see might difference? The car will be running approx 450bhp so not stupid power for pub bragging rights and even then unless i'm on a hoon it'll be like slowing down any other road car.
The point i'm making is OEM dsics are £120/paid and slotted-zinc coated are £200/pair and i want to know if anyone has seen any benefit driving fast on the road with the more expensive pair?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It is a bit hit and miss with EBC brakes particular the discs from our experience. DBA make a good range of discs coupled with some good pads such as DS2500 or even endless or project mu pads from japan would be a good idea. Are you running Brembo or Nissan calipers? We can help you with brake like kit drop a pm if you need prices and further info.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a bit hit and miss with EBC brakes particular the discs from our experience. DBA make a good range of discs coupled with some good pads such as DS2500 or even endless or project mu pads from japan would be a good idea. Are you running Brembo or Nissan calipers? We can help you with brake like kit drop a pm if you need prices and further info.
Only thing is i've heard DBA are expensive compared to EBC, i know it's the usual case of you get what you pay for and with running a road going car i just want a fairly sharp set of brakes. Do you guys stock EBC? I'll drop you a pm.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have any of you guys tried these?

ebay item no. 321436869086

Just rung the shop and they say it's made by a engineering shop and that they've been using them for years....

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you are still running the Nissan calipers then you will for sure need a decent set up as they struggle to stop compared to the Brembo set up.

EBC are not the best yes the are cheap, you get what you pay for.

Nissan OEM are drilled discs and handed. If you spec them with a decent pad the should stop you but once they get hot they will eventually crack.

We are the UK agent for DBA and I do recommend the Ferodo but for your caliper can be quite expensive.We do supply the Hawk pads which we keep in stock similar compound and half the price!

Let me know if you want to price them.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Yea it's a r32 - No Brembos
You can improve the stock r32 stuff but there are limitations. You can improve feel with a bigger master and hard hoses. Better pads of course.

Maybe fresh disks and goods pads will be enough for you. For track work I you might want to look at a new set up.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Because it's mainly road use i'll be keeping the stock setup. I have braided lines on order. Ordering the EBC dimpled/ultra discs up front and blanks for the rear. Yet to decide on pads, either yellow stuff or will look into the hawk pads ClarkMotorsport recommend.

·
Registered
115 Posts
OEM discs are usually better, especially for daily use. It also depends on the quality of the aftermarket brand when it comes to comparison.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well i'll be ordering EBC on the fronts and back. I've heard mixed reviews but they seem a reputable company and from what information I can gather seem fit for purpose- I think. (road use).

All advice appreciated guys

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
EBC std discs are better than those grooved dimpled ones which have a tendency to warp. Better go for EBC blanks. As suggested a master cylinder upgrade would defo be on my list and also R33 brembo front and rear. They use bigger discs which I feel is a better setup for road and occasional track use.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Don't listen to the haters. Ebc are fine for the road. At the end of the day (I hope!) you'll never use your brakes repeatedly hard enough to fade them. If it was track, that's different. I'd manage about 5 laps of castle coombe on OEM calipers with ebc discs and pads. After that pedal to the floor and brown trousers.

The best advice is as above, brake stopper, lines, new fluid etc.

Have fun with it!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Don't listen to the haters. Ebc are fine for the road. At the end of the day (I hope!) you'll never use your brakes repeatedly hard enough to fade them. If it was track, that's different. I'd manage about 5 laps of castle coombe on OEM calipers with ebc discs and pads. After that pedal to the floor and brown trousers.

The best advice is as above, brake stopper, lines, new fluid etc.

Have fun with it!
This is what i wanted too hear. I can appreciate them not lasting long on track and cracking but on the road i'm sure the size will be efficient enough.

Going with the advice and getting new blanks all round, i'll put the money saving in the pot for bigger brakes when the time comes. :rolleyes:

Did order 'MLR' (Matt Lewis Racing) braided lines. Not only a good price but would rather support a UK manufacturer..... but thinking of sending back and going with HEL. Need to decide on pads too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts