GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm making some videos of me struggling through the build of my R32. Hopefully it might offer a bit of amusement for you guys.

Should have a new episode up on Thursday/Friday to cover half of the roll over jig build.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woops. Forgot to update this... done a lot since 'starting' the roll over jig. Its now in primer! I'll nest all the videos below so you dont need to leave gtr.co.uk

The finale of the jig, getting the car rolled on its side!

This car will be raced, so this is fabricating FIA compliant harness mounts.

The shell has always been lovely and solid. There was one tiny hole behind a spat that I fixed in this video. Also rolled the arches and tool a first look at the air jacks.

Fitted all the tubes for the Group A air jacks. Original large diameter AP racing jacks so the shell is dead accurate :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And the last two to catch up!

Here a missed a few fab bits. The front cross member that normally holds the radiator is put under all kinds of strain on the group A cars. So this was changing a lot of the metal work to support it.

And primer! Big stress. No idea what I was doing.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
should I move this to projects? Might be seen more....
hey up to you mods :) I didn’t want to upset any rules. But more people watching is always good!

How did that air fed mask work out with the new compressor?
It was perfect! You’d spray for a few minutes then it would kick in, it would then maintain 8 bar which I regulated to 5. So I guess the mass flow actual was equal to my demand. It’s an 18cfm Clarke model.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hey up to you mods :) I didn’t want to upset any rules. But more people watching is always good!

It was perfect! You’d spray for a few minutes then it would kick in, it would then maintain 8 bar which I regulated to 5. So I guess the mass flow actual was equal to my demand. It’s an 18cfm Clarke model.
Is it a VE18C150? I've been looking at getting one. Are you quite happy with it so far?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
XET19/200 so 18cfm and 200l, cast iron cylinders rather than alloy to get it a bit quieter. Really happy with it, it’s absolutely fantastic :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm guessing that will be the same compressor that's on the 150 litre verticle set up, as it has the same CFM rating. What size/type of breaker have you got feeding it? Spec says 40a supply, but that sounds pretty high. I was thinking of a 16a supply with a c type breaker. But am no electrical expert.

Watched your latest video last night, car is looking good now! Is the outside going white as well?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think they had a lot of people returning the models with 3kw motors (18cfm) because they’d blow fuses, hence that 40A rubbish.

3kw at 230v is 13A continuous, then expect a big start up spike. I did exactly as you said, 16a type C and it’s absolutely fine :) much safer than having it on a 40A breaker too!

Thanks! keeping the original paint where I can, so it’ll stay gun metal. The idea behind the 326 white was that most of the group A cars seemed to be the same. White with a painted exterior. Some nice components would have got lost behind a grey interior too.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hi Alex,

Just watched all ten of your videos on you tube, how I've missed them up to now I have no idea. I found them really entertaining, love the detail and your dry sense of hummer, way better than a lot of the usual crap, where they do a really shit job and try to talk it up, telling everyone how good they are, nice to see the honesty and the fact you don't take yourself to serious, yet do the job right.

I struggle to see why the view count isn't higher, only thing I can think of is the way you title your posts, maybe instead of putting,

Top coat, new compressor, so much excitement - R32 Build: Episode Ten

You put,
R32 Build: Episode Ten - Top coat, new compressor, so much excitement

It's only a little thing, but on you tube I found it little harder to find the next episode not knowing what the title was, once I entered R32 Build: Episode two, it came straight up, could be worth a shot.

Love to do this kind of thing myself, but I'm a lot older fatter and uglier than you are, so I'll leave it in your capable hands.

Anyway, love what your doing so keep it up, subscribed.

Reactions: Simonh

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks buddy :) appreciate all the kind words. Always good to hear people enjoying the videos.

It's all fairly new, so I'm kind of happy with the views its getting at the moment, but I heavily rely on word of mouth and people sharing the links really. I've only got a few groups I can share it in really so it will start to plateau. The problem is YouTube's algorithm is more focused on things like upload frequency I believe, so good content wont get you support from them only from others!

I did actually start the series off with the names the other way around lol, I didnt want to limit myself to people who were only interested in R32s. Personally I think they're the best car in the world, but many might not agree. I wanted to try and attract people that might be interested in the individual video subject. Personally if I need to figure out how to do something I'll smack it into youtube's search (eg "TIG welding aluminium") and read the first few words of the titles.

Its a good point about struggling to find the next video though! I'll look into that. I think I can put them in a play list so the next video will be on the right hand side, maybe I should look into that. Or maybe I could keep the titles a bit shorter so it's visible still :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bit of an update, made some stands for some jacks I shouldn't have bought.

Really looking forward to the next stage of getting it on the floor and bolting the first shiney bits to the shell. This was a bit of a slog though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts