GTR Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Hi there Alex.

I'm currently working from home at the moment with all my CAD workstation, usually I'm at Dunton, (Ford's centre in Laindon). They've got all the gear you could ever need/imagine, unfortunately they're not big on sharing and helping out guys building N1 race car. 馃槩
I find that you can measure up hard points pretty easily with a range of measuring equipment, (rulers, callipers, angle gauges etc), from there you can usually eye the rest of the structure joining these points up. The upright shouldn't be too difficult, the spat on the other hand is all A class surface and not easy to measure as you'd image. If one will be a 'reproduction' why not both? i.e, buy some replicas. I know its not going with the ethos of your build, but if you don't have two,...........
Lol, I work at Dunton too. Although WFH too.

Yeah, my plan was to measure the upright by hand. The reason I wanted to do the spats myself is because no one makes them properly, they don't go under the car enough. Also wanted to learn some medium-complex mould making and composite skills so I can use them on other components too.

GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
Really ?馃槻. What a small world ! :rolleyes:

I'm Air Induction senior CAD and have been for years, (but I do other OEM work on the side too ;)).
Where do you work?

My copy spats go under the car by ~230mm.
If copies don't go under the car enough, why not buy a set, take a mould and extend them?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Really ?馃槻. What a small world ! :rolleyes:

I'm Air Induction senior CAD and have been for years, (but I do other OEM work on the side too ;)).
Where do you work?

My copy spats go under the car by ~230mm.
If copies don't go under the car enough, why not buy a set, take a mould and extend them?
I was an lead emis cal in powertrain for a while, recently moved to connected data.

We'll I've got a real spat, so I was going to create a plug from it by taking section measurements with contour tools. But if I can scan it I could create those sections in CAD instead and save myself the head ache. I can't take a mould directly because it's a mates and I don't want to risk any damage. Its also easier to get a good finish on a plug rather than filling reversed stone chips in a mould.

Awsome build , just started my way through the vids,
Cheers! :)

GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
Ok, so say you get it scanned and in CAD, how are you going to get it out? CNC moulds?
Do you have that capability?
That's why I suggest taking copy parts and change them as you see fit, (extend them in further) . Most of the work is already done for you.

Premium Member
there are some phone apps you can download that actually allow you to do a 3d scan of an object and upload it into CAD now - could be useful.

GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
there are some phone apps you can download that actually allow you to do a 3d scan of an object and upload it into CAD now - could be useful.
My phone does this, but the accuracy is not good enough to use for things like this.

Premium Member
Granted it is nver going to be as good as a proper tool but with my iphone 12 pro it is remarkable good, certainly enough to use as a starting point, from there to a 3d printer and refined by hand would certainly be good enough to create a plug/mould from.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Properly interesting that. I just had a look and don't think the stability is really up to it for me to justify the contract lol, but certainly a sign of things to come.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Ok, I'll let you off, that looks like a valid reason. ;) 馃憤

Going to do a garage build series then???? Joking !!!

The thought crossed my mind actually! I've not been bothered to pick a camera up in ages.

On another note, found a chap in Dunton with a 3d scanner at home. Not the most stable of things, but managed to get a few surfaces from the spat before handing it back.

GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
That's good news. Are you able to manipulate the file once you have it?
I've Catia here at home, but I've never played with 3rd party surface files.
What format are the file sin?

I still think 'copies' are a simpler way to go. Sorry :censored:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
That's good news. Are you able to manipulate the file once you have it?
I've Catia here at home, but I've never played with 3rd party surface files.
What format are the file sin?

I still think 'copies' are a simpler way to go. Sorry :censored:
they're stl files. I'm going to have a crack with solidworks and pro-e. I'll definitely each out if I need a hand though.

Oh i'm not arguing that copies would be simpler. But they're not right, they don't go under the car enough and I like things to be accurate. The most intelligent route would be to take the 拢750 hit or so and get some genuines, I'm sure I'll be in it that much once I've made them myself anyway.

GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
STL files are pigs when it comes to CAD.
Not much reads them, (even less convert them), and if it does you can't manipulate them easy. At least this is my experience with Catia, Vismockup & SDRC's Ideas.

Solidworks is also a Dassult product like Catia, so possibly the same. Pro E is pretty, (very), old now. I used it with Audi in the 00's.

If you'd like a hand looking at them, I'd be more than happy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Hey buddy. Yeah its getting there!

Its all up now. I've imposed a deadline of the end of the month to move the car. The garage needs to be at a point where it's only doors, electrics and benches left. Childcare bills incoming this month... so need to free up the unit costs.

I'm just painting the floor, and then its good to move in. Think I might pick up the camera for a 'catch up' as I'm bolting some bits to the car to get it rolling.

Also... I bought an e92 m3 to try and stop the skyline spend a bit (man logic). It means I'll slow down with the skyline build a little, try and enjoy other parts of car and family life a bit more. Going forwards I'd like fabrication work to fund the skyline.

(don't worry, m3 isn't in the shed now, i was just changing the brakes)

Car Tire Plant Vehicle Building

Registered
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
It'll be slightly smaller... but I think it'll work better and be a nicer place overall.

Driven plenty of E46 M3's, normal and csl, and do like them.

For me the E92 offers both more refinement and also feels a bit more ridiculous. An n/a V8 on ITBs that revs to 8300rpm with a dual clutch trans is quite a nice coupling to be behind :)

61 - 80 of 80 Posts