GTR Forum banner

R32 GTR Build Diaries

11K views 82 replies 13 participants last post by  alexcrosse 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm making some videos of me struggling through the build of my R32. Hopefully it might offer a bit of amusement for you guys.

Should have a new episode up on Thursday/Friday to cover half of the roll over jig build.

#36 ·
Hi alex i started watching last week and am amazed and throughly enjoying watching the vids ive subscribed. Im just up to subframe stuff atm. As a 32 owner also id love to get to this level and i love the air Jacks they are awesome!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

#37 ·
Hi alex i started watching last week and am amazed and throughly enjoying watching the vids ive subscribed. Im just up to subframe stuff atm. As a 32 owner also id love to get to this level and i love the air Jacks they are awesome!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, really appreciate the kind feedback & glad you're enjoying it :)

#51 ·
Forgot to update this, and had the realisation now I've been on this head for 2 months.

This was trying my hand at head porting, I can see why everything is CNC now.

This was maximum head frustration. And if you don't find these turbo elbows exciting you're on the wrong build thread.

Next day or two will see me dropping all the parts off at Thurston, so the next couple of jobs are body / interior. I borrowed an N1 rear spat off a friend of mine so I might try my hand at mould making. Welcome break from die grinders.

#52 ·
Been a bit slow I'm afraid. I've been trying to do some bits of fabrication for others as well as house renovation.

Also the unit is becoming a bit of an issue too. The rent has gone up and the value is no longer there for me really, so I'm looking to build a 'shed' at the end of the garden instead. It'll pay for itself within a couple of years.

Anyway, enough excuses.

#53 ·
So the series will turn into a shed build then Alex?
Its still a great watch though, I eagerly await each update. 👍
Also, couldn't you add some Dyna Mat to the rear of that bulk head to stop in drumming so much?
Or is that not how the 'blue car' did it?

#54 ·
cheers dude :) glad you’re enjoying it!

I could try and stick stuff to it, and Dynamat is a good shout actually. I think anything might be p’ing in the wind really. There’s no sound deadening anywhere, and it’s got a solid mounted diff and straight cut box. I’ll vibe it once it’s up and running :)

blue car chopped the back seat, welded in a steel bulkhead and box section structure with a rivnut’d access panel to the battery. It’s why I didn’t film fabricating the back panels, was a bit fed up it wasn’t identical. Next time...

I’m unsure whether to go into the shed build? I’ll probably make a judgement on if I think it’s interesting enough lol.

#55 ·
Mechanical noise is one thing, but a flat panel needlessly panting around could be annoying. Just my 2p.

And like I commented before, (probably on YouTube), if you'd like help CAD'ing up that rear upright to get CNC replicas made, let me know. 👍

#57 ·
And like I commented before, (probably on YouTube), if you'd like help CAD'ing up that rear upright to get CNC replicas made, let me know. 👍
Thanks mate, appreciate the offer. I don't suppose you have access to any scanning / measuring tools within your profession then?

The rear upright is quite strange on the Group A cars, what I have is actually only half the picture. I'll do the modelling for them because I'll need to create the other sections from the existing dimensions of this upright, standardised parts, and geo info... one day. Once the garage is built.

I do have an N1 rear spat that ideally I'd like scanned though, so I can create some tooling for it. Do you know anyone? I'm not in the right design circles anymore!

#56 ·
Im in the middle of binge-watching all your videos on youtube and just saw this thread here, very nice work and entertaining channel imo, keep it up :D
So where is that list of stuff you need/want to sell from this car that you keep talking about? (Okay perhaps you didnt mention a list, but there is always a list!)

#58 ·
Glad you're enjoying buddy :) sorry for the hiatus, trying to keep two babies running and build a garage at the moment.

I've not got bits from this car left anymore. I did a massive purge on ebay and got rid of it all. I think I've got a set of rear seatbelts and a HKS boost gauge kicking about.

But I am trying to make some bits for people going forwards, and will try and ramp it up once the garage is finished. I can do sump extensions, baffles, potentially some water and oil control bits. I need to put some money back into the build (because I don't have any) so its a good opportunity to do it.

#59 ·
Hi there Alex.

I'm currently working from home at the moment with all my CAD workstation, usually I'm at Dunton, (Ford's centre in Laindon). They've got all the gear you could ever need/imagine, unfortunately they're not big on sharing and helping out guys building N1 race car. 😢
I find that you can measure up hard points pretty easily with a range of measuring equipment, (rulers, callipers, angle gauges etc), from there you can usually eye the rest of the structure joining these points up. The upright shouldn't be too difficult, the spat on the other hand is all A class surface and not easy to measure as you'd image. If one will be a 'reproduction' why not both? i.e, buy some replicas. I know its not going with the ethos of your build, but if you don't have two,...........

#61 ·
Hi there Alex.

I'm currently working from home at the moment with all my CAD workstation, usually I'm at Dunton, (Ford's centre in Laindon). They've got all the gear you could ever need/imagine, unfortunately they're not big on sharing and helping out guys building N1 race car. 😢
I find that you can measure up hard points pretty easily with a range of measuring equipment, (rulers, callipers, angle gauges etc), from there you can usually eye the rest of the structure joining these points up. The upright shouldn't be too difficult, the spat on the other hand is all A class surface and not easy to measure as you'd image. If one will be a 'reproduction' why not both? i.e, buy some replicas. I know its not going with the ethos of your build, but if you don't have two,...........
Lol, I work at Dunton too. Although WFH too.

Yeah, my plan was to measure the upright by hand. The reason I wanted to do the spats myself is because no one makes them properly, they don't go under the car enough. Also wanted to learn some medium-complex mould making and composite skills so I can use them on other components too.

#62 ·
Really ?😲. What a small world ! :rolleyes:

I'm Air Induction senior CAD and have been for years, (but I do other OEM work on the side too ;)).
Where do you work?

My copy spats go under the car by ~230mm.
If copies don't go under the car enough, why not buy a set, take a mould and extend them?

#64 ·
Really ?😲. What a small world ! :rolleyes:

I'm Air Induction senior CAD and have been for years, (but I do other OEM work on the side too ;)).
Where do you work?

My copy spats go under the car by ~230mm.
If copies don't go under the car enough, why not buy a set, take a mould and extend them?
I was an lead emis cal in powertrain for a while, recently moved to connected data.

We'll I've got a real spat, so I was going to create a plug from it by taking section measurements with contour tools. But if I can scan it I could create those sections in CAD instead and save myself the head ache. I can't take a mould directly because it's a mates and I don't want to risk any damage. Its also easier to get a good finish on a plug rather than filling reversed stone chips in a mould.

Awsome build , just started my way through the vids,
Cheers! :)

#65 ·
Ok, so say you get it scanned and in CAD, how are you going to get it out? CNC moulds?
Do you have that capability?
That's why I suggest taking copy parts and change them as you see fit, (extend them in further) . Most of the work is already done for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.