GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. After a long time of not finding a carbon centre fascia for R32s, I decided to make my own. It's not finished yet and not for sale (don't want to get in trouble for not being a trader), but wanted to get feedback from people if it's something there might be a demand for?
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
I decided to have a straight panel instead of the ashtray section. It made the design a bit easier and, for me at least, it's now a usable space to mount things (switches, guages etc.).
The stereo/climate/guages section can be left solid, as in the picture (more for motorsport cars that have done away with those items and can mount other things in place) or can be trimmed out for a stock fitment around stereo/climate etc.
So, as I say, I'm just wanting to get feedback and opinions, on the item itself and whether there would be much call for it, to determine whether I should offer them for sale?
Cheers

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I need one of these in my life! Looks really good from the photos and like you say I want to ditch the ashtray as there's no way in the history of the world a GTR should be smoked in, no matter how cool you look doing it!

Perfect for what I have planned to move the gauges to the centre, ditch the stereo and move the boost controller to where the ashtray is, then finally replace my dash. PM a cost and some info.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need one of these in my life! Looks really good from the photos and like you say I want to ditch the ashtray as there's no way in the history of the world a GTR should be smoked in, no matter how cool you look doing it!

Perfect for what I have planned to move the gauges to the centre, ditch the stereo and move the boost controller to where the ashtray is, then finally replace my dash. PM a cost and some info.
With regards to pricing, that is going to depend entirely on how many I could sell. I would guess that it would be something in the £150 region, give or take. But, at the moment, I am not a registered trader, so I believe that I cannot sell them yet.

It's 100% carbon fibre (ie. not laid on fibre glass), with the weave matched as best I can, and then autoclaved. The finished sheen can be tailored to personal taste (more or less resin/laquer for more or less gloss)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great work, well done :clap:

Just one question, but how do you mount it??

Can't see any of the latches for the stock screws and clips :nervous:

Cheers,

Leo
Well spotted Leo :) That is one of the 2 things I am trying to sort out at the moment. The other being how to get the standard gear stick gaiter frame to clip in. That's why it is not finished yet.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,193 Posts
I cannot see a breather tube for the A/C temp sensor (at least that's what I assume it is).

Usually it's down on the right side below the ash tray.

You could always relocate the tube to an 'easier' location say on the new flat panel where the ashtray was.

Otherwise it looks very tidy. Probably not for me but I'm surethat the carbon fetishists here will love it!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cannot see a breather tube for the A/C temp sensor (at least that's what I assume it is).

Usually it's down on the right side below the ash tray.

You could always relocate the tube to an 'easier' location say on the new flat panel where the ashtray was.

Otherwise it looks very tidy. Probably not for me but I'm surethat the carbon fetishists here will love it!
Hi Cris. Yeah, I've deleted the A/C from mine, so designed it out. But it simply needs a hole or slit made to retain cabin temperature capability.

I'm still toying with the idea of getting you to do my headlights, by the way, but no longer at Austec, so will contact you through here when the time comes :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
That looks really nice mate.

I don't know how you can make them for £150, what with the cost of materials alone etc.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That looks really nice mate.

I don't know how you can make them for £150, what with the cost of materials alone etc.
Thanks. Price is kept down as it's done from home and I'm not doing it as a sole income, also assumes that I could get a reasonable number of orders.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What you doing for an autoclave at home out of interest?
I have a couple. Just home made stuff. I live on a farm, so I have quite a bit of space and a lot of stuff lying around.

You just need a heavy duty pressure vessel with a valve plumbed to it, a heating element in the bottom and a vacuum line running through into the vessel to connect to the bag that the item is in.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That looks brilliant, if you ever decide to do these for the R34, my name is down for one!
Thanks. I thought this sort of thing was available for 33s and 34s already, but if that's not the case and if there's enough interest, I'd be more than happy to do them. Also, if anyone has any thoughts of anything else that isn't available that they think might be popular, feel free to let me know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts