GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just a quick question wondering if anyone knows the law on this.

Is it legal to have a 30cm front motorcycle number plate on a r32 gtr. I ask as I heard this was allowed on jap imported cars when the standard number plate fixing spot is this size.
The motorcycle style plate has all the letters/number on 1 level(I.e. rectangle) unlike the rear which is a square.

I don't want to fit one and find myself with a nice fine from the police!lol

Any help much appreciated

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is what I found from another site how true this is I'm not sure?

"You can have a smaller than standard plate on your car if it does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval (i.e. it's a Jap, Australian, US etc. import), and the vehicle's construction/ design cannot accomodate a standard sized number plates (query how this would be interpreted in court).

Assuming you can satisfy the two limbs of the above test, you can have a number plate with a minimum of:

Character height- 64mm
Character width- (except the figure 1 or letter I) 44mm
Character stroke- 10mm
Space between characters- 10mm
Space between groups- 30 mm
Top, bottom and side margins- 11 mm
Space between vertical lines- 13 mm

(i.e. motorbike size)

Otherwise it's a minimum of:

Character height- 79 mm
Character width- (except the figure 1 or letter I) 50 mm
Character stroke- 14 mm
Space between characters- 11 mm
Space between groups- 33 mm
Space between vertical lines- 19 mm

Note that, providing you have the 11mm margin round the outside of the plate, and the characters are properly formatted and spaced, the physical plate can be as small as you like

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts

"You can have a smaller than standard plate on your car if it does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval (i.e. it's a Jap, Australian, US etc. import), and the vehicle's construction/ design cannot accomodate a standard sized number plates (query how this would be interpreted in court).

Assuming you can satisfy the two limbs of the above test, you can have a number plate with a minimum of:

Character height- 64mm
Character stroke- 10mm

(i.e. motorbike size)

Character height- 79 mm
Character stroke- 14 mm

Note that, providing you have the 11mm margin round the outside of the plate, and the characters are properly formatted and spaced, the physical plate can be as small as you like
This info is correct.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Re interpretaion
if the car has a spevific inset for a specific size plate one should have no problem in having a. Plate. That size.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

Character height- 64mm
Character stroke- 10mm

(i.e. motorbike size)

Character height- 79 mm
Character stroke- 14 mm

That's good, it all used to be on the .gov site but disappeared a few years ago.

Alex B

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
I have a legal five character plate in the smaller front on the front. It fits in the recess with a single stack plate (rather than double stack). Never been a problem for me.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
the size of the plate isnt really the issue its the size of the letters, font and spacing.

I used to run a small bike plate on my R32 GTR and the police didnt like it. So i switched to a full size plate placed behind the windscreen and never had any issues.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
the size of the plate isnt really the issue its the size of the letters, font and spacing.

I used to run a small bike plate on my R32 GTR and the police didnt like it. So i switched to a full size plate placed behind the windscreen and never had any issues.
I got a £100 fine for having my plate behind the windscreen. So be carefull

1 - 10 of 10 Posts