GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i have an r32 gtr with a factory fuel pump which had the relay / beefed up wiring mod to increase the voltage delivery - i am surprised that it supported 365awkw on 98 pump fuel!

how much power can these fuel pumps support as like to know if it will take up to 400awkw?

what are others getting out of this oem pump & have u heard of any other owners that are getting good power with this fuel pump?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good point, age is definitely a concerning factor.
I have a pierburg pump which flows like mofo...the challenge is mating the fuel sock to the pump inlet as there is no such thing as a submersible fuel hose which measures ID 15mm (give or take)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have tried all the major distributors & stockists such as pirtek, vpw racing, speedflow, earls, gates & purple pig.

the thing is that they stock submersible fuel hose BUT only up to 9.5mm, as per this below link:
Gates Corporation

this hose you refer to, are u certain its 'submersible' & is in fact rated to run in a fuel tank? i.e. the inner skin of fuel hose & outer skin needs to be rated for fuel

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I really think you're overthinking this man.
At the end of the day the pump over 20 years old. It's tired and for the sake of a few hundred dollars, not worth the risk of dead engine. Whack an 044, Nismo or the new Walbro in it and call it a day. Any of those pumps will do the power that you're chasing.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I really think you're overthinking this man.
At the end of the day the pump over 20 years old. It's tired and for the sake of a few hundred dollars, not worth the risk of dead engine. Whack an 044, Nismo or the new Walbro in it and call it a day. Any of those pumps will do the power that you're chasing.
Yup, if I was chasing 400kw I would just be putting a Nismo intank pump in and calling it.
If it was 500kw you would need to think surge tank and 044 with a new Nissan or similar lift pump.....or me with my Nismo lift pump and two 044s with a surge tank if you want 500kw or more and E85. (one day when it turns up at the pump here)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are right. I'm not gona use the OEM pump, not worth the risk.
Well I have the 044 pump spare so I could use that BUT I have a brand new shiny pierburg pump...I'll trial fit the 044 intank in its cradle and see how it fits. I'll probably have the same issue though of finding a fuel sock to fit the 044.
Does the nismo pump flow the same rate as the 044?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Does the nismo pump flow the same rate as the 044?
Not sure mate. I have both a Nismo here that I pulled out because it was in the car and did 8 years service. I'm sure it was fine but i changed it anyway. Maybe I should test both into a bucket and get some firm figures? The Nismo unit has been proven to do over 400 on E85 so it will be fine for 98.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
As said before , that power and an old stock pump is silly.

IMHO there is no point in trying to be diffferent you ar not trying to reinvent the wheel. Just fit a well proven pump in the tank All the flow rates will be easy to find on the interwebby as wil what will work at your power level

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The 044 supports somewhere between 600-700bhp on gasoline and has the same flow even at very, very high fuel pressures.
I ran a single Nismo pump with around 600bhp but i wasn't boosting over 1.4 bar.

But when i started running E85 the Nismo pump didn't last very long.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice guys.
I think I'll stick with the pierburg as this flows 66% more than the 044 (yes its overkill).

Getting it to fit the cradle is easy...finding the submersible don't exist so I'll run a high quality Earls EFI hose and should be fine :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.
I think I'll stick with the pierburg as this flows 66% more than the 044 (yes its overkill).

Getting it to fit the cradle is easy...finding the submersible don't exist so I'll run a high quality Earls EFI hose and should be fine :)
Just make sure that you don't need a controller for it.
Some extreme pumps can't be run at full blast for too long.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I bought it over a year ago and was 350 to 400 from memory.
My mate just bought 1 last week for 360.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts