GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
6,680 Posts
I have been considering this upgrade for a while.

I do know Bajie fitted a HID kit to his 32, but it was not cheap, but worked beautifully.

I have wondered about just fitting replacement HID bulbs in the place of the Projector units and even had prices back of ~£70. but not yet bitten the bullet.

Anyone else done anything to pip up the lights on a 32?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've had a HID kit on my R32 GTR for a few years new. Got it from that group buy with vision performance on here a while back. It only does the projector lights in H3C but it makes a massive difference. Only down side is the full beam are useless now as they are dimmer than the projectors. I think the kit was about £80ish in the group buy, with lifetime warranty (inc. bulbs)

Well worth the upgrade in my opinion.

Andy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im only after the projector HID bulbs, Dont care about the high beam as like you say the HID's are bright enough to drive with :)

Can you send me details of the make of them ? Any pics if possible ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
There is a little bit of blinding occasionally, mainly coming over the brow of hills etc. One of mine dont point completly in the right direction, but havent got round to re-aligning it, and its passed 2 or 3 MOTs so it must not be that much of a problem!

Heres some pics of the kit:

Heres the address and Phone No of where I got them from. Not sure what the price would be as mine was in a group buy.

Vision Performance,
Suite 6G,
Britannia House,
Leagrave Road,
Luton.
Beds.
LU3 1RJ.
0871-230 0456

Andy.

·
Premium Member
11,878 Posts
HID lights are illegal if fitted to R32/33 GTR's. It's unlikely that you will be found out, but if you do, it could cost you.

·
Premium Member
9,657 Posts
According to the department of transports view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If someone wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The legal rationale under the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK. Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law. However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However the department do feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead they use analogies with new vehicles saying it would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. However the same level of safety should apply in these cases. Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

* Be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.
* When fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).
* Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

So in reasonable 'Engrish' that means :

01.) The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 & be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

02.) Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

03.) The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean & aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal. So in summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

So as R32 COMBAT says ... its illegal & he knows his stuff trust me :p :thumbsup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So as R32 COMBAT says ... its illegal & he knows his stuff trust me :p :thumbsup:
I wasnt saying he didnt know his stuff but what you just posted means its not just R32's its illegal on, it would be ANY car really ! LOL

However it also says if there emarked and meet the requirements its ok ?

The ones pictured are e-marked therefore according to what you just posted they would be ok ?

Ach either way ill be doing it anyway so really im not to bothered as long as I can see where im going. If anything is illegal it should be running with the stock projectors ! there dangerous !

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
Just to throw a little spanner in the works the above would mean that ALL R33 and R34 HIDs are illegal too - they don't have self levelling lamps etc

I'm highly suspect of published interpretation of the law. Imported cars are very unlikely to have e-marked lamps yet still they go through SVA tests without compliant - can all of these cars really be sporting illegal lights?

The whole thing is highly suspect and if the interpretation is correct why has no-one been prosecuted. Make of this what you will.

I must also see when the 1989 act was passed, fingers crossed it wasn't at the start of '89, sometime after August would be nice...

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
i was the one that did the group buy,and also fitted some H3C to one of our old R32 's,and it made such an immense difference

They weren't blinding in any way,but the car did have the projector style headlights so that may have helped

·
Registered
161 Posts
just buy the h3 hid kits..they dont need to be h3c..thats what i bought for my car..they bulb is the same and they wire right up to the ballast pack..also the projectors in our 32 angle the hid light perfectly they are great

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
Ummmmmmmmmmmm, no because they came from the factory like that & are 'not being converted to'.
That makes no difference. The reference says that the ONLY way you can HIDs is to confirm to the regs for new cars. It's either illegal or it isn't. Hence my problem with this interpretation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey guys i had does h3c little lights too till one burned. i couldnt find anything like them then some guy told me that the h3 fits so i went and got h3 hid bulbs and it fit fine. i still have them and they work fine. i want to know how to make my full beam brighter.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,209 Posts
hey guys i had does h3c little lights too till one burned. i couldnt find anything like them then some guy told me that the h3 fits so i went and got h3 hid bulbs and it fit fine. i still have them and they work fine. i want to know how to make my full beam brighter.
I would fit brighter bulbs. You can get better 'quality' 55w items (Philips ones are good) or even 100w bulbs. I think that the 100w ones might be too bright or something as they tend to be advertised as off road only.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would fit brighter bulbs. You can get better 'quality' 55w items (Philips ones are good) or even 100w bulbs. I think that the 100w ones might be too bright or something as they tend to be advertised as off road only.
if u look at the right headlight im talking about the far right bulb i want to make that one brighter, i want to know if i can put another hid kit in for that bulb is it safe for the car to have 2 hid kits.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.