GTR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

i have had a knocking noise from the rear of my r32 for a while now.so i jacked up the car today and found that both rear hub area there is a problem.ok with my hands at 10 and 3 position on the wheels i have alot of movement side to side..

any ideas anyone?or common faults on the r32s?

many thanks

leo

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
did you delete the HICAS? either the HICAS delete bar is weak or loose, or the tie rod end bushings are shot. I was fairly stumped with this problem, and replaced the bushings.

But I didn't have a knocking noise. I'd have an expert look at your rear suspension links and subframe. Might be some more knackered bushings.

Hard to say further because you haven't specified what kind of knocking sound, what it sounds like, and when it happens. Do you have an aftermarket LSD?

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi.hicas is still there as for the diff I couldn't say.the knocking is always there when driving apart from a nnice smooth road.the knocking noise is a very fast kind of sound like a top mount.how can I check the hicas to see if that is faulty?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If, like you say, your HICAS is still present, check to see if you have worn track rod ends on the rear. IIRC, I had this on my old 32 and the wheels wobbled side to side.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
sounds like the rear steering arms are knackered. even if you have a lock out bar they still need to be in good nick, unless you have the full hicas delete kit. as is my understanding.

kev

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its loud enough to here it.if you go over a speed bump slow there is no knocking.but driving around the noise is there and its like a fast sound..i had the same sound on my 180sx and found out it was the bottom coilover bush.

how much are the rear steering arms?or is it cheaper to do a lock out bar?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
you need both, unless you get the full hicas delete set, i believe, try driftworks for these bits.:thumbsup:

kev

·
Vendor
12,722 Posts
its loud enough to here it.if you go over a speed bump slow there is no knocking.but driving around the noise is there and its like a fast sound..i had the same sound on my 180sx and found out it was the bottom coilover bush.

how much are the rear steering arms?or is it cheaper to do a lock out bar?
you got coilovers fitted or std suspension?

·
Vendor
12,722 Posts
your rear wheels will have an amount of play on them, my experience is that loud bangs tend to be suspension wear:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.