GTR Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is really starting to frustrate me. I have a 1992 R32 GTR, it has been misfiring for some time now. Some days I get no noticeable miss, other days the whole car is shaking, feels like I'm inside a washing machine.
I have replaced the coilpacks, coilpack loom and the ignitor. Each time it seemed to fix the problem but it came back within a few days.
Last week I replaced the sparkplugs, with the NKG coppers in a heatrange 7. BKR7E or whatever they are. Gapped to 0.8mm. It ran the best it ever has for a few days then misfiring again.
I thought I had it sorted yesterday so I took it out to the drags. Misfired all through the upper revs, above maybe 5000 for 3 of the runs. One of them it misfired through the entire rev range and on one run it had no misfires, I pulled a pb of 12.9.
The car is pretty much stock. I'm running the spark plug mentioned and have replaced the parts mentioned also. In addition to this, it has a 3" catback exhuast and has been de-catted. I have also removed the boost line restictor ball. The ECU us showing an error code 21 for the ignition system. Pretty much all of that has been replaced, the only thing left is the wiring between the ecu and the ignitor.
So where do I go from here? Is there any issues with running a decat? Does it mess up the ecu because of the 02 sensor? I might test the coilpacks and ignitor with a multimeter, what is the method to test them and what results should I be getting?

Cheers.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I had missfire (but only at high boost on a 530whp engine) on my R33 and replaced coil packs, (already had a new ignitor) and used same copper plugs as you and thought id fixed it. However, despite the new coils sorting out the idle issue and making the engine much smoother and responsive it still came back above 1.4bar. Turns out a set of -9 racing plugs fixed it for me but you say your car is stock.

could be that your fuelling is off, given that each time you replace the plugs its ok for a few days and then starts missing. Could be running rich and fouling the plugs??? Are you sure your coil packs are ok.. not second hand or anything.. maybe swap again with someone who you know has good coils..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts