GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm from the US and have the opportunity to trade my 350z for an R32 GTR. MY350Z.COM Forums is a link to the site. The RB is currently out of the car so if I go through with this trade I would like to make the most of the car's current state. I browsed this forum in the past due to my interest in GTRs, but have never really gone in depth with the RBs. Time is now somewhat limited/critical so I decided to ask for your opinions or recommendations to take advantage of the motor being out and what mods I should get done now. Thank you for all of your input.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Oil pump I guess would be a must, n1 atleast. But it depends on your aim. What power will you be looking for?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
How the hell are we supposed to know the answer? Firstly, we have no idea what you want to use the car for! Second, we have no idea what spec the current engine is! Third, we have no idea how much money you have to spend! Try using the search function, that's what new users are supposed to do, before asking a stupid question. Ask moleman to explain it better. Failing that, ask GTR-Glenn. :chuckle:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I apologize for writing the initial post without stating certain things such as power goals, what I want the car for and the condition of the car now(I posted a link to the car, as it currently sits, but if you're not a member you can't see the thread).

Power Goals/What I want the car to be capable of: From what I've read R32s with about 600whp are running tens in the quarter mile which would be more than sufficient for me. I am not trying to build a drag car, and honestly I focus more on the 60-130 times where something in the 6 sec time would be good for me, but also a car that has enough balance to do some time attack.

The following is from the owner of the GTR and is the current condition of the car.

I have a project car that I am never going to finish so I figured I would put it up for sale. My wife says I have too many cars,I have a Porsche, an NSX and twin turbo 350Z and some other stuff.LOL.Anways the car is a 91' R32 Skyline.It is sitting on Volk TE37s.The body is straight but it needs a paint job. The interior is in good shape.It does have some aftermarket side skirts on it but again it needs a nice paint job to be real nice.

I also have a freshly built RB26 engine with harness and ECU for it. And an AWD GTR five speed tranny or it.The engine was just rebuilt with ported and polished head and has new ACL bearings,new pistons rings,been balanced and blue printed.We just need to assemble it but that will only take a day or two or you can assemble it yourself. We also wrinkle red powdercoated the valve cover,intake manifold, timing cover and polished the TB's and some other cool stuff so it looks really nice.The turbos are in good shape with no shaft play.So anyways,I need to get rid of it.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
How the hell are we supposed to know the answer? Firstly, we have no idea what you want to use the car for! Second, we have no idea what spec the current engine is! Third, we have no idea how much money you have to spend! Try using the search function, that's what new users are supposed to do, before asking a stupid question. Ask moleman to explain it better. Failing that, ask GTR-Glenn.
Harsh But 100% SPOT ON !!

Mate , with respect please just go
Search/advanced Search/ 700hp/R32 ENTER
And read some of the thousands of threads that exist that more than cover off everything you would ever need to know about building an RB26, then come back if you need to know specifics about something you are not sure about.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I suppose my post was a tad harsh, but when new users join and ask the same questions before doing a search, I think to myself "ffs use the ****ing search function". It sounds like an RB30 with a T04Z will suit you, that will give you torque to die for and just hurl you up the road at a mental pace. :chuckle:

·
Registered
213 Posts
You should also ask yourself if you are ready to continue with his 'unfinished' project.
There was a reason it was not finished and I can guess...... MONEY.

The RB26 is nothing like anything you have experienced before. Everything (cost wise) is HUGE in comparison to other platforms, so be prepared to spend tons of cash, regardless of 'what is completed'.......

Aquiring the car is nothing. Building/Maintaining is a whole other story.

It is a HUGE commitment, as everyone here can agree to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks I'm digging through a lot of bullsh*t threads to find good info. I really wasn't looking to have anyone answer directly but give me certain options or set-ups to research. As well, where is a good place to get GTR parts? In the US there is almost no one who carries GTR/RB26 parts(fair amount of rb25 due to their popularity with the drifters) and a good majority of the websites are in Japanese which I don't read. Trust me on the 350z and motorcycle forums which is where I've spent most of my time, it gets extremely annoying to keep seeing the same questions and keep having noobs asking for tons of hp or they are going to do engine swap X, so I know where you're coming from and is why I apologized for my initial post(excuse I was in a rush to get some stuff done in the library before football practice as you all call it).

I'm waiting to hear back from the owner as to whether or not the engine was assembled with forged parts and the extent of the headwork. So far I'm looking at doing forged internals(if they're not already), finish the head(depending on what is already done), fuel system(injectors/pump), turbos(trying to figure out what size) with according exhaust system, ECU, then drivetrain mods like differential, clutch/flywheel. As I stated I would like to get the larger stuff out of the way now while I do not have to incur the labor expense of taking the engine in/out/apart that many mods require. I can do the smaller things as projects myself or take it to a shop as time/money permits. I have a lot of time as I am a student at a small school in Kentucky(if you're not familiar it's in the middle of no where/nothing to do) and my only other obligation is to the soccer team which pays for my school and leaves me with some money for the cars.

I've been reading Fourtoes' 30 TWO thread which is remarkable and inspiring, which I plan to consult once I get the car to those stages, knowing this is a project car, will be done in stages. I understand that this car is going to require a lot of work, and a lot of patience, especially living in the states where I have to wait even longer for parts to be shipped from Japan, UK, or Australia. My wheels were custom made by work and ended up taking about 5 months to get here, and between my Z and other toys I am used to projects, although I'm sure not like the GTR will be...Hope the GTR brings as big of a smile in the end as I am getting thinking about it. The GTR will not be a daily driver and not even an every weekend car so down time isn't much of an issue(may change once it gets here and starts to be completed; ie fun factor goes up), since I have a 97 Cobra convertible with some mods, and a GSXR750(well modded) to play with too. BTW here is a link to my 350z since I can't figure out how to post pictures up here.
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

- Forgot to mention that I'm not doing a straight trade My Z for the GTR. The owner of the GTR owns a shop and I'm looking to get about 15k worth of work/parts in addition.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Check out a member on here called tyndago, he will be able to help with advice and parts. He's American but I forgot where he is exactly. Try a search for RB30 T04Z threads :thumbsup:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I apologize for writing the initial post without stating certain things such as power goals, what I want the car for and the condition of the car now(I posted a link to the car, as it currently sits, but if you're not a member you can't see the thread).

Power Goals/What I want the car to be capable of: From what I've read R32s with about 600whp are running tens in the quarter mile which would be more than sufficient for me. I am not trying to build a drag car, and honestly I focus more on the 60-130 times where something in the 6 sec time would be good for me, but also a car that has enough balance to do some time attack.

The following is from the owner of the GTR and is the current condition of the car.

I have a project car that I am never going to finish so I figured I would put it up for sale. My wife says I have too many cars,I have a Porsche, an NSX and twin turbo 350Z and some other stuff.LOL.Anways the car is a 91' R32 Skyline.It is sitting on Volk TE37s.The body is straight but it needs a paint job. The interior is in good shape.It does have some aftermarket side skirts on it but again it needs a nice paint job to be real nice.

I also have a freshly built RB26 engine with harness and ECU for it. And an AWD GTR five speed tranny or it.The engine was just rebuilt with ported and polished head and has new ACL bearings,new pistons rings,been balanced and blue printed.We just need to assemble it but that will only take a day or two or you can assemble it yourself. We also wrinkle red powdercoated the valve cover,intake manifold, timing cover and polished the TB's and some other cool stuff so it looks really nice.The turbos are in good shape with no shaft play.So anyways,I need to get rid of it.

i''d say from my experience 600hp in RB26 can be EASY and can be HARD ...depends how long u want ur motor to last....10sec?...then u should be looking at drive line mods like LSD, tranny upgrades.. clutch is already done at 450hp
either way, u want 600hp, ur motor needs to be forged inorder for it to last....ditch the R32 crank, get a R33 or forged crank, rods... pistons, eagle is good for 500-600hp at most..even that i wouldn't run it in my motors...but all i am saying is that you don't have to spend alot of money on JDM piston and rods, CP pistons is cheaper and will do u 600hp.

then depend on how fast u want ur boost...the cost in HEAD may very.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts