GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking through the internet and ebay for GTR bits. Seen a 'Mines' ecu for sale and a number of stage1 chipped ecu's for the R32 GTR. What exactly does the edu do, the stock ecu over fuels a bit i've noticed, even on high octane juice. Am i going to expect more performance, ideally i'd go for a mistune but not looking to go mad on the boost, injectors or turbo....

·
Registered
678 Posts
depends per ecu there is some variation in it but most of the times just the stage 1 mods and higher boost.

ive got one for sale if Mines mail me the exact specs

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well trying to work out what's the difference between a OE and Mines ECU actually is. I understand that stage one is air filters, exhaust, perhaps a tad more boost and that's it. It's simple a generic chip which is roughly ok for the engine. But what would a Mines ECU do over a stock R32 GTR ECU

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
So I'm guessing that a Mines ecu would be remapped by Mines for 102 RON fuel making it useless for our 99 RON V-Power?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah didn't realise it was mapped on 100ron, not what I want tbh as I don't want it pinking. Can anyone recommend a good chip with works with 'stage one'?

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I had a mines ECU on my R32. I never had any issue with pinking on Sheel 97 Vpower or whatever it was called in 2004/5. It doesnt actually affect boost as this is a mechanical system, but will allow for fuelling that suits a car running greater boost and inlet and exhaust.

If you just plug it into a stock car then I would not expect much if any change. But if you put one on a stage one car, with the boost uplifted to 1 bar, then you will see a gain / improve your cars safety.

I was always interested in a PFC for more useability / tunability and had I gone the single turbo route would have done this (using the D Jetro to remove AFM's)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also ran a Mines ECU with the standard turbos (with steel internals) set on 1.3 bar. Checked it with det cans and lambda sensor and everything was fine. Never had a problem for couple of years. The Mines ECU also removes the OEM ECU speed limiter of 180KM/H.

So if you have a standard ECU with the converter fitted to the cable to make the speedo read in MPH, you are then limited to 180MPH ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I also ran a Mines ECU with the standard turbos (with steel internals) set on 1.3 bar. Checked it with det cans and lambda sensor and everything was fine. Never had a problem for couple of years. The Mines ECU also removes the OEM ECU speed limiter of 180KM/H.

So if you have a standard ECU with the converter fitted to the cable to make the speedo read in MPH, you are then limited to 180MPH ;)

Now that is interesting, I've just had two OEM turbos rebuilt with steel internals and boost at <1bar. My GTR is still limited to 180kph so I do need that sorted :flame:

Trev- Can the mines ECU be reset to handle different octane fuel?

·
Registered
68 Posts
As long as you run the highest pump octane fuel you can get, you should be fine. When upping the boost in increments, make sure to check for dettonation and that the a/f readings are good as you go along.

The same as GTR Mart, when I had it fitted, it was back in 2004-2006 on the 97ron Shell. These days it they claim it to be 99ron. As to why we do not get the 100ron V-Power shell they get in mainland Europe I do not know.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Trev- Can the mines ECU be reset to handle different octane fuel?
No. It would be mapped by Mines for the higher RON.

Personly speaking, buy a Power FC for about £500 and get the car mapped to V-Power for 100% safety and no faffing about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts