GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, i'm looking to get into skyline ownership over the winter and just wanted to pick your brains first. I have owned quite a few performance cars, the best so far being an immaculate 11 second Impreza Type R with 450bhp and build No #001 Evo VIII FQ340 MR.

I've decided on an R32 GTR, as the R33 is getting very common around my area and the R34 is a bit pricey for me.

I want it to easily run in the 10's, and i want it to be very reliable (got fed up of subaru's chocolate components!)

I found the Evo to be a very boring drive after the rawness of the Type R, and got fed up of the AYC keeping everything in check all the time and it was that comfy and soundproofed i had to keep reminding myself that i was in a performance car, and not a rep-mobile.

So what i want to know is, what sort of power am i going to need to get in the mid-low 10's, as there seems to be a massive leap in price from a 500bhp car to a 600bhp car, so can i take it that an RB26 can produce 500+bhp at the fly on standard internals?

And most importantly what are they like to drive? I realise that depends on the set up, but are they tail happy, do they understeer when pushed, are they soundproofed to excess, are they 5spd or 6spd, short or long geared, what are they like on the motorway, is there anything in particular that i need to look out for? And what are the arguements for and against a big single turbo conversion?

I apologise if all of these questions have been asked before, but i don't have the time to trawl through the site looking for the threads!

Thanks in advance

Chris

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If you want a 10 second car, it will need to be around 650-700bhp depending on how much weight have been taken out.

My GTR now produce 700bhp and I only "hope" to get into the 10 second bracket.
Previously I made a 11.61 @ 123mph on around 600bhp.

I honestly think a good well build R32 that does 10 seconds will ask for R34 GTR money.
It is because it is expensive to build, and owners will not want to sell for peanuts unless necessary.

Also, at that power range, I prefer single turbo due to more modern choice available.
You can find some Jap build car with old age turbo (T78 / T88) that may run 10 seconds, but their boost threshold is high and are generally not very nice to drive on road.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
500-ish can be done on stock internals. Depends on how good the map is.

The 500bhp R34 Z-Tune is claimed to run the quarter in 10.9 seconds. Much depends on driver skill and willingness to thrash your transmission.

2860-5 turbos should get you off to a good start - it's what I'm using and I've never done a timed quarter mile on a real dragstrip but I don't really feel the need to be much quicker, as I drive in Seoul. I hit 220kph crossing one of the river bridges tonight, while pulling away from a very aggressive Ferrari F430. 220kph was when we ran out of road. That's good enough for me!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen quite a few highly tuned good spec R32's on Pistonheads, that are around the 6-700bhp mark priced anywhere from as low as £8k right up to £13.5k, there is even a Wine Red drag spec one capable of 9 second passes with over 1000bhp (apparently) going for around £13k.
I also just missed out on a dark green one with full bride interior (rear seats recovered in bride material?), full cage, steel internals etc etc with a proven 650bhp, for sale at £8k. I clicked on the for sale ad, thought this is too good to hang about and started looking for the bank managers number, and when i clicked out of the ad it came up as sold. :bawling:

Nocturnal- what sort of rpm does ur turbo come on boost? and is it still ok for B road blasts when you're away from the strip?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Here is the Dyno Graph... as you can see... the power come in pretty hard so probably not a very good B-road car.

I have been driving it these few days and it is actually pretty good to drive, but takes alot of commitment because once the car goes... it doesn't stop for a bit.

Also, those cars you see on pistonhead... how much history does the car have?
Who build it? And what was used? How long ago was it build?

There are alot of cars that comes over from Japan with claim of 700bhp, just to blow up on its first full power run (Engine or Gearbox) and end up costing thousand to fix.

Also, don't forget the GTR use a 2.6 litre engine... about 700bhp I would say is the limit of a road car. Anything more will require massive rev and massive boost for power along with a extremely harsh clutch, which mean it will no longer be manageable for road use.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have seen quite a few highly tuned good spec R32's on Pistonheads, that are around the 6-700bhp mark priced anywhere from as low as £8k right up to £13.5k, there is even a Wine Red drag spec one capable of 9 second passes with over 1000bhp (apparently) going for around £13k.
I also just missed out on a dark green one with full bride interior (rear seats recovered in bride material?), full cage, steel internals etc etc with a proven 650bhp, for sale at £8k. I clicked on the for sale ad, thought this is too good to hang about and started looking for the bank managers number, and when i clicked out of the ad it came up as sold. :bawling:

Nocturnal- what sort of rpm does ur turbo come on boost? and is it still ok for B road blasts when you're away from the strip?
lol dat green one blew its engine 2 weeks later....

it is perfect example of gtr... u can pay 4k or 20k... even if u paid 20k, no guarantee it will not cost u more money... like dat very nice widebody r32, the guy had to swap turbos even after paying 15k or summat

if u ask me, get a cheap one will all the ansilery... then use as much as u can for a new build... u can do this with r32 cos nowadays nobody wants dem

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Bloody hell, that's some power curve! Bet u struggle for grip off the line?
I'm definitely thinking of something slightly more progressive than that.
The green car that i was looking at iirc had not long been built by Rising Sun in the uk, but don't quote me on that, and i'll add a link to the 1000+bhp one, i wouldn't buy it as it's over my budget, just thought it's a good example of cheap bang for buck!

Edit-OK the 1000bhp one has disappeared off PH, but i like the look of this one http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/789415.htm

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol dat green one blew its engine 2 weeks later....

it is perfect example of gtr... u can pay 4k or 20k... even if u paid 20k, no guarantee it will not cost u more money... like dat very nice widebody r32, the guy had to swap turbos even after paying 15k or summat

if u ask me, get a cheap one will all the ansilery... then use as much as u can for a new build... u can do this with r32 cos nowadays nobody wants dem
Gutted for him, the green one looked in top nick!

And yea, i know the guy with the wide arch grey one, at least it was only the turbos! (and it was over-priced if u ask me!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah right, didn't like the sound of that grey one tbh, don't know why.
Yep that's the green one, was a kind of metal flake british racing green, not too keen on the colour, but everything else about the car inc. the price was awesome and i would've snapped the blokes hand off in an instant!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts