GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share a technique to restore/change the colour of a rear R32 GTR emblem if you're ever stuck without options, like I was.

I bought my TH1 R32 GTR about 2 months ago without any emblems on it, which of course I had to fix. I had my eye on one on eBay but it was a red one, and after about a week of having it in my watch list, I pulled the trigger and bought it with the intention of changing the colour.

So, here it was:

Wood Font Rectangle Motor vehicle Material property

There was 5% of me that was shouting "stick it on as-is and call it a day", but the more I thought about it, the more I hated the idea. So I got to work and came up with a plan to paint the bits that are currently red around the "GT" to TH1 blue. I bought 100ml of TH1 paint and did think about masking the badge up and spraying it but I knew it was far too intricate a job to get it right, so I thought about painting it using a nail polish brush. After practicing on an old, broken NISSAN logo, I realised I couldn't go thin enough so I ended up buying syringes from Amazon to have the most control over the flow of ink.

I practiced on one of my son's toys and it actually turned out great:

Table Wood Automotive design Flooring Font

So, I went for it and painted the GTR logo:

Hand Guitar accessory Rectangle Musical instrument accessory String instrument accessory

Grille Automotive lighting Product Motor vehicle Hood

After letting it dry overnight:

Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

It's a good match!

Don't mind the clutter, I'm mid-house move and the car is sharing the garage with less important things at the moment. Also don't mind the terrible, wrinkly number plate, new one should land in a couple of days.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Hope that didn't bore anyone too much. First of many posts once I've finished moving :)

Cheers :coffee:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share a technique to restore/change the colour of a rear R32 GTR emblem if you're ever stuck without options, like I was.

I bought my TH1 R32 GTR about 2 months ago without any emblems on it, which of course I had to fix. I had my eye on one on eBay but it was a red one, and after about a week of having it in my watch list, I pulled the trigger and bought it with the intention of changing the colour.

So, here it was:

View attachment 269772

There was 5% of me that was shouting "stick it on as-is and call it a day", but the more I thought about it, the more I hated the idea. So I got to work and came up with a plan to paint the bits that are currently red around the "GT" to TH1 blue. I bought 100ml of TH1 paint and did think about masking the badge up and spraying it but I knew it was far too intricate a job to get it right, so I thought about painting it using a nail polish brush. After practicing on an old, broken NISSAN logo, I realised I couldn't go thin enough so I ended up buying syringes from Amazon to have the most control over the flow of ink.

I practiced on one of my son's toys and it actually turned out great:

View attachment 269773

So, I went for it and painted the GTR logo:

View attachment 269774

View attachment 269775

After letting it dry overnight:

View attachment 269777

It's a good match!

Don't mind the clutter, I'm mid-house move and the car is sharing the garage with less important things at the moment. Also don't mind the terrible, wrinkly number plate, new one should land in a couple of days.

View attachment 269778

Hope that didn't bore anyone too much. First of many posts once I've finished moving :)

Cheers :coffee:
You did a good job on it(y)

·
Registered
1994 R32 GTR
15 Posts
Looks great mate.

I recently picked up a KL0 badge that needs restoring, my car was resprayed before I purchased and was missing the GTR badge, the paint is bubbling a bit so definitely gonna try this technique.

Will keep you posted! Where did you get the paint?

·
Registered
26,764 Posts
you can still find new badges but obviously the price is Around 3-5 times the price ( depending on rarity)

·
Registered
1994 R32 GTR
15 Posts
you can still find new badges but obviously the price is Around 3-5 times the price ( depending on rarity)
Yeah, I've seen a few sites selling them for about 600e lol. Had a guy offer me one for 300 but I picked up a second hand badge really cheap and has some history behind it so keen to restore it as much as I can

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks great mate.

I recently picked up a KL0 badge that needs restoring, my car was resprayed before I purchased and was missing the GTR badge, the paint is bubbling a bit so definitely gonna try this technique.

Will keep you posted! Where did you get the paint?
Thanks mate. The paint was off eBay - aceparts_uk

One thing I would say is maybe get flat tipped syringes (as opposed to sharp, angular tipped ones like I did), makes it easier to move over the surface of the plastic without jumping I imagine.

·
Registered
1994 R32 GTR
15 Posts
Thanks mate. The paint was off eBay - aceparts_uk

One thing I would say is maybe get flat tipped syringes (as opposed to sharp, angular tipped ones like I did), makes it easier to move over the surface of the plastic without jumping I imagine.
Thanks man, was it the touch up kit you ordered or did he have larger volumes of the paint?

Will definitely be trying this. Thanks a mill

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
BNR32
6,660 Posts
I'm so glad someone has posted a solution to a dilemma I've had for over 14 years.

My 32 is now WV2, (an R34 colour), and at the time of getting it painted I bought a complete set of new badges but never fitted them as the GTR badge is DMG.
I've been toying with the idea of using a fine modelling brush over the years but never been confident with the idea.

I think I may give this a go. 👍🏻

·
Registered
6 Posts
The chrome and the red paint in the R is coming off on mine, anybody found a fix for this? Or is it new badge time?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts