GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new here
Now long story short, the GTR has always been my all time car since I was a kid on gran turismo 1 lol!

Now the time has come I may soon have the cash to go out and get an r32 GTR! I'm driving a 200sx at the moment with 345hp that's abit lively on the back end but now I'm wanting something different.

Now just want to clear up a couple of things, on a standard engine or stage 1 tune, are there likely to be any concerns of engine problems? Is there any compression issues? Rod knock problems? Or will it be a strong engine if looked after? Don't fancy paying for rebuild etc.

Lastly if I get a fresh import is there less likely to get a rusty one? I want a RELIABLE fast car, would performance compare anyway to my 200sx I'm used too?

In real world pricing what would I be looking to pay for a non v spec r32 GTR rust free from basic to no more than stage 1 tune.

Many thanks

·
Registered
610 Posts
I would say yea buy 1. Loved mine to bits.
But its a 20+ year old turbo car that's probably been thrashed for 99% of its life. You cant expect it to be totally reliable.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I'd say HELL YES!

Had a 500BHP R33 GTST for 10 years, really wished I'd bought the R32 GTR first!

Different class in ride, handling and quality - all compared to standard GTST's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I don't fancy a gts, would like a proper GTR :) would only aim to 400hp max to be honest, want more of a clean stock look example

·
Registered
175 Posts
I managed to pick mine up for a little over 6k in fantastic condition, rust at a minimum, low mileage and lots of receipts too with little engine mods and a light map and would certainly never look back. Such a nice car to drive and be in.

I've not had it long so know my opinion doesn't count as much as others on here but going by this and my previous vehicles, if you buy from a nice owner who has clearly cherished and maintained the car well then you should be well :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I do like the R32 shape and the fact it's the lightest and most frisky of the GT-Rs due to being quite small and having a shorter wheelbase than the others.

So I bought one.

Cost wise, I'd expect to pay £8k - £11k for a recent or fresh import with no rust in good condition.
From a dealer or someone selling as they need the cash.

I bought one that had been in the country just under a year, because like you, I wanted it to last.

The problem with the R32 is they don't like to be left at the mercy of the elements.
If they are not well protected (or garaged) you get rust in the rear arches and it's not a cheap fix.

Mine will be garaged over winter because I want it to last me a long, long time and stay in good condition.

The R32 GT-R is also Godzilla, the original version when the GT-R was re-made from the late 60's / early 70's and was the first to have four wheel drive and twin turbos.

It was built to go racing and win.
The following models never recreated it's success in my opinion. Later models just trade on the Godzilla name the R32 cemented. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks for your inputs, as above stage 1 would be the max I would go as want to keep all things safe and reliable as possible to have a car I can really enjoy

·
Registered
116 Posts
I do like the R32 shape and the fact it's the lightest and most frisky of the GT-Rs due to being quite small and having a shorter wheelbase than the others.

So I bought one.

Cost wise, I'd expect to pay £8k - £11k for a recent or fresh import with no rust in good condition.

I bought one that had been in the country just under a year, because like you, I wanted it to last.

The problem with the R32 is they don't like to be left at the mercy of the elements.
If they are not well protected (or garaged) you get rust in the rear arches and it's not a cheap fix.

Mine will be garaged over winter because I want it to last me a long, long time and stay in good condition.

The R32 GT-R is also Godzilla, the original version when the GT-R was re-made from the late 60's / early 70's and was the first to have four wheel drive and twin turbos.

The following models never recreated it's success in my opinion. Later models just trade on the Godzilla name the R32 cemented. ;)
Thats a fantastic summary.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Should you buy an R32 GTR???

In a word Yes....

TT

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts

So I bought one.

Richard, you're so hardcore you'll soon be wearing Steve's crown:bowdown1:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Buy one :) had mine almost 2 years, it's stage 1, only issue I've had was one of the maf sensors playing up but that was an easy fix, I use it alot too, it's my main car, mine has a bit of rust on the rear arches, even fresh imports do sometimes as they're old cars now, personally I'd rather one with a bit of rust and get it sorted than a 'mint' one that could potentially have something to hide

·
Registered
26,890 Posts

So I bought one.

i agree, but £8k wouldnt buy a fresh import low miles example, but lets not go there again :chuckle:

·
Registered
26,890 Posts
No, but it might get you a recently imported one if the owner has to shift it quickly.

Pipe dream?
there are always people who are desperate to get shot, esp this time of year or who have cars that are sat around for a while

i guess it depends on the situation, but there are VERY few cars on the level of condition which are coming in to the UK like yours.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Yes, I love mine.

First rule of buying one:
DONT BUY A CHEAP ONE

Second rule of buying one:
DONT BUY A CHEAP ONE

·
Registered
9,657 Posts

Nope, I have to agree with the above but for low miles and rust free you will pay more!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts