GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey there goinsleeper. Someone told me I should look you up on here seeing as we are both from Alabama. I live in the Birmingham area and would love to meet up with you sometime. I would really like to see how those -5's feel. I currently have my car down because of a blown headgasket and am trying to decide what turbos I want to put back on the thing. Anyway awesome build man keep up the awesome work. If you want to look me up on facebook my name is Brad Finley and I have a pic of me wearing a tux and my KG1 GT-R is my background photo.
Hey Brad. I'm in Huntsville, so not far away. Sorry for the late response, work has pulled me out of state for a few weeks. My car currently has quite a few mods internally. With all of that, the stock ECU likes to pull timing and keep everything pretty rich. I wouldn't suggest my car as a fitting example for what to expect with the -5's. That being said, it really comes down to what you're looking for.
If you want better response, you could go with something smaller. If you're looking for 500hp at the wheels, while maintaining response, I would go with a single turbo. I actually plan to go single turbo in the next year or so, though that timeline isn't well thought out. The wife and I are shopping for a house, but it might be 6 months before we find what we're looking for. We're not in a rush. Depending on how that goes, and how quickly I can get my shop, the timeline may get stretched.
If I upgrade my fuel pump, injectors, and switch to e85 with a proEFI, my current setup should be good for 475hp with some response or 550'ish leaning toward a heavier top end.
I'll look you up on facebook, though I don't use it very often. Until you can PM on the forum, that would likely be a better form of communication.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So, it's been a while. I feel like I owe an explanation. I haven't been lazy. Quite the opposite, actually. I had a two week honeymoon in Germany, last December. It was an epic trip. I've traveled for work five times this year already. There, now you know I'm not just a lazy arse.

Anyway, I changed my oil last weekend! Yeah, the project is really coming along after an oil change! The wife and I have started house hunting. Once I've got a garage I'll really start digging in.

The car decided it was bored of running properly and developed a stutter this week. It doesn't like to idle stably. It doesn't appear to be in any kind of limp mode, but it's annoying enough to not drive. When I have time, I'll pull the coil packs and check my plugs. It could be my fuel pump dying as well.

Anywho, just wanted to say I wasn't dead.
Cheers!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm back, baby!

Oh, boy. It has been a year. So, to preface, I did the whole 'getting married' thing. Then the wife and I spent a couple weeks in Germany. Then we started saving for a garage for the R32. Now our hopes were to find a garage that had a house attached to it as it would be beneficial to have a roof over our heads. Well, that finally happened a few months ago, and, now that the dust has settled, I can start really digging into the Skyline.

First up, the garage. It's not as big as I would have liked, but it should work just fine. Don't mind the clutter on the right side, that has been dealt with, harshly.

But, just when I thought I was the only player in the game, the wife decided she didn't want her WRX anymore. She wanted something a bit more 'special' and with the steering wheel on the 'right' (see what I did there?) side. So, we welcomed a new addition to the family:

It's a '93 EvoI RS with an EvoIII front bumper and lip, skirts and rear spats. It's also one more thing for me to work on. Luckily it's going to be her daily driver, so she won't be looking for crazy power, which means I won't have to worry about it breaking all the time.

Anyway, to prove I'm actually back in the game I went ahead and purchased some stuff:

I found a couple places stateside that are happy to carry OEM parts for the R32. That's a very good feeling. In no particular order, the pic above has front and rear windshield moulding kits, left and right exterior window moulding and left and right interior window felt moulding. These should all be going on in the next few days, housework permitting (we just got back from holiday).

If there's any interest in seeing some of the Evo work, I can slip some of it into the Skyline posts.

Feels good to be back. :squintdan

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Oh to be in America! Your garage looks awesome! Probably double or treble the size of mine? Lol Not jealous, at all. :p I'd like to see work on the Evo, always liked the early models! Looking forward to seeing more on the 32 too. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Oh to be in America! Your garage looks awesome! Probably double or treble the size of mine? Lol Not jealous, at all. :p I'd like to see work on the Evo, always liked the early models! Looking forward to seeing more on the 32 too. :)
We have larger garages, but we also have to wait 25 years to get the good cars. I'll trade you! :chuckle:

I'll start taking pictures of the efforts I put into my wife's car. The brakes seem to be in good spec, but one of her e-brake cables was stuffed. I don't know how that happened. I couldn't find a kink or anything in the line. I cut it off at the caliper and replaced it. Apart from that, I replaced plugs and fluids. Nothing all that interesting.

As for the GTR, I pulled the door card and replaced the inner and outer moulding on the driver's side. Since the door card was off, I decided to fabricate some 6.5" speaker mounts for the doors. The wife was under the weather this weekend, so that hasn't been done just yet. I've also ordered the rubber weather stripping for the doors. Taking off the door card really emphasized the rough shape they're in.

All of this is to say I'll be doing a full-up post in the near future. I didn't want to post pics of the couple of things I've done thus far.

I'm also in talks with a tuner for a Haltech unit and switching over to E85. I'll post on that when I know more.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Your garage would be a dream for a lot of Americans in the east and west coast as well...
What's even worse is that the wife and I looked at a house that had a detached, 1300 sq ft garage with an apartment/mother-in-law suite above it. Standing in that thing, I was in heaven.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So, I thought I should leave a short update. The more I worked on the car, the more stuff I bought for the car and the garage. I have new interior door handles and bezels coming. My handles almost look like someone had intentionally bleached them. I mean seriously, how do they manage to get that discolored? I'm waiting on those before I put the doors back together and post a real update.
Apart from that, I've got new speakers going into the car and a new head unit should be here Sunday (I got one for the GTR and one for the EVO). I need to stop spoiling my wife. The more I spoil her, the less I can spoil the Skyline. It's a real conundrum.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Uhh ohh or Woops?!

Okay, I've got some things to say, but I need to begin with suggesting something everyone already knows: test fit before installing!

I have some stuff coming in this week, which will lead to a full on update. I'll explain later.

So I grabbed the template from predator over at SAU and got right on creating some speaker brackets for the doors. Predator said he used 16mm MDF, which he said he would probably use 12mm if he had it all to do over again. Well 12mm is awful close to .5", and I live in America where we absolutely refuse (for some reason) to get on-board with the metric system, so I grabbed some .5" MDF. And boy was I excited. I broke out the super expensive tracing pencil and ruler. I drew lines. The wife was impressed. Anyway, I got around to cutting them out, drew circles and cutout speaker holes, cut and applied some Dynamat and BOOM!, the speakers were ready to be put in the car. Imagine my excitement when they bolted right up with minimal fuss. A job well done, right?

Then it came to putting the door cards back on. Well, this is where I realized I should have done some test fitting. I should have mounted the brackets, like a big boy, before I put the Dynamat on and installed the speakers. Because I skipped such a basic and obvious step, I found out the hard way that the door cards hit the bracket. I trimmed and trimmed until I was blue in the face, but the upper edge of the bracket was still hitting the door card. This is when I decided to read Predator's thread. In his thread he talks about the door card hitting the bracket, and that he just bent the door card over it to fit. That's not how I roll. So, I'm scrapping the brackets. I had to order some more Dynamat, because I only had enough to do one more bracket. I then decided to use some acrylic or ABS. Then I changed my mind. I landed on some HDPE. Then I changed my mind. I'm so changeable! Eventually I decided on some UHMW at 3/16" (~4.76mm). HDPE and UHMW is what they use to make plastic cutting boards, along with many marine applications. It should all be here Tuesday. Apparently it's pretty easy to work with. We shall see. I'm hoping to make this look as clean as possible.

As I continue to grow up, I hope to avoid letting you guys down in the future. I'm only human!

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Lol we've all been there! "That's a 5 minute job, how hard can it be?" :chuckle: Things like that in my experience never are as easy as they seem! :flame:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its awesome to see someone on the UK GT-R forums from my home town area. I am from Decatur Alabama. I haven't lived there for about 20 years since joining the USAF. I am looking forward to watching your build grow. I am currently in Okinawa, so if there are any parts you have trouble finding, let me know. I may be able to give you a hand. Also, one more thing...Roll Tide or War Eagle?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Its awesome to see someone on the UK GT-R forums from my home town area. I am from Decatur Alabama. I haven't lived there for about 20 years since joining the USAF. I am looking forward to watching your build grow. I am currently in Okinawa, so if there are any parts you have trouble finding, let me know. I may be able to give you a hand. Also, one more thing...Roll Tide or War Eagle?
Small world, right?! I have a buddy who competes in BBQ competitions down in Decatur. The wife and I usually assist him as best we can.

I hope I can keep you entertained, if only a little.

Roll Tide Roll!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Small world, right?! I have a buddy who competes in BBQ competitions down in Decatur. The wife and I usually assist him as best we can.

I hope I can keep you entertained, if only a little.

Roll Tide Roll!
I am guessing you and your buddy knows about Big Bob Gibsons. Best BBQ in Alabama. I have my family send their sauces to me all over the world.

Roll Tide Roll!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well okay, then. I'm back for another exciting episode of, "Oh, so you finally got something done?"! I'm going to break this into two equally exciting posts. Get read, because this is going to be more fun than watching the grass grow, even if only just barely!
We begin today with some lovely moulding refreshes. As you might already know, the R32 Skyline is more than a couple months old. In fact, it's at least 3 years old. This means the moulding, all of those kind-of-rubber kind-of-plastic pieces, needs to be refreshed. I decided to do just that. Now before I get too deep into this, I want to let you all know that moulding isn't very photogenic. If it were, this post might be too exciting for any one individual to handle. But, lucky for you, I don't have many pictures. If we're going to be honest, this is a plus because I can't think of anything more boring to post about. That being said, let's get this out of the way quickly.

First, I got cracking on the inner and outer felt mouldings near the window. This is what it looked like with the door card off and the outer moulding removed:

So I did a little cleaning.

Here's a comparison of the driver side inner and outer moulding, side by side. I don't know if you can see very much of a difference. Like I said, they don't photograph well.

For a better representation, here's the passenger side inner moulding. Note the unique, wave-like feature of the aging piece. While some people think it adds character, it also keeps it from sealing anything, everything, all the time. It 'felt' good getting rid of this 'felt' piece. I'm a word magician! Anyway, the picture:

I believe I mentioned before that I went ahead and ordered some weatherstripping for the doors, as well. This seemed rather important after removing the old weatherstripped, which was rubber at some point in its life. It was now rather brittle and crumbling.

I'm at a small loss here. So I bought moulding kits for the front and rear windscreens. As per usual, I started working on those but decided I should replace some other stuff. I'm cleaning up the area under the cowl at the front, and I've decided to order a new cowl. The rubber bit has turned to stone, just like much of the other moulding pieces around the car. It also shows some age from the sun. I figured, why not? So that's on its' way (as soon as I actually order it) along with some new mounting hardware pieces. I'm going to wait until I have the cowl to put it all back together. I'm also going to spend a little time and respray my windscreen wiper arms. They are almost entirely down to the raw, shiny metal.

The rear windscreen has just been a pill. The lower portion came off without fuss, but the sides and the top... I don't like using an ellipsis when writing. The fact that I just used one should help you to understand how frustrating these bits were. So, apparently, the inner portion of the moulding, all the way round the windscreen, was fused to the windscreen. I've gotten the bulk of it out, after scraping and prying and cursing. I even nicked the paint a little bit, which brought about more cursing. Anyway, my local Nissan dealer is going to give me a call about sending a vendor out, or for me to take the car to the stealership, to have the rear window removed, resealed and reseated. Depending on what they use to reseal it, I may not need the rear mouldings. Glad I bought them. This is a good time to give a quick shout-out, if you guys don't mind, to Z1 Motorsports in Georgia. They are a friendly lot, and when a piece of my order was damage during shipping, they promptly sent me a new one without fuss. If you're in the states, check out their website and bio.
I snapped a quick pic of the rear moulding, so you could join me in my exasperation.

Okay, I should have another post coming at you in the next few minutes/hours.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
And for the even better second part. This portion is brought to you by car audio: when you want to hear things other than your exhaust and deepest inner thoughts, put on some tunes (or a podcast) and listen to the concussion waves being made by the technology in your door!
That whole intro sounded better in my head. I haven't had much sleep lately. That could be starting to weigh on my linguistic skills.
Anyway, let's jump into things! So, last time we left off with me using MDF and not being able to get the door cards back on. Well, let me tell you, that has been rectified. I tore into those MDF brackets with extreme prejudice, then I ordered a couple sheets of UHMW polyethylene.

While I waited for the UHMW and additional dynamat to arrive, I decided to knock out the head unit side of things. Since I've owned the car, it's never had any kind of stereo. Apart from buying it and driving it some 12 hours home, I haven't needed to drive it long distances, so I haven't really been bothered by not having a stereo. It will be a requirement soon, but I'll explain why later.
First, as you would expect, I took apart the center console.

Then I removed the gauges and re-positioned the climate controller to the top slot.

I then made sure my wiring adapter harness fit as expected. After verifying that bit, I commenced to soldering the adapter harness to the new head unit's harness, like a champion I might add.

And, finally, in goes the head unit.

So you might notice it's a double-din head unit. You may also be wondering why I got rid of my OEM gauges. Well, I will tell you. The plan is to go with a Haltech unit when replacing my ECU. Well, gaugeART makes this nifty stuff that sends a CAN signal, via composite video, to a video player. Blah blah blah, lots of words just to say I'll end up with something similar to this on my head unit. This is from gaugeART's website.

I'm not a fan of gauges around the interior, and I think this offers a great way of being able to maintain knowledge of important parameters while keeping a clean look. And now you know.

Moving on, let's see about that UHMW stuff. Turns out, this stuff is really easy to work with. I used a sharpy pen to write on it. I traced out my templates on the 1'x1' sheets (3/16" thickness).

Then I broke out the trusty jigsaw and did some cutting.

This time, I remembered to do the test fitting first.

Fits like a glove, but I wanted to put my own spin on. Because this stuff is easy to work with, you can rough cut it and then trim on it with a razor blade, for the most part. Also, the original template does bump a few things.
I ended up with this.

And then the dynamat.

And then the speaker went in, and the entire assembly was fitted in the door.

I was very pleased with the fit and finish. I didn't take any pictures of the process, but I also bypassed the OEM amplifier for the rear speakers. That included more cutting, soldering and heat shrinking. After that was done, the interior was completely reassembled. The head unit works like a champ. I connected the e-brake wire to the actual e-brake switch, because I'm analretentive like that. It also has a mic for BT phone calls and junk. I have it connected but I haven't fussed about with it at all. I did the same setup in my wife's EVO.

But what you didn't know is I saved the best for last. Are you ready for this? I don't think you're ready! I don't know if I'm even ready for this! Too bad you paid for the whole seat, because you're only going to need the edge!

First, we've got new door handles! Hello Gorgeous!

I know, WOW right?!

And then, a new hood support clip! Can you even believe it? I guarantee you guys, this thing added at least 6.4353 hp.
Comparison:

Locked and loaded!

Man, it just feels good to have that. I find myself sleeping walking into the garage at night, just to stare at that clip in the pitch dark. It's that amazing!

Anyway, I suppose I have a confession to make. I know you look at this post, and the last one, and you think, "It took you this long to do some really basic refreshes?" Well, you're partially right. Part of it is just waiting on things to come in the mail. But, at least for this cycle, I had another project that took priority over the Skyline. I don't like to admit that, but it's true. Well, the wife and I have a bonus room in the house, and we finally got it ready to be the entertainment room it was born to be. So, we did some cleaning, made the floor look nicer than the garage floor, and we put a table in the middle of the room. It ended up looking a little something like this:

The wife and I play a lot of billiards. The art is still going up the walls, but I'd like to think I have a decent excuse for taking so long with my updates. Apart from having several work trips already planned over the next 3 months, I'm hoping to get things moving on the e85 and Haltech upgrades in the near future. We shall see, and I'll post updates when I have them. Cheers.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well, I think I'm one of the worst thread writers. If I'm to believe the forum, I've been away for 8 months, and that feels about right. I bet you're thinking I have a really good excuse for that, don't you? Nope. I'm just irresponsible.

Okay, so I have a pretty good excuse. I did actually continue working on the car. I put a head unit and backup camera (so clean) on the Evo. For the Skyline, a ton of seals and stuff got done. I was working on the front and rear windshield seals when I got pregnant. I mean, it wasn't exactly me that got pregnant, but the wife sure did. Upon getting that news, most of my time and effort got spent creating a nursery and taking care of things around the house that would be exponentially more difficult with a baby. Well, that's all/mostly done and the baby should be here this week.

I have plans to work on the car over the next couple weeks, but it won't be anything extraordinary. The sad thing is I just bought wheels and tires for the Evo yesterday, but that's only because I'm daily driving it while the wife is preggerz. I guess I can take pics of that when they're on that old Mitsu. Anyway, as I've posted in the past, I'm not actually dead. I'm just irresponsible when it comes to my own thread. Yeah, that rhymed; so what?

Cheers for now. Hopefully I can entertain some more in the not-so-distant future.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Okay, I have a pretty worthwhile update. First, let's take care of what happened a couple months ago. The Evo had 18x8 wheels, whereas the stock wheels were 16x6.5. Needless to say we had some rubbing issues. The tires were also quite rough, so this happened.

The butt dyno can feel the reduced unsprung weight, which was pretty nice.

Now that we have the boring Mitsu stuff out of the way, I ordered some things yesterday. Anyone who's actually read this far into the thread will probably think I'm a boring person. I say that because I keep doing boring updates to the GTR. Yes, rubber stuff goes bad and needs to be replaced. But, that stuff is boring. This brought me to what happened yesterday. There's a 3 to 4 week lead time, but I purchased a Wiring Specialties Pro Series Harness which will be connected to:
Haltech Elite 2500
Haltech IAT and 4Bar Map Sensor
Haltech WB1 CAN Wideband Kit
R35 Smartcoils (Hitachi)

At least, that's all I ordered with the harness.
In the very near future, I'll be adding ID1050x injectors, the Radium Engineering fuel rail, Tomei adj FPR, Haltech Flex Fuel sensor, Haltech fuel pressure sensor, a Walbro 450, Haltech oil pressure sensor, Haltech oil temp sensor and Haltech boost solenoid. I'm sure there's a few things I've left out.
All my rubber fuel lines will be replaced with -6 PTFE lines and fittings.

I also plan to drop the HICAS, which will free up room on the intake-side strut tower where I can mount the flex fuel sensor and MAP sensor.

I'm going to do the 140 amp Pontiac GTO alternator upgrade at the same time.

I'm hoping to have the car updated and tuned by the Fall of this year. I'll track all the work and, HOPEFULLY, post regularly. I know I'm bad at this.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts