GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done a dyno comparison with the standard r32 gtr airbox against any of the pod filters apexi etc?

i have been thinking of putting my standard airbox back in my car. just wondering if my car would lose or gain power or make no difference?. the mines r34 ran a standard airbox so it cant be that bad

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
How much power are you making?

The 33 and 34 boxes are better but I have seen 495 hp ATW through a R32 GTR box.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Pods probably breath a little better i.e cfm potential versus a completely stock 32R airbox, but often loose their advantage from breathing in hot engine air.

You can either modify the stock box for more intake and/or ram intake, or you can modify the pod surrounds to stop it 'breathing' hot air.

This is obviously mainly an issue in hotter months.

As mentioned, 33 & 34 boxes are better as they are slightly better design and have 2 additional intakes (frontal and optional side intake)

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
Has anyone ever done a dyno comparison with the standard r32 gtr airbox against any of the pod filters apexi etc?

i have been thinking of putting my standard airbox back in my car. just wondering if my car would lose or gain power or make no difference?. the mines r34 ran a standard airbox so it cant be that bad
Has been some discussion about this. If I remeber correctly the expert view was maybe 15bhp less (than the better pod filters) on a high output car.

The main attraction was that the airbox filter would be a better filter than the cotton/foam etc of the pod filters.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i am running 430hp just now but thats at less than 1 bar. i have got a boost controller problem just now. but hoping to get 450-480 at 1.3 bar once i get a new boost controller fitted

i did notice my car feeling pretty sluggish in summer i was hoping the standard airbox would help prevent this

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have the apexi filters and am running 400bhp 1 bar and have never noticed any performance loss in with temp increases. I think the apexi's are the best from what I have read failing that get the ARC filter but I know its expensive and rare, supposed to be a great filter from what I have read.

·
Vendor
12,633 Posts
i am running 430hp just now but thats at less than 1 bar. i have got a boost controller problem just now. but hoping to get 450-480 at 1.3 bar once i get a new boost controller fitted

i did notice my car feeling pretty sluggish in summer i was hoping the standard airbox would help prevent this
we have OEM boxes here if your looking for one:cool:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Can't comment on the GTR's but my 33 GTSt was converted back to a stock airbox a while back. I found 0 difference in filtration, and 0 difference in restriction IF the snorkel was removed. The snorkel on the 33 causes a huge restriction in airflow as measured with a digital manometer on the road.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Don't be fooled into the stock appearance of the Mine's airfilter box.
It has been modified so it can pick up more cool air.

They do however work with the VX Panel filter (looks alot like stock, but it isn't) and the shape is also still stock.

Like Jimbostir said, Mine's leave it up to every customer how to modify these "external" parts as their main focus is with engine tuning and response

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
If you sample air temperatures in the corner where the filters are you'll find that when you're doing over 25-30mph the hot air get washed out of that area and the temperatures are around ambient anyway. If you do a lot of sub 30mph driving then just make up a partition out of aluminium that divides that corner off from the rest of the engine bay.
Two good sized 'pod' filters have more surface area than the standard R32 filter element and are less restrictive. The pair of K&N filters used in the common M's kit are fine up to 700bhp according to K&N.

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi I have now done a dyno run with the standard airbox back in the car. I had apexi filters on the last dyno run

My car made 10 less hp with the standard airbox back in but made just over 20lbs more torque and at lower revs.

It was hotter day than the dyno run done with the apexi filters

So the pod filters do seem to give more peak power. But a slight loss of midrange power

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hi I have now done a dyno run with the standard airbox back in the car. I had apexi filters on the last dyno run

My car made 10 less hp with the standard airbox back in but made just over 20lbs more torque and at lower revs.

It was hotter day than the dyno run done with the apexi filters

So the pod filters do seem to give more peak power. But a slight loss of midrange power
A good result then! I went back to putting the standard air box back in my R34 (mainly because I like that stock look) and love it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would be curious to see the dyno results with the ARC box in there. Now that they're back in production here in Japan, I think I'm gonna scoop one up as they are only 56,000Yen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts