GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So going over the car checking what needs doing etc i found the coil pack amp (igniter) to be faulty when testing the resistance.
I have seen you can get an R35 kit which deleted the need for an amp from JDMGarage, with the harness, adapter, bracket and either OE or genuine Nissan coils think they use Superforma.
on the JDMGarage website it says plug and play but looking on the Superforma its saying for dwell times to be adjusted..

anyone able to advise if I will be okay with just plugging and play.

On another note occasionally when boosting it stutters / sort of sounds like its blowing raspberries. I thought maybe a boost leak but could this be from a faulty amp / ignitor ??

1989 R32 GTR all stock apart from downpipe back, also just bought some new NGK R PFR6A-11 plugs

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's a question I've been meaning to look into, as my coils have seen better days. I'd like to replace them sooner rather than later. My long term plan is a link ecu, after I have carried out a few other jobs first.
So can the R35 coils be plug and play, then optimised with a new ecu in the future, or do the coils have to wait and be fitted at the same time as a new ECU.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Josh.

·
Premium Member
3,893 Posts
R35 coils are fine on a stock ecu but the dwell time is around half the optimum. 2ms vs 4ms so only half the available spark energy. Aftermarket ecu required if you want more power and a strong spark for more boost.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
R35 coils are fine on a stock ecu but the dwell time is around half the optimum. 2ms vs 4ms so only half the available spark energy. Aftermarket ecu required if you want more power and a strong spark for more boost.
I'm not looking for big power tbh my cars pretty much all stock with the short nose :( so trying to prolong its life.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so after speaking to JDM Garage and HP worx they dont recommend using the conversion kit on the stock ECU. so looks like I have gone with a Link ECU and the coil pack conversion kit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
so after speaking to JDM Garage and HP worx they dont recommend using the conversion kit on the stock ECU. so looks like I have gone with a Link ECU and the coil pack conversion kit.
Would you mind keeping this updated with how you get on.

Did they give a reason for not recommending with the stock ecu?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would you mind keeping this updated with how you get on.

Did they give a reason for not recommending with the stock ecu?
Will do, i think its cause the stock ECU is configured to the stock coil packs and amp where the R35 conversion has the amp/igniter in each of the coil packs. the dwell times are different and possibly other things?!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Will do, i think its cause the stock ECU is configured to the stock coil packs and amp where the R35 conversion has the amp/igniter in each of the coil packs. the dwell times are different and possibly other things?!
While it is true that the stock ECU is designed for a separate power transistor unit/PTU and a different coilpack, if you use the smart coil conversion harness the ECU functionally cannot tell the difference either way. The stock dwell time is also fine as long as you stay around stock boost on R35 coils. The R35 itself doesn't even run the coilpacks to max dwell time on the stock VR38.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While it is true that the stock ECU is designed for a separate power transistor unit/PTU and a different coilpack, if you use the smart coil conversion harness the ECU functionally cannot tell the difference either way. The stock dwell time is also fine as long as you stay around stock boost on R35 coils. The R35 itself doesn't even run the coilpacks to max dwell time on the stock VR38.

Thanks Josh; been having conflicting arguments some people saying yes others no. I've gone for a link ECU along with the coil pack upgrade. As I was recommended to change my stock ECU (although remapped by Veilside) as that map is mapped to Japanese fuel not UK. Anyways it'll be a good change and allow the car to run better and be easily tweaked if needs be

1 - 9 of 9 Posts