GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all have been looking for some suspension for my r32 gtr build which will be street driven and want to do some track days say 4 or 5 a year max just for fun.Now ive searched the net and found that 6kg fronts and 4kg rears would be good spring rates for me ???Can anyone confirm or suggest anything else? I was going to buy cusco coilovers from rhd japan but they dont have these spring rates available that i can see anyway in fact cant even find teins with those rates either??? Or am i missing something???

thanks for any help!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i know maybe ill just go 8kg fronts 6kg rears i am going to buy the nismo link arm set and top camber arms too are they any good? Not really into all the adjustable stuff as i wouldnt have a clue what im doing ???

thanks for reply

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Nismo link set is good (and expensive), but ideally you do want some caster and camber adjustment (basically as much as the adjusters will allow of both - with is normally 4-5deg caster and 1-2deg camber). The standard road geo settings are not much fun on the track and the track settings are fine on the road, so go with track settings :)

I have 8/6 springs on mine and its a reasonable balance with the shocks set on full soft they are ok on the road and on full hard they are decent on the track - I may try a little stiffer springs but my car is mainly track.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Nismo link set is good (and expensive), but ideally you do want some caster and camber adjustment (basically as much as the adjusters will allow of both - with is normally 4-5deg caster and 1-2deg camber). The standard road geo settings are not much fun on the track and the track settings are fine on the road, so go with track settings :)

I have 8/6 springs on mine and its a reasonable balance with the shocks set on full soft they are ok on the road and on full hard they are decent on the track - I may try a little stiffer springs but my car is mainly track.
I'd agree with the above.

If you are buying top links I would avoid those with worm screws - they don't seem to last very well.

I think that Whiteline do a bush kit which sits in the OEM toplinks and allows for some camber. Not used them but whiteline is well regarded and (I assume) less likely to fail than the (worm screw) toplinks.

A well set-up car feels so much better than one with stock settings.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I'd agree with the above.

If you are buying top links I would avoid those with worm screws - they don't seem to last very well.

I think that Whiteline do a bush kit which sits in the OEM toplinks and allows for some camber. Not used them but whiteline is well regarded and (I assume) less likely to fail than the (worm screw) toplinks.

A well set-up car feels so much better than one with stock settings.
Yup, superpro do them too. I have the superpro ones, they look the same design. I have adjustable caster rod poly bushes too. The poly bush approach I think is slightly longer lasting than rose joints and bearings but it gives slightly less adjustment range (I would like a little more camber but I think 1.5 is the most the superpro top arm bushes will do on my car).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea thanks guys also rang some suspension shops locally and all said the BR BC Golds are the best bang for buck on the market,i asked about tiens and they also said that the BCs are right up there with them only difference is with the tiens you pay way more and just for the name.So ill buy BCs next week!!!.In regard to putting in coilovers both people said id need camber adjustment and castor so that i could get the wheel alignment bang on,so im not going with the nismo link arm set etc going to buy all adjustable stuff. Hope all this sounds right to yous too??

thanks heaps will post up what i end up buying soon AS!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok ive ordered the bc golds and some hard race camber arms and castor arms has anybody used the hard race stuff is it good quality???

thanks again

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
ok ive ordered the bc golds and some hard race camber arms and castor arms has anybody used the hard race stuff is it good quality???

thanks again
Looks like the normal 'Chinese' stuff. That blue colour is used by a number of different brands. Most likely the barings will need replacing but that's hardly a difficult task.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey thanks yea sort of thinking that what other front camber arms can you get that are adjustable that are of good quality??

thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
I wouldn't use any of the adjustable top camber arms. The stock arm was a bad idea from the factory. Too much load in too narrow a link. They fixed it for the 33 and 34.

Stick to Cusco shorter length or similar.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Midori and KTS also do top camber arms and suppose to be better than the Chinese ones.
The only ones which I have seen which are a better design are either the Cusco, an Aussie company I cannot remember the name of (UAS???) and these:

All the worm screw items are pretty much identical. I have a feeling that they are almost all ade in China (or where ever) anyway.

I have the above pictured items. Time will tell if they are worthwhile.

As a side point I think that Whiteline do bushes with some camber offset for the OEM links. Might be the safest option for longevity.

PS just googled the Midori and they appear to be the same as the above pictured items.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Pics of above

Sunline

Nagasi

UAS pivot type

Megan (similar to midori i think)

Japspeed (old style) / Ebay

New style Japspeed / Ebay

New style Driftworks (similar design available elsewhere)

And Grp A top arms for reference, you can see they are actually two separate pieces to allow twist, the UAS pivots arms also allow this twist, all the others (apart from the nagasi possibly) don't and loosen, break, or wear bearings eventually because of this apparently.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the info guys really good help !!!!! im sort of at a loose end because everyone has a different opinions on which is better like theres no one thats better than the rest really is there? well ive got the hard race ones so will have to see how they go i suppose.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Solid castor rods may help reduce some of the stress on the linkage, although increasing castor probably increases stress too....as Lightspeed says, not a good design by Nissan.

If/when my driftworks arms fail, will go for the pivoting UAS ones.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Solid castor rods may help reduce some of the stress on the linkage, although increasing castor probably increases stress too....as Lightspeed says, not a good design by Nissan.

If/when my driftworks arms fail, will go for the pivoting UAS ones.
You can extend their life by servicing them. I have my knackered ones if you want them for parts. One has been cut to remove it but there might be some salvageable parts.

If I had had the time I'd have gone with the Aussie ones. I'll see how my units do. They certainly appear more rigid than the worm screw design.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm going to be fitting the Japspeed front camber arms. Does anyone know if the bolts I have circled in blue come with the Japspeed (new) kit? and I also need the bearing (or complete assembly) I have circled blue in the following pic.

Cheers, Charlie

·
Registered
554 Posts
No bolts come with them you use originals,word of advice fitting these make sure worm drives are on the side towards the rear of car as there a nightmare to get to in situ when adjusting

1 - 20 of 27 Posts