Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed a head gasket job and the car wont start :(

Its getting lots of fuel
It has a strong spark
All connectors and pipes are back on correctly
the car is timed right

Only thing i can see is that one of the AFM's is damaged. They also dont seem to be stock AFM's as the stock ones seem to be a little smaller in size. The wire mesh is damaged..... Have a look at these photos...

Is this AFM doomed ?

Can anyone think of another reason why the car wont start that i have missed ?

I have checked and double checked everything.....

Does anyone know if the R-32 V-spec 2 came with different sized AFM's to normal ? Or alternatively, does anyone recognise the type of AFM from the photos ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it helps........ the AFM has 5 pin connection rather than the usual 4
Although, there are still only 4 pins being used by the loom coming from the AFM.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
although you didn't show it, the element inside is what really matters, not that mesh protective stuff.

Did you check the ignitor, it may not be connected properly and there's that little ground wire that has to be connected. The only time I've experienced what you are is when I forgot to plug the ignitor back in properly :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep the ignitor is all connected and the little earth from the rear ignitor loom is earthed. The plugs are showing a strong spark when checked
:bawling:
There is something not right here, everything seems ok and there are no fault codes showing on the ECU.

I didnt know if the mesh was linked to the AFM as with some vortex mesh systems. If its just a protective mesh then i can rule out the AFM as the AFM element in itself is spotlessly clean and has no damage..... Just that mesh on the outside of the unit.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Take the plugs out, disconnect the CAS and crank it over to dry the cylinders out. Pour a little oil in each bore to help seal the piston rings. (about 5ml)

Try again.

The car will start and run without the AFM's connected, it just wont rev over 2500rpm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the car running, it was none of the above :(

The injector cycle was out of line with the fire order of the plugs, the guide on the cam position sensor was damaged and the sensor went back on 2 teeth out of line. once i turned the sensor round with the car in TDC and a meter on the No1 TDC injector, got them to sync up and the car fired firs turn :) Interestingly simple answer to a dead engine.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
well, in any event, good news that you got your car sorted out :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts