GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1991 R32 GTR that is leaking water from the back of the engine. Is there a water hose that runs to the turbos back there? If there is a hose back there, can it be replaced without taking the engine out? The water is leaking onto the starter (if that helps with the location of the leak).

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
2 black heater hoses run past there but dont remember seeing ones for turbos.
quite chunky hoses and there is a join half way down one which may be culprit, just to right and down a bit from the chassis number.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found that after driving for ~ 10 minutes and then shutting it down causes the water to quickly drain from behind the engine. This way seems to cause the water to drain faster than when it slowly leaks after letting the car idle for 10 or so minutes. Unfortunatly, I cannot see around the starter to find the leak. Any ideas?

·
Registered
246 Posts
best thing is to fit a pressure tester to the system which will simulate pressure in the system to create the leak with out the heat!

as for what can leak...

starter/inlet side you have two main heater hoses coming out directly above the starter motor. one of these also has a joint directly above the starter motor as the heater control valve sits in it, these then go along behind the rocker covers and go into the heater matrix near the abs pump on the passenger side, above the exhaust down pipe area (easily visible from above)

you also have a metal tube which runs around the back of the engine connected with two smaller coolant hoses to another metal tube which runs under the plenum and to the inlet manifold.

turbo side you have a banjo which bolts directly into the block half way up which then tee's off into each turbo supplying turbo's with coolant (there is also one of these for the oil supply). then coolant then exits the turbo's and heads upwards to join the water channel which runs along the passenger side rocker cover going forward around front of the timing cover, and rearwards to the bulkhead (where you see two pipes which bolt together)

hopefully some help if u can read my sunday morning logic :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thankyou for the in depth reply!! If the heater is working well, does that mean that the leak is probably not in the heater lines? Are the turbo lines the ones that stick up a ove the engine tword the back?

·
Vendor
12,681 Posts
its the heater hose that connects to your matrix, i have these if you need one:thumbsup:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a mechanic look at the leak today and found out that you guys were dead on. One of the heater hoses behind the block is leaking. Looks like it will be ~ $200 after parts and labor to have it put in. My friend told me that special tools are needed to get the bottom bolts off, so I figure I'll let the real mechanic do this one! Thanks for all the input everyone!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts