GTR Forum banner

201 - 220 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
up to the top for some fresh ideas..

Update: Not sure on the current weight but we've changed a few bits and bobs (added and lost)

New Custom Cages T45 Multipoint rollcage - replaces Cusco ChroMo dash dodger - GAIN
4l plumbed in fire extinguisher - replaced 1.75lt - GAIN
Revised rear spoiler - less supports - LOST
Removed front and rear crash bars, fitted quick release atachments etc - LOST
Lighter rear brakes - LOST

To re-cap

The car is running GRP Doors, Rear 1/4s, boot skin. Lexan side, rear 1/4 and rear screen. No sound-deadning, no HICAS, no AC, No blowers

Its still running OE bonnet and front wings, viscous fan, OE fuel tank.

The car still doesnt have much in the way of its chassis or metal work chopped - any suggestions where to start here ...... safely??

If i was to do the rear 1/4's again i'd remove more metal and box the rear sections higher than I did. Lost only around 5-6" of arch (in and arc) and the lower rear arch bits (that rust like hell anyway).

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Adam, you mention front wings...
Having toyed with the idea of replacing mine I removed them with the intention of making carbon copies....I can assure you that there is very little (if anything) to be gained here as the STD wings are VERY light. I reckon only professionally made single layer dry carbon would be any lighter. The cost/gain ratio in this case is just not worth it IMHO.

TT

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Adam,

Got to get rid of the standard fuel tank, it needs loads of fuel (weight) to stop fuel surge.

I bought my fuel my fuel cell from Summit racing, really not an expensive mod, although you then need to re-plumb the fuel system, you may then also be able to do away with the swirlpot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hmm light weight custom wirering loom with micro relays and thinner wires. that would help alot. and since you already have lots of extra wires and relays im guessing (a/c modules, relays, rear wipers harness relay, fuses etc.

cobber is heavy

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Adam,

Got to get rid of the standard fuel tank, it needs loads of fuel (weight) to stop fuel surge.

I bought my fuel my fuel cell from Summit racing, really not an expensive mod, although you then need to re-plumb the fuel system, you may then also be able to do away with the swirlpot.
I'm getting all the bits together to do exactly that!! Should save a good few KG's, make things far simpler and be able to easily cope with future power upgrades.

I think wiring has a lot to answer for weight-wise. At some point I think I will get a bespoke lightweight loom made up but at the moment the costs are prohibitive, especially as I have more important things to spend the money on.

TT

·
Registered
961 Posts
Hi Adam, Russ has had your old cage re powdercoated and the Cro-mo bars polished, should look smart when it's in:) What is the weight of your car as it stands? If you know what fluids were in it at the time of weighing let us all know, as this is something most people don't make clear when quoting overall weights?

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
the 1350kg early on in the thread (metal doors, glass windows etc) had about 15l of fuel
the 1360kg at Snetterton had about 15l fuel, GRP doors etc

Something doesnt ring true with those weights. Really need to get it weighed again... somewhere thats calibrated!!!

I think the car is most likely about 1320kg with min fuel.

We have a big sump now - so some extra weight there ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Adam from memory the std wing is ~6kg and paws thinish fiberglass ones weighed 4kg.

The only place where -R33 remember- theres excess is in inner wing return (flat bit behind head light), uprights to rear cross beam, boot floor - 8kg out and 6.5 in is :chairshot, inner part of rear wheel arch going forward and up part of sill at front (where ecu is).

For us most weight was lost in cutting and welding arches at rear, to clear tyres, after the wing mirrors....23kg!!

and btw weigh a tank before you spend the money - a std tank is quite light.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
+1
The standard petrol tank is very light - it weighed the same as an ally one I nearly bought... not sure on CF tho... but they'll be MUCHO DENERO!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
You think it would be lighter then that Adam ? Are you using h same weighing bridge as normal ?

Mine weighed 1430 full interior and 3/4 tank of fuel. Only thing missing was the boot trims , spare wheel and a/c pump and rad

What year is your car as mine is a 1990 ?

I will weigh mine when I set the suspension up. ;) I have stripped a fair bit out of it now so it will be interesting to see what it comes up with.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
What does the cage weigh mate? Did you ever weigh the car with out a cage?

Mine was also done on mlr's corner scales at 30-130.

I hope mine to be about the 1330 mark without driver with 1/4 tank of gas. Soon find out :). In myself I have lost 25kg so my car should be absolutely flying now lol.

Did it come out nice and equal comer to corner ?

201 - 220 of 331 Posts