GTR Forum banner

281 - 300 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
LOL...1000kg...:chuckle:

Jeez Jas..a bare shell, engine and tranny aint far away from that. You are going to have to be VERY creative to get anywhere NEAR that!! My R32 is about as pared back as it can get and if its under 1275kg I will eat my left arm.
I think you may have to be a bit more realistic with the weight goal unless you are going to be using LOTS of very expensive exotic materials and spaceframing etc.

TT

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I had looked at fitting GRP wings too Adam but when i took one off, i reckoned they were so light as std that GRP would have probably ADDED weight than removed it...

TT

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
It's Hyper Rev. I stole it from Bob when I was at Zealou5. Don't tell him! I have been looking for some more pictures and info on that car as it is purely a track weapon. 1190 is pretty light though! I will update if my search comes to fruition. Was hoping some of the more enlightened forum users may know where to look!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Interesting read. We were chatting about doors the other day and I didn't realise there was a difference between early and late model doors. Mine are the later style and weigh loads! I would be interested In an early set or carbon!

A CF or lighter prop surely has to be a good thing? The oem prop is ridiculously heavy.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Hi Will,

Do you have a cage fitted, as the early doors had no side protection installed, whilst the later models had a 25kg steel plates in them.

I would rather have the extra protection, as 32s are rubbish in a side impact (mine hasn't got the protection, as a 1990 model).

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Mine has a cage and the heavy doors. I'm not bothered about a crash. Well I am bothered about a crash but I think if my head knocks the cage i'll be out anyway! I could look at getting some low mount bars but I don't want getting in and out a pain.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I would rather have the extra protection, as 32s are rubbish in a side impact (mine hasn't got the protection, as a 1990 model).
Having seen pics of crashed 1990+ R32's I think our respective ideas of 'protection' may be different!!! One in particular I remember was a side-on into a tree/lampost. The pax sill was resting up against the transmission tunnel and Im 99.9% sure that has side impact bars. Was a slow speed impact and god only knows how the guy's missus survived.

When the rest of the car is built from, effectively, crepe paper...side impact bars aint gonna do you ANY good.

edit: I found the links. I suggest you take a good look at the pics. You'll find they are all '90+ models of R32.
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/91735-r32s-side-impacts-2.html

TT

·
Registered
752 Posts
Mine is a 89 model.32 and it has the plate and bars inside the door, I have made one fiberglass door already, lost like 20k to the stock one, I havent had time to do the other one and the lexan windows

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I know of some lex an windows for sale if anyone needs some? Sooo light.
;)
Bob

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Having seen pics of crashed 1990+ R32's I think our respective ideas of 'protection' may be different!!! One in particular I remember was a side-on into a tree/lampost. The pax sill was resting up against the transmission tunnel and Im 99.9% sure that has side impact bars. Was a slow speed impact and god only knows how the guy's missus survived.

When the rest of the car is built from, effectively, crepe paper...side impact bars aint gonna do you ANY good.

edit: I found the links. I suggest you take a good look at the pics. You'll find they are all '90+ models of R32.
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/91735-r32s-side-impacts-2.html

TT
Yep TT, seen all this hence said extra protection.

They are indeed pathetically weak iro passenger protection, but aside from a full cage, is there anything that can be done to improve this?

Cheers,

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yep TT, seen all this hence said extra protection.

They are indeed pathetically weak iro passenger protection, but aside from a full cage, is there anything that can be done to improve this?

Cheers,
As I said earlier, much much stronger composite doors as opposed to skins :)

281 - 300 of 331 Posts