GTR Forum banner

301 - 320 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
As I said earlier, much much stronger composite doors as opposed to skins :)
Sorry, I really cant see how doors made from carbon/kevlar/glassfibre or any of the more exotic composites can make up for the R32's inherent lack of integrity in a side impact. You can strengthen doors until you're blue in the face, but that wont make up for the gossamer-like sills or B-pillar area.

TT

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Sorry, I really cant see how doors made from carbon/kevlar/glassfibre or any of the more exotic composites can make up for the R32's inherent lack of integrity in a side impact. You can strengthen doors until you're blue in the face, but that wont make up for the gossamer-like sills or B-pillar area.

TT
^^ What he said, Better off putting in a nice Cromo-Steel Cage and running super light doors, Improve the handling of the car, and give you crash protection.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yep, save money on buying carbon doors, just gut the hell out of them (for weight savings) and run a decent cage for protection

·
Registered
163 Posts
Couldn't agree more. I guess what I was saying is you can make a composite door significantly stronger than stock with a steel bar in it but ultimately it needs a cage to stop intrusion. It still comes down to the chassis/pillars without it.

However if you don't want a cage but want stronger lighter doors it can be done.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ive just removed my power steering rack today and I'm going to convert it to a manual rack. Will get a larger diameter steering wheel to help turn it. I'm going to remove the internal seals and replace the fluid with grease. This is the correct way to do it.
Will save alot of weight as no pump, reservoir or lines etc plus extra power not having to drive the pump.

If its too heavy I will install and electric steering column. At least I would have moved alot of weight rearwards if nothing else.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ive done a few on VW campers but not looked into the Skyline yet. will do if I need to if the manual steering is too heavy.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
i went down the electric road... weighed the electric set up against the stock.. and the electric set up, complete, was heavier and more complicated than the hydraulic set up.

additionally, the electric pump suffered from overheating and sluggishness. so i have stuck with standard system and just installed a cooler. WAY better....

saying that,, porsche have gone all electric, but it is complicated and a very very expensive conversion - so personally, i dont get it...???

what is the benefit? other a slight reduction on power drain for the engine. almost negligable on a car producing over 600hp.

adding to that, lack of "feel"...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Is.the actual rack moved with hydraulic pressure from an electric pump or directly with an electric motor?
Maybe the mechanical one.is.better? Ligjter?

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
just to remind all the whole hicas system (including brackets an bolts) on the 32 gtr is 18 kilos, this is without cutting the rear chamber of the pump, just removing its guts.

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
"saying that,, porsche have gone all electric, but it is complicated and a very very expensive conversion - so personally, i dont get it...???

what is the benefit? other a slight reduction on power drain for the engine"
CO emissions - no engine losses from PAS in a straight line.
Got to beat the Brussels eurocrats, 0.1hp at a time !!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
For the record, I just removed one of the small 1/4 windows of my 32gtr and it only weighs 1.5kilos, so not sure its worth making them out of polycarb...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I cut the rear wall behind the rear seat out off my track 32, saved me a fair bit aswell, and I removed all unnecessary wires from the main loom and ran it down the middle off the car, could've made a fair bit off cash if I brought all the copper to a dismantler :D

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
For the record, I just removed one of the small 1/4 windows of my 32gtr and it only weighs 1.5kilos, so not sure its worth making them out of polycarb...
You clearly haven't felt the weight of a polycarb rear 1/4!!! They effectively weigh bugger all so an easy 3kgs saved :clap: by the time you also take into account the standard trim and all the evil rubber/mastic sealant you MUST be over 5kgs!!.

Biggest shock for me so far has been replacing the std doors with composite and polycarb windows. I still cannot believe just HOW heavy the std doors are.....composite doors must save a monumental amount of weight!!

TT

·
Registered
752 Posts
I will cut the polycarb 4mm sheet i have to the 1/4 size... I think it will save just a kilo ...not sure if its worth
Agree on the doors I have made one only yet 20+ kilos taken away. I made one of the side windows 1k vs 5k stock glass.

301 - 320 of 331 Posts