GTR Forum banner

R32 GTR Weight Loss Program

152K views 330 replies 62 participants last post by  jasaircraft 
#1 ·
trackscotland.co.uk :: View topic - Track R32 GTR - On Going Project

right... weight saving.

The car has already lost a fair bit of weight in the 1st year its been around. Air-con, interior etc.

There is still following to come out

rear steering rack, maybe 10kg
Some more sound deadening in the boot/rear - 5kg
Heaters - maybe 3-5kg (unsure of doing it though... its chilly in winter and hot in summer, some form of air and demisting is good)
windows - 10-16kg
GRP doors, or 'edited' standard doors, with electric windows and mirrors ditched (and cage door bars) - unsure of kg gain

anything else easy you can think of? The bonnet is already really light so not much to be gained if at all from a GRP/CF bonnet once you take its skeleton into account.

Speed holes will be planned, but later down the line once the balance of the car has been established etc

maybe i need to go on a diet too LOL Fee is about 6 stone lighter than me... 30kg or so... she should make that car shift

See less See more
#112 ·
Just weighed my bootlid, its 10kg's with the lock and badge.
The original spoiler weighs 6.5kg's ao almost as heavy as the whole boot itself! :nervous: (gonna get me one of them Newera CF ones me thinks!)
:clap:
Bob

#8 ·
oh right, i just thought it was bonnet and wings.

The biggest saving will be doors and windows i reckon.

Any ideas as to what i weighs now?

i've recently done pretty much the same on my 205 GTi, makes a bl00dy mahoosive difference, it must be around 850kg now. :)

#12 ·
i've just pulled front speakers, rear wiper and wing mirrors

craft square mirrors weigh 500 grams each, i think the standards are closer to 5 kgs, hoping that lot took me 15kgs or so in the right direction

doors are the next big step, i'm just sussing which way to go. seems a bit pointless putting all the junk back into grp doors, so i'd like to get them with perspex windows on a winder, if poss

can anyone supply the complete package?

gav

#19 ·
R33 GTR power steering pump is half the size of a 32 one (no rear bit like a 32) and if your gonna ditch the hicas you can make the swap, im doing just that as we speek! (well this weekend)
;)
bob

#20 ·
N1 lights are a wee bit lighter too.
:D

#21 ·
And dont forget all the hicas hydrolics in the engine bay under the plenum on the chassis rail and the line that goes from front to rear for the hicas, it all adds up!
:D

#24 ·
yup, i've left mine in for future upgrades

Adam, i'll post pics of the mirrors as soon as i have them (i hven't seen them on yet myself)
the oe weight was a guess, but they have electric motors in, don't they?
the craft square (stoopid bloody name) ones are manual adjust, so a bit lighter

agree with will about the oe steering wheel, i couldn't believe how heavy it is

#23 ·
This should be interesting Adam. I'm currently preparing mine for next year with minimum weight a real priority. It won't get any lighter than it is at the moment :D

I'm going for a custom loom, stack dash and custom surround, may go for poly windows from Ron once I've had a look at them, GRP doors, holes everywhere if Bladey oulls his finger out of his generously proportioned butt and dumping as much toot out of the engine bay as possible.

Sorely tempted to go for the RB25 gearbox and rear wheel drive......the weight would plummet! I'm aiming for 1250kgs with a cage if it stays four wheel drive. I'll keep you posted.

#28 ·
If you guys are wanting fibreglass doors then try Andy at Immortal Performance near Wetherby, North Yorkshire. I dropped off my R32 GTR doors last year for him to make the moulds. You can have standard type ones which will take windows or race type ones that have the lip to bolt the perspex windows into. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.