GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a stock R32 GTR, so far i've had it for about a month and a half and now i'm going to try and upgrade a bit. However, due to be very new to skylines im not quite sure where to start or what to get, my end goal is to hit 700BHP. So far all i've picked out is 2 Garrett GT2860R T25/T28 Turbocharger 400hp, Dual Ball Bearing. After getting these i have no clue what else i would need to achieve my end goal, my pockets arent deep and i have a budget of about 5,000$, so far these 2 turbos have cost me 3600$.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, the first problem is having shallow pockets, i myself have shallow pockets and is the reason i don't own a GTR yet.

Most performance parts are going to be up there in the price range. I would do this. Try to get the money out of the turbo's you got and try to get a hold of a single turbo off a Bus or a semi Truck. this will save you money and give you the same horsepower. or you could use two smaller sized turbo's from diesel trucks. Now that you have some extra money look into a decent muffler set up and have some one in a exhaust shop who is good at what they do hook you up with a custom exhaust. once again this will save you money for what you will have to spend on internal parts. you can only get so much HP out of bolt on parts. the exhaust header can be also custom built by the right person for a decent price without paying a ton of money. same goes with the intake mani, although it might be a good idea to pay for a good intake mani. The part you should think about putting the most money into is the tuning, if you can have it tuned just right you can pull off 700HP but even 500HP would make an BNR32 Move.

These are just some old school ways of price cutting and getting around the name brand stuff. it helps having alot of friends with fabrication skills. :)

Don't know if this helps. it has worked for my Conquest and CRX. so why not on the legendary GTR.

·
Registered
85 Posts
M8 700bhp is a lot of power, you just don´t put turbos and that´s all, you need to prepare first the engine to suport all that power, and I mean forged pieces need to go inside of that engine, oil lubricant system needs update too, fuel delivery system, engine control unit, a good clutch to bring the power to the wheels, and you have spent a litle fortune on that car :( .

My advice, go easy, one step each time, you will see that you don´t need 700bhp, there is no point in having only power, when I buyed my BNR32 I was disapointed with it cuz I didin´t feel the car, but after I install a TEIN suspension and some tension rods and bar, i was very happy cuz I started to feel the power of the machine atacking the curves better and faster, and after a IMPUL ECU inside and a Apex´i exaust I´m really happy with it, so happy that I have a greedy boost controller here and a rare Kaa-Z fuel injector control unit from japan to install and I didn´t install it, cuz I see no point in doing it, unless you are going for track day´s, or illegal street racings.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Knowing your budget is good .
You can do a lot with £5K (or euros) and its perfectly fine to have that 700 bhp as an end goal as long as it is an end goal and not an immeadiate one because you wont get anywhere near it with that budget ..............well not for very long anyway.
I am afraid you may need to revise your goal or your budget.

Big turbos are not the answer for a stock motor. Stock engine + big turbos giving 700bhp = ends in tears very quickly .

·
Registered
5 Posts
"Big turbos are not the answer for a stock motor. Stock engine + big turbos giving 700bhp = ends in tears very quickly"

i didn't say to bolt it to a stock motor, that would be very bad. my point was to forget about the name brand expensive twin turbo set up and find a big bus turbo that is a whole bunch Cheaper to save him some money to build the engine/trans for high boost and high HP.

·
Registered
321 Posts
i didn't say to bolt it to a stock motor, that would be very bad. my point was to forget about the name brand expensive twin turbo set up and find a big bus turbo that is a whole bunch Cheaper to save him some money to build the engine/trans for high boost and high HP.
A big bus turbo is not designed to run on petrol car. This due to the higher exhaust temp that petrol cars produce!!!
There many differing ideas on how much a stock engine can take. I believe RIPS have had 700bhp with standard internals. One thing that is common, and that good mapping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A big bus turbo is not designed to run on petrol car. This due to the higher exhaust temp that petrol cars produce!!!
There many differing ideas on how much a stock engine can take. I believe RIPS have had 700bhp with standard internals. One thing that is common, and that good mapping.
Here in the United States a lot of the /high HP Street V8 Turbo cars use bus turbo's and they work Great! producing the high boost and power to move the big block/small block Mopar/Chevy/Ford. Maybe bus turbo's are not the same over there as in the U.S. they work very well. The bus turbo's i know of over here are designed to handle high heat and cold temperatures. they are working all the time with little rest.

Oh and if for some reason you have trouble like the turbo getting too hot you can always upgrade your cooling to handle the high heat, but that is a must anyway with a high boosted high HP car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are you maybe thinking of a turbo off a petrol engined bus? I beleive (please correct me if i am wrong) big petrol engines were used quite alot in busses and lorrys in the states.
Most deisel bus/lorry engines only rev to around 2500 - 3000 rpm so a turbo designed for that probably wouldnt take kindly to being strapped to an engine revving to 7,8 or 9000. Deisel combustion temperatures are lower than petrol and improving the cooling system would do little or nothing to the temperature of the exhaust gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally some one who knows something!
I'm not sure how much they were used or the history of how many petrol running buses that are out there, but i know that there are turbo's that came off of buses that have been used successfully on V8 Drag cars.

yes that's what i am talking about. I'm tired of trying to explain this, the only reason i posted was to mention some ways to save money and have performance and it turned into an argument.

Thanks for helping clear this up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, so when i first started this topic i had limited resources, however since the holidays are gone i now have ALOT more cash for this project. I am only aiming for 500hp now, so a list of parts that would help me get there would be great, hopefully with a estimated cost for each part. The car is still stock and the 2 turbos i bought at first have been sold. So im starting totally from scratch again.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
For 500bhp (which is what I haveish) you'll need:-

BNR 34 N1 turbos (or Garrett equivalent GT2860r-7)
Bigger injectors (555cc or above)
Engine management system (Apexi FC) or someone who can tune the standard ECU
You will be maxing the standard AFMs, so put in Nismo, Z32 or similar.

That lot should get you near 500bhp at 1.4bar boost with a good map.

For a bit more power you could use a Garrett GT2860r-9 or -5.

You may also need to consider a decent oil cooler if you don't already have one fitted.

NB If your engine isn't very fit & healthy, the above will kill it quickly, so you may want to consider a refresh at the same time with quality crank/rod bearings, oil pump drive mod if not a very late GTR32 etc.

Cheers,

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, My 500 plus hp GTR does not have major internals yet. Coz remember it's a fact the Rb26DETT's "natural" Hp is 500 anyways, it was made for Group A racing purposes. :bowdown1: What I know it has, as my Jap mechanic said was 555 Nismo Injectors, N1 Turbos, JUN cam sprockets, Mine's Stage 2 ECU, etc. And the only down side of projects from Nissan performance cars especially GTRs is expect pricey parts. :smokin:

Well, the first problem is having shallow pockets, i myself have shallow pockets and is the reason i don't own a GTR yet.

Most performance parts are going to be up there in the price range. I would do this. Try to get the money out of the turbo's you got and try to get a hold of a single turbo off a Bus or a semi Truck. this will save you money and give you the same horsepower. or you could use two smaller sized turbo's from diesel trucks. Now that you have some extra money look into a decent muffler set up and have some one in a exhaust shop who is good at what they do hook you up with a custom exhaust. once again this will save you money for what you will have to spend on internal parts. you can only get so much HP out of bolt on parts. the exhaust header can be also custom built by the right person for a decent price without paying a ton of money. same goes with the intake mani, although it might be a good idea to pay for a good intake mani. The part you should think about putting the most money into is the tuning, if you can have it tuned just right you can pull off 700HP but even 500HP would make an BNR32 Move.

These are just some old school ways of price cutting and getting around the name brand stuff. it helps having alot of friends with fabrication skills. :)

Don't know if this helps. it has worked for my Conquest and CRX. so why not on the legendary GTR.
Hey bro I too also took the path of the compacts, Se-R (w/ "Dobble Vtec" NeoVVL "Ess Arr") B13 that is... and a friend use to have a CRX Type R. :)

And bros no hattin' pls. The new year has just begun. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
ok, so when i first started this topic i had limited resources, however since the holidays are gone i now have ALOT more cash for this project. I am only aiming for 500hp now, so a list of parts that would help me get there would be great, hopefully with a estimated cost for each part. The car is still stock and the 2 turbos i bought at first have been sold. So im starting totally from scratch again.
If you are going to only 500hp that's a lot more easy and cheap than the 700HP. Well get a decent turbo kit ( small twins like GTSS ) but first get your hands into an upgraded oil pump ( HKS, Tomei, Jun ). Set of cams and pulleys along maybe with some of head parts. Induction kit but without afm's combining it with a modified twin turbo pipe or the chamber kit by HKS, injectors and an ECU . Use an ECU that would be easy for you to find a good tuner for iit cause that's all that counts after all. That would be my way.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you are going to only 500hp that's a lot more easy and cheap than the 700HP. Well get a decent turbo kit ( small twins like GTSS ) but first get your hands into an upgraded oil pump ( HKS, Tomei, Jun ). Set of cams and pulleys along maybe with some of head parts. Induction kit but without afm's combining it with a modified twin turbo pipe or the chamber kit by HKS, injectors and an ECU . Use an ECU that would be easy for you to find a good tuner for iit cause that's all that counts after all. That would be my way.
Just as my previous post states 500hp would not necessarily require internal parts like cams or head works coz the RB26 is made naturally for that power. :bowdown1: In that power range (500hp) only bolt ons / external parts are needed. But then again internal parts like that would be nice especially when your aiming 650 hp above. :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
5k isnt going to get you far !!!! put your turbos in your closet and save up untill you can afford some real parts..

ie

740cc + injectors, fuel rail, fuel pump/s surge tanks, aftermarket ecu, intercooler upgrades, dump pipes, exhaust piping,. intake piping, intake plenum,
splitfires, decent plugs.. then your looking at cams, cam gears, timing belts..

and all of that is assuming your engine is in good condition, first thing should be a compression test...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts