GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

Does anyone know if it is possible to wire the front lights so that the full beam and the side lights come on when you put the headlights on. Would this put a signifcant drain on the loom. The normal lights on R32 GTR are terrible.

:(

·
Registered
234 Posts
yer mate .... you can hook up a duel headlight relay and have a diode between the high and low beam switching wires, so on low beam only your low beam is on and high both are on..... because you will be running relays it takes all load off the headlight combination switch ( which stops skyline headlight switches packing it in like they always do ) and get a set of 100watt headlight bulbs for it..... a mod i would recommend to every skyline owner, makes a huge difference!!!! :D

oh and the R33 plastic headlights that go yellow and dull, get a tin of insect repelent ( i used aerogaurd in oz dont know what is called in uk ) spray on headlight and scrub gently with a soft scub pad, like the one you use for washing dishes... that will take the yellowness out then buff or polish them so they are like new;)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Yes absolutely, the lights on my 32 are tragic as well mate, they are about as effective as a fart would be on the Richter scale... Mind you, ive had a few imported Impreza's in my time and the headlights on them were even worse! I dont think driving around with constant full beam on is the answer tho..

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
toddrb30gtr said:
yer mate .... you can hook up a duel headlight relay and have a diode between the high and low beam switching wires, so on low beam only your low beam is on and high both are on..... because you will be running relays it takes all load off the headlight combination switch ( which stops skyline headlight switches packing it in like they always do ) and get a set of 100watt headlight bulbs for it..... a mod i would recommend to every skyline owner, makes a huge difference!!!! :D
Run that by me again in more detail (I'm a bit carp when it comes to electrickery!)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Cord said:
Run that by me again in more detail (I'm a bit carp when it comes to electrickery!)
the headlight switch feeds power to the headlight bulbs, so there is alot of current draw thru the little contacts in the switch........ and by the time the current runs all the way from your battery thru the cable, plugs and connectors, thru the switch and all the way back to your headlights it has dropped voltage ( bad contacts and wire joins ect. )

so to fix this problem and to take all load off your switch, you put duel headlight relays,,, one relay for high beam and one for low. relays only draw .4amps

ok this is how to do it........

get two 12v 30amp relays, connect the pin marked 30 on both relays to your positive battery terminal thru a 30amp fuse, connect pin 85 on both to ground/earth ( car body ) cut the wire going to low beam bulb, connect the end that goes to bulb to 87 on one of the relays,, the other end that comes from switch connect to 86 on the same relay......

repeat on high beam wire on other relay.............. now you have duel headlight relays... now you can put 100watt bulbs in and it wont burn out switch:smokin:

now if you want you low beam to stay on when your high beam is on ( which helps alot and i would recommend ) get a 4amp diode and put it between the two 86 pins on both relays......... note the diode will have a little triangle with a line infront marked on it........ put the line to the low beam relay........

HEY PRESTO,,,,,YOU CAN SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, thanks very much mate will have a go at weekend. I'll buy you a drink if we ever meet.:smokin:

·
Registered
598 Posts
are you saying (pardon my thickness) that the headlight switch (on inst. binacle) feeds the headlights directly? and thats why all the block connectors on R32s are burnt at that location, i have never checked but assumed there would be relays.

·
Registered
234 Posts
the headlight switch on dash surround switches a headlight relay that feeds power to the combination switch on steering column....... and the switch feeds headlights thru contacts

·
Registered
598 Posts
so any idea why the light switch connector block on inst. surround shows signs of high temp, all the r32 gtr that i've seen are the same so it can't be loose connection?.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts