GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just wondering if anyone had one of these panels on their R32 ? ?

ita a FACTORY OPTION illuminated rear panel ? ?

I'm interested to see how rare these are, i didnt know they even made them, and have never seen one before...

... so when a mate of mine spotted one for sale abroad, i bought it (after a lot of negotiating), hence my interest as to how rare it is..

all the best..

Tony

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I kinda doubt that's a factory issue item.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my point exactly kismetcapitan.. i've never even heard of one, let alone seen one..

maybe these pics will show it better... i have the panel at home now and its NOT a home made one guaranteed... the letters are chrome looking when its not lit, and aqua green when it is (not blue like the first pic)... i think the voltage given out by the little DC-AC Inverter determines the colour to a certain extent...

...so if its not factory then can anyone shed any light on where its come from??

personally it looks factory to me, its definitely NOT home made, so if anyone knows for certain if this was indeed a factory option, or if its definitely an aftermarket add on i would be VERY interested to know more..

all the best..

Tony

·
Registered
597 Posts
my mate had one but not illuminated, looked OE, he also had the rear side windows illuminated script, same as Scott and i think he said in his post that it was OE part.

·
Registered
412 Posts
That actually was a factory option. A very rare one, but factory none the less. As a matter of fact I just ordered one for my GTR33 from Nissan JPN. Cant wait to get it.

-Sayajin

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its me selling them on ebay lucky shot, but thats the 33 and not the 32...

glad to know this was a factory option tho, it is definitely quality, altho the panel itself has seen better days and is a little bit marked...

maybe you could pop up the details of the factory panel you just ordered Sayajin as it may be useful.. i didnt know these were still available to buy to be honest, how much are they??

all the best..

Tony

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Sounds good but how would an aftermarket one blend in to the original R32 rear as its a single piece bumper/skyline panel??

TT

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in the process of getting instructions TT, but i THINK you have to drill 2 small holes in the original umper, not certain at the minute tho... this panel is no more then 10mm thick at any one point, and curved so it would blend in nicely i feel...

on the back of this panel are 2 torpedo shaped fasteners which would suggest the original panel has to be drilled, as soon as i get confirmation i will post up details...

T

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as promised TT heres how this panel is fixed to the R32 original.... it looks like 2 small holes for the clips to fix into and one larger hole for the electric wire to go through... plus some double sided tape i would guess, or glue of some sort...

a good bodyshop would be able to blend this in tho i would guess as its only 10mm or so thick... anyway, heres the pics..

this is the left side (2 holes, 1 for fixing, 1 for wire)

this is the right side with one hole..

all the best..

Tony

·
Administrator
31,602 Posts
if its a factory item, it'll have nissan manufaturing marks/date codes etc, nissan logo and possibly a part number on it.

mook

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hiya mook, the back is covered in what looks like a double sided sticky sheet, well half of it is...

i can see some numbers/letters that look like SE-18 or BE-18...

i'm gunna clean it all up anyway so will report back when its cleaned up..

Tony

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ant Flemming had a red R32 GTR for sale a couple of years ago with an illuminated back panel. I'm sure he told me that it was an aftermarket item. As far as I know the illuminated panels on the R33 were a factory option only, (had one on my Gts-t that glowed green). As far as I know there arn't many R33's around in the UK with the factory option - 4 at the last count.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hi floyd, i think theres quite a lot of R33's with the factory illuminated rear panel.... i know of more then 4 anyway, altho admittedly they arent that common...

the R32 one i have may be an aftermarket addition, altho opinions differ.. to be honest in appearance it is identical to the "look" of the R33 factory illuminated option, the same colour and effect, everything... that said would the factory offer an option that meant drilling the original panel?? i'm not sure they would..

so the jury;s still out it seems, if anyone has a definite answer to this, maybe they have had a R32 since new with a panel like this on it from NEW..

all help appreciated guys.. thank you..

Tony

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts
my mate had one but not illuminated, looked OE, he also had the rear side windows illuminated script, same as Scott and i think he said in his post that it was OE part.

I have a factory fitted set on my 32:smokin: .
I have only seen one other car so far in the UK with another, but they did not have then in the rear quarter windows like mine.

I have never seen another GTR anywhere with all 3 in 9 years of looking. :smokin: :smokin:

Poor photo, but its the only one I have to hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
I really do like that on the 32. I'm not one for 'bling' or into daft styling but I think that is really smart. Depending on price and colour I'd be interested.

TT

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts
...... I'm not one for 'bling' or into daft styling ............

Me neither.
I was going to take them off when I first got it, but then grew to love to authentic Tokyo racer look. :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ace, now i have an answer... so yours is also a seperate panel scott??

this one obviously fixes onto the original one piece panel with 2 clips that fix into holes..

if you look at yours in the daylight do the letters look like they are mirror polished?? hard to explain really...

from what i can make out the colour is determined by the voltage of the inverter.. are these supposed to shine blue or the greeney colour as they do on the 33??

thanks again for all the help guys,, really happy to have found someone with one of these on their car..

Tony

1 - 20 of 39 Posts