GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what type of bulb the dipped-beam projector-lens headlights should use? Mine has some H7s (I think) wedged in which clearly aren't meant to be there. Thanks.

Phil

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Pete,

I have just sold my 95 WRX and am looking for advice on buying a R32.

Saw someone else on this site saying they spent £100 on headlamp bulbs, so perhaps they are a special fit?

Also, do you use the stock wheels and tyres, are they expensive to replace, I heard they were a special fit, or would 18" be a better bet?

Any other 'usual' parts cost a lot?

How are you getting along with your car, my wife will have to drive it quite often, which was easy for the WRX. But I have heard the GTR can be a handfull, what do you get on fuel?

Too fed up with my cossie owning brother boasting about his 450 BHP, against the WRX 260, can't wait to get the R32 + mods.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
R32s

WRX,

To be honest, the lack of a garage in London at the moment and the dark nights have meant that I haven't had a good look at the bulb sockets. Maybe this weekend I'l get the chance to have a look in daylight - £100 does sound a little steep for an "H"-type bulb though...

As far as wheels and tyres go, I have the standard GT-R wheels which I think suit the looks of the car, despite being a modest 16". I recently bought new S-02 Pole Positions (225/50-16) for £100 each, so tyres aren't expensive. As for larger wheels, I can't comment as I have no experience of them - others on the forum may be of more help there.

Parts prices are generally the same as for an R33, as there's a lot of overlap, and are in general I think more expensive than for the equivalent Impreza part.

I'm sure the wife will be fine driving it - mine has a Nismo clutch, which is fairly firm, but certainly not a problem in traffic. It does have a propensity for going sideways, however - certainly more so than the R33s I drove before buying it (perhaps wider wheels/tyres may help this - otherwise http://www.autospeed.com/A_0060/article.html ). Fuel consumption is fine in normal use, and no worse than a WRX when pressing on (in lightly-modified form at least).

As far as Cossies go, if you're hoping to be quicker than a 450bhp one on a straight dry road, you'll need to have quite a bit more than 450bhp (and deeper pockets than your brother).

There are people on the board with more experience and knowledge of the R32 (and GT-Rs in general) than myself - ask around and I'm sure you'll find all the advice you need.

Phil

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have 18s on my R32, but you have to use aftermarket springs otherwise they rub. I am using HKS coilovers and I love the way it handles!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bulbs

Does no-one with an R32 know what type of bulbs are used? I can't see where I'm going...

Phil

·
Registered
312 Posts
Handling

Thanks Robb,
You have just answered a niggly question for me, as i have Greddy adjustable shocks on my R32, but even on full hard the Nismo 18" GT1's still rub, do you think by changing the springs alone will help, and if so which make?? or will i have to buy coilovers too!! :(

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
bigsly what size are your wheels if they are the ones that gary had i think they are 10" wide they came off a R33
what you need for the R32 the 9.5" wide ones because of the offset needed.

keith

·
Registered
312 Posts
Your right Keith they are the wheels that were on the motor when i purchased it from Gary...
Thanks for the info on the offset i will now have to have a think!!

Cheers

Stu :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
R32 Bulbs

Hi Pete,
In reply to your question,
The dip beam has a 2 leg connector, not 3 like most UK spec vehicles in general
I also need more dip beam light......and have had for a while now on my R32. Of course havn't done anything about it yet.......only vow to do something about it just after being plunged into virtual darkness coming off mainbeam.....know what I mean.
Anyway, a while back I looked into this and found out that not suprisingly the original equipment supplier is PIAA. So made enquiries and visited their website, http://www.piaa,co.uk
Seems that they do a straight replacement bulb called a SUPERWHITE H39 55w-85w.........This is a white light zenon type bulb that retails at about £20 each!!!!
It says on the website that the nearest stockist to london is in Aylesbury..........I don't know if PIAA stuff is available through other stockists (certainly not Halfords.....When asked I may as well have been speaking Japanese to the lump of mutton, AKA assistant!!)
So, as yet I havn't got round to doing it myself, but I hope this helps..........you could always ask one of the garages, or maybe Shin from Prospec.......He'll be very familiar with all this

Regards,
enLIGHTENED wroestar
"come on 32's, lets be avin ya at the Grasshopper on the 22nd"

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lights

Thanks very much Jon - I'll look into that. They really are worse than useless at the moment, as I've got a wrongly-sized bulb just rattling around loose in the socket. I've heard and read (not sure if this will work: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/pjhudson/carcare-newsection/print_carcare.php3?id=84 ) bad things about PIAA, however...

Phil

P.S. Just noticed the PM you sent me over a month ago - oops. AFM now replaced and it's running well...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Light etc

Fuggles,
I don't know about the R33 - I think they are sealed units??? arn't they??? bit more modern (and expensive) than the old R32!!!

Phil - sorry I didn't recognise you (its the alias "Pete H" that threw me!!)
Good to hear the AFM now sorted - Woops sorry about the link, it doesn't seem to work - not v.good at tech things
Interesting link on headlight bulbs, Hmmmmmmmmmmm - sounds to me like the Philips Vision Plus is the one, but does it come in 2 electrode form???????, do Philips have a website??

not so ENlightened wroestar
:confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the info Pete,

Lets face it, these cars are to powerfull to race around in anyway, not even sure if I could handle one on the track. Really my brother v Me is just pub talk, if I wanted to go quicker I would go for an EVO.

The real reason to get one is poser value, buying a WRX 4 years ago was very cool, and quite rare in Plymouth. Now they are all over the place.

Seen over the last week:-

WRX's = 8
GTi-R's = 3
EVO IV's = 2
GTR 32's = 0

NEVER SEEN ONE IN PLYMOUTH!!!!!!!

It's not the horses either, its just that the reputation among us petrol heads is that it is the car to have, Rare, very powerfull (with a big exhaust could you tell if its 280 or 600 BHP from the outside?) and a handfull, scoobies are for wimps!
This is a car for real drivers.

The press argue the EVO is the quickest, but driving a car with a possible 1,000 BHP will make the local boy racers absolutley drool with envy, probably won't even drive that hard.

Just gota convince the wife, that won't be easy, had a prelude once and she kept reversing it to things, because of the high boot.

Great tip about the lights, will save this thread for when I get one, saw a R32 in the Auto trader last week going for £9,995, just within my range.

Not intending to mod it much, big 18" R32 wheels and exhaust will be a must.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
WROESTAR yes Philips do have a web site it is:

www.lighting.philips.com

they are distributed in th UK by ring automotive.
available from most car accessory shops any problems getting hold of what you want let me know.

hope that helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts