GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking of pulling apart my headlights over the winter and sorting them out once and for all.

Where can I buy the projectors from? I'm thinking of going honda like this:

Xenon Hid Lights Conversion For R32 - Skylines Australia

Look at that perfect cut off. I dont want to be one of those idiots whose lights are blinding you in the rear view. :chairshot

Any other manufacturer's you guys recommend?

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's easy to remove the headlight glass btw. 10 minutes at 130 deg and that's enough to soften the glue enough and the glass will very easily come off. Just a little note to help you.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh I know, just stick it in a pre heated oven. I wanted to know more about the projectors.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Iv just done my 34 ones taken the lens out and painted the inside black ill put it up in a while.
Yeh I'm planning to paint the inside black. But I want to know which projectors are the best.

Jags said:
Hulkster, MattJ did something like this with R33 lights
Yep, seen mattj one. But I'm looking for projectors more orientated for the 32.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
There is no such thing as a complete kit. Anything like an OEM projector will not be designed for an R32.

The easiest mounting type would be a projector which mounts into the existing bulb location.

What type of R32 headlights have you got?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no such thing as a complete kit. Anything like an OEM projector will not be designed for an R32.

The easiest mounting type would be a projector which mounts into the existing bulb location.

What type of R32 headlights have you got?
I think mine are the pre 91 projectors?

2.5"?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
You've got h3 projectors. They are the type I did initially. Very hard to find h3 plug in kits I converted an h1 or perhaps h7 setup to mount into the h3 bracket. You can buy converters to change the mount to h7 I think.

Either way some butchery will be required. I think that the oem lenses are 3" but I can measure them if you like. I have the old bits in a box in the garage. Hopefully the guide.I did will be of some help for you.

The easiest option would be some eBay projectors. I intend to replace mine so can tell you if the.posher items are worthwhile in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I split them apart and dismantled them yesterday. Was quite easy. But surprised how flimsy that shroud is.

I'll probably rechrome them. Was thinking of going black but dont think that will look nice against a blue 32.

How come you are replacing yours already? Didnt you just convert them a couple years ago?

Also how did you remove that glue seal? I already know its gonna be a pain.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
I split them apart and dismantled them yesterday. Was quite easy. But surprised how flimsy that shroud is.

I'll probably rechrome them. Was thinking of going black but dont think that will look nice against a blue 32.

How come you are replacing yours already? Didnt you just convert them a couple years ago?

Also how did you remove that glue seal? I already know its gonna be a pain.
Was a little while back. I used LHD projectors and the housings weren't perfect. I tried to convert to RHD which one of the projectors didn't like...

I'm reasonably sure that my (early) projectors aren't the best. Much better stuff has come along since. I have a strange fetish for making things exactly as I want them to be and I really need to get out more!

No need to completely remove the glue, it can be reused (it never really sets). This time though I think I'll remove the worst of it then use new glue.

I might even rebuild the old ones into a kit for someone else - not sure.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was a little while back. I used LHD projectors and the housings weren't perfect. I tried to convert to RHD which one of the projectors didn't like...

I'm reasonably sure that my (early) projectors aren't the best. Much better stuff has come along since. I have a strange fetish for making things exactly as I want them to be and I really need to get out more!

No need to completely remove the glue, it can be reused (it never really sets). This time though I think I'll remove the worst of it then use new glue.

I might even rebuild the old ones into a kit for someone else - not sure.
I'm gonna remove the glue as well. It seems like someone tried opening mine before. Not sure why. Is butyl seal a good replacement? The main objective is to keep water/moisture out?

Bi-xenon FX-R Stage IV Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

I might order this kit. I've seen some videos of them on youtube and they look great. But first I'm gonna email them the current dimensions of the projector and ask them if it's a relatively easy modification.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They got back to me and said that I'll have to modify the housing as the fx-r is larger than the stock projector. I'm cool with that. Now I have some other ideas:

Morimoto xB LED Angel Eyes - Accessories from The Retrofit Source Inc

I'm thinking about installing a set of halos whilst I'm at it. But I can't settle on the size, and where I will mount them. Plus do you think I would need a shroud around the projector? Just for aesthetics?

Projector Shrouds from The Retrofit Source Inc

Then I think I don't know if installing the halos and a shroud would be a viable option as the 3" projector fits near enough flush with the reflector, so it's limited to size. Unless I cut the reflector itself?

Driving me mad.

Also if I install the fx-r the standard high beam would become pretty much redundant as the fx-r has a solenoid which allows the full beam (low high) from the projector. So, just for aesthetics sake, I'll leave the standard high beam. Remember I don't want to go ott, I think the standard 89 lights are the best looking for the 32. So I want to retain (as close to) the look.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Personally I've gone for the morimotos. The D2S are nice and short so should easily sit behind the stock bezels. I've not bothered with shrouds but might buy some later on. The OEM projectors don't come with shrouds...

With regards to the angel eyes I didn't bother to wire them up on my current setup. I think you'd want to go for 2.5" lenses to have the space to actually see the rings behind the OEM bezels. You don't want to get too close to the bezel. The projector can foul the bezel as you adjust the angle if there isn't a decent gap.

I did consider buying an oblong panel of LEDs for the side light but I cannot really be bothered. The ultra bright LEDs I've got work well and the patterning on the glass would probably not work so well with a row of LEDs.

Glue wise I bought the stuff Retrofit sell.

Finally I suggest you keep the main beam as incandescent. Leaves you able to flash easily (HIDs take time to get going). I'm on the look out for xenon coloured bulbs. Bought some cheapy ones which are rubbish (colour wise). I think Phillips do some which I will try next.

NB I vaguely considered H3 LEDs for main beam but they are apparently stupidly dull (i.e. not bright) so probably won't bother.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeh you're right about the bezel, but I still prefer the 3" lens. I will probably have to hack the bezel a bit if I want to fit angel eyes. Argh. I think I'll bite the bullet.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
after time spent thinking, sleepless nights, nightmares about not fitting I ordered:

1 x Bi-xenon FX-R Stage IV Kit (FXR-IV)
Ballasts Denso Slim (35w)
Bulbs New Osram D2S CBI 5000K
Projectors RHD (3" Lens)
Re-sealing Glue
Wire Harness Relay: 9006
1 x High Beam Correctional Splitters (DiodeSplitte)
2 x Rubber Housing Caps (HousingCaps)

I ordered using usps express, lets see how long it takes to get here..:squintdan

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
after time spent thinking, sleepless nights, nightmares about not fitting I ordered:

1 x Bi-xenon FX-R Stage IV Kit (FXR-IV)
Ballasts Denso Slim (35w)
Bulbs New Osram D2S CBI 5000K
Projectors RHD (3" Lens)
Re-sealing Glue
Wire Harness Relay: 9006
1 x High Beam Correctional Splitters (DiodeSplitte)
2 x Rubber Housing Caps (HousingCaps)

I ordered using usps express, lets see how long it takes to get here..:squintdan
I think mine was about two weeks. Managed to avoid paying duty which was a first for me!

FYI you can buy the shrouds off ebay. Shipping that way is much cheaper (than from the US). I'm going to see if they are needed before going down that route though.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts