GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

I need HELP. I'm building an engine piece by piece for my 240Z. I bought a second hand head that some idiot has taken apart. As I have come to understand how much of the idiot the seller was, i now doubt that all the parts are RB26 ones. So here are my problems:

1) All the cam caps are unmarked (I always mark everything when I take something apart) I thought that maybe Nissan was so smart that alla the caps are identical. But no. First try and the cam is stuck.

2) And here comes the second problem. Are those caps even RB26 ones. I see on the pictures that all the other RB26 caps have markings on top of them. And my first caps won't line up with the bottom part. Here is the pic.

Can anyone help me out in here?

·
Registered
40 Posts
R32 GTR cam caps don't have markings on them. Nissan began engraving markings on the cam caps on the R33 GTR series.
Also, the cam cap bolts on the R32 RB26 models tend to wedge themselves into the bore of the cam cap hole. Try use some WD40 to lubricate the hole so that it can turn easier in the cap. R33 GTR and later models don't have this problem

·
Registered
40 Posts
It is important that you do mark the cam caps, I1, E1, I2, E2, etc... they are machined to the head so it is important that they go back in the same spot, as well as the same direction as they came off previously

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I managed to measure everything for 6 hours to get every thing sorted out. Previous owner didn't mark the caps and shuffled with them like a deck of cards. I have now 0,1mm oil clearance all the way around for every cap. It took some time but I'm sure now that all is good and there shouldn't be problem with that anymore.

·
Registered
40 Posts
R33 GTR motors in them maybe? Or the later model R32 GTRs with the longer crank nose could have got the same caps as the R33 GTR.
I've worked on two 89 GTRs with no markings and the bolts were wedged in the cap hole.
The R33 GTR caps i worked on had markings and the bolts were very easy to remove from the cap in comparison.
I've also had this confirmed to me by another person.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That makes sence. Short nose crank is in early r32 models. Then last R32 models (92 and up) got R33 engines. I thought they fixed only the oil pump problems. Live and learn every day.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Both my engines one a narrow crank r32 engine and a long nose crank r33 engine had markings on the cam caps.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The late, long nose 32 engine I put in my car had the caps marked.
Although the 33 engine that came out had the cam cap bolts stuck in the holes!!
Go figure lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Retro RB26 :) Is there any difference between first gen and last gen R32 (or R33) engines. I mean design wise. I know the long nose crank. But is that it?

I'm gona use just the bare minimum from the engine. Short block with custom mods. Just interested from that point of view. Did they used better materials, better casting, different head flow or different squish area design. That sort of thing. Aim is 600hp (should be good for 1000kg car)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts