GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question.

How many have rebuilt R32 engines and not needed to fit a collar or change the crank to cure the oil pump problem on the R32? Can you state the year of the car.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
A new oil pump will run fine on an R32 crank, I can say this from direct experience. The issue apparently is lonegevity, so on goes the pump collar!

·
Registered
826 Posts
When i had my rebuild i had a jun oil pump and a r33gtr crank fitted to my r32gtr,because the n1 pump failed and i didnt want to take any chances.

·
Registered
594 Posts
RB's rebuiling mine and they have not used a collar, although it has a new crank now.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
A new oil pump will run fine on an R32 crank, I can say this from direct experience.
What experience is that?

RB's are likely to be using a 33 crank if it is new, this has the larger drive so you wont need a collar IMHO.

Have a good look at some oil pumps which have been driven by a 32 crank, (old or new pumps) not nessecarily failed but look at the wear marks.

Rob

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I ran a new N1 pump on a regular R32 crank for 2000km. Worked fine, the engine held magnificent oil pressure in all conditions, and the pump fortunately doesn't show any wear.

That being said, the JUN oil collar is now being fitted to my crankshaft. The guy who built my car last time refused to fit it no matter how much I insisted, saying it wasn't needed. Stubborn Koreans. I am well aware that had I let the pump go like that without the collar for an appreciable amount of time, I would have encountered pump failure at some point or another.

The N1 pump, with the drive collar, is planned to go another 10,000km and then I will go with some 150,000 yen unit. Simply can't afford it now, I've run out of money.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Surely if you fit a collar to your crank your oil pump wont fit? I thought there are two pumps- one for early 32 cranks and the later one with the larger drive flange.

Tony

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
The drive dog dimensions are all the exept the length.

All pumps will fit all cranks.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Please excuse my poor typing.

'The drive dog dimensions are all the same exept the length' is what I should have typed..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts