GTR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

this morning I was driving on the highway at 75-80 mph when the car started bogging a bit and throttle response wasn't smooth at all when lifting and stepping on again aso. Also, there was this tsch tsch tsch noise all the time (hope you know what i mean by this) :chuckle:

The car isn't really modified much, running stock turbos, decat, Apexi cat back, Apexi induction kit and 1 bar of boost.

Since I own the car, I haven't done more than 2000 miles but it hasn't showed this before. Only thing I changed is a Mines chipped ECU which came with car for an OEM one.

Now I've read this thread (http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/50869-does-your-skyline-shuffle.html) and it sounds much like what my car does. Though many say that it won't do it with standard turbos. Any ideas what else could cause this and why it only did it now for the first time?

Cheers

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
If it's just noise then don't worry about it. It's your induction kit and apparently 'they all do that sir'. Mine does anyway (which has the Apex'i induction kit).

If it's shuffling then you'll find that the car won't build boost on part throttle. If you put your toe down it tends to 'clear'. I'd blame the mapping if your car is mostly stock.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Cris. Actually, it isn't just the noise. When I'm driving at 75mph and I want to accelerate a bit, it's hesitating at the moment it's about to build up boost and then it's doing that tsch tsch tsch noise lol.

I have to back off and then hit the throttle hard so it won't do this. But i only found the problem to appear in 5th gear on the highway while cruising at that rev-range where it's building up boost (didn't really try if it does it in any other gear yet).

Never noticed it before though. First time today :mad:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Id read that post you were on about mate. It seems to be something to do with the turbos fighting each other. Apparently there is a equalisation pipe you can get that goes between the two. Read the post lol!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have this same problem and it is rather disturbing. Will let you know what the solution is once I find it. I have read a number of things to try with no luck yet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Id read that post you were on about mate. It seems to be something to do with the turbos fighting each other. Apparently there is a equalisation pipe you can get that goes between the two. Read the post lol!
Well, I've read that thread heh. The thing what disturbs me about it is that first, quite some people say that it won't do it on stock turbos (though I don't see why), and second, it only did it today for the first time even though I have done at least 1500 miles on highways at around that speed (I've only done 2k miles since I own the car).

Anyway, I'll throw in the Mines ECU tonight and see if that changes anything. who knows :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
You can get it with stock turbos, trust me. I run stock turbos on 0.8bar and I used to get it real bad, changed to a baffled pipe and it runs totally smoothly now. For the price of the pipe, its worth doing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can get it with stock turbos, trust me. I run stock turbos on 0.8bar and I used to get it real bad, changed to a baffled pipe and it runs totally smoothly now. For the price of the pipe, its worth doing.
I think i'll get me one of those. Worth trying for that price i guess :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Didn't make the slightest bit of difference on my car that baffled pipe. My 2530s shuffle like chavs queueing at the job centre for dole money. I think this is what happens when you basically add race components to a road car and then try and use it to pooter around like the family wagon.

You are welcome to buy my pipe off me or swap it for some parts.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Didn't make the slightest bit of difference on my car that baffled pipe. My 2530s shuffle like chavs queueing at the job centre for dole money. I think this is what happens when you basically add race components to a road car and then try and use it to pooter around like the family wagon.

You are welcome to buy my pipe off me or swap it for some parts.
oh how much u want for that pipe mate i might be interested ;)
mine has a shuffle but heard it can be to do with the set up on the actuators? i have adjustable one u see

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
oh how much u want for that pipe mate i might be interested ;)
mine has a shuffle but heard it can be to do with the set up on the actuators? i have adjustable one u see
Mark at Abbey has done a great deal of research into this. I have read about mapping and tweaking actuators etc.. In my mind I cant see how these two things can influence it. The firing order is the firing order... you dont tune thatm so why would mapping make the slightest difference to two turbos struggling to synchronize. Surely its a mechanical thing.

does surprise me that your std turbos do this, i thought journal bearing turbos suffered much less than BB (HKS GT series) turbos.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
£90 if you want to keep your original pipe and dont mind sending off... sending back etc..

its quite content sitting down the shed at the minute :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts