GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my starter motor has given up on me :bawling:

However Im not sure where its located.......

On the picture below have I circled the starter motor or circled something completely different :confused:

Also for those of you in the know, it it an easy/difficult job to do? Tried searching the forum and didnt really find much info on how to do it.

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stupid I know - but where is it on the engine? I cant seem to find a pic of it so I know where to look.........

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Its right above where the front propshaft is bolted to the diff.
Starter is bolted to the gearbox with 2 14mm bolts. It the top bolt that is a pain in the ass.

And dont forget to disconnect the battery terminals before removing the starter.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool cheers for the help!

Will check it out in the morning :D

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
By the way, What you have circled is the AAC Valve

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Good job the starter isnt where the AAC valve is you'd never be able to get to it!!!! Hatred thing!
:)
bob

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anybody happen to have a photo of the starter motor on the car or is this all going to be about guess work?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Does anybody happen to have a photo of the starter motor on the car or is this all going to be about guess work?

Cheers
Dude, use a little common sense.
Youve been shown pic of it, told where it is, link to a thread explaining how to change, what more do you need?? :banned:

Asim

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude, use a little common sense.
Youve been shown pic of it, told where it is, link to a thread explaining how to change, what more do you need?? :banned:

Asim
Missed the link to the thread :sadwavey:

Although if you want you can come change it for me? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Yeh the legendary starter motor. Mines not disengaging quick enough and leaves a farting noise on start up. But I dont want to be the one having an adventure taking it off!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got round to trying to remove my starter motor, does anybody know if you have to remove any pipes or the like to be able to get the starter motor out of the gap or will it come out without removing any pipework?

Cheers

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I removed mine yesterday without removing any pipes etc, but i dont have the lines to my Hicas so your's might be different?
You may have to remove the bracket on the chassis rail that sits below the hole it needs to come through.
If you read the end of my project thread, Leo and i we're discussing removal, might be worth a read.
Cheers
;)
bob

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers for the info, just need to find someone else now who hasnt removed any pipes to see if this is possible without removing things.....other than the starter motor :D

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
As posted on Bobsters project thread, just try it from underneath. You don't need to remove any pipework and the starter will come out easily. Use a 14 ratchet ring spanner and guide it with your right hand to the upper bolt. Now use your left hand for cranking (you actually cross your hands). It can be a bit painful, especially if you have too big hands, but this worked a treat for me and the starter was out in less than 5 minutes.

I'd say the lower bolt isn't worth talking about.

It's really an easy job as soon as you found out how to do it :thumbsup:

HTH,

Leo

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you know what size the bolts are that hold the wires onto the starter motor?

First time doing this job so sorry for all the questions ;)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
It's either a M6 or M8, so you'd need a 10 or 12 ring spanner, socket, whatever.

Sorry, it's already a few weeks back that I removed mine and in the meantime there were lot's of other bolts I removed...

You only need to remove the lower cable/nut with the plastic cap on (if it's still on). The other cable is connected to the main unit of the starter, so there's no need to remove it.

Leo

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers mate - just got the top bolt challenge now to tackle. Its such a pain trying to get your hand up and around to that top bolt.......

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
PM Leo, (Autrian GTR), im pretty sure his lines are still all there as he's looped his at the back where as I removed mine and he just took his starter off too!
:)
bob

Ooops just seen Leo's reply above!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts