GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aye up guys, can anyone point me to a supplier who has weld in cages for an R32 please?

Cheers

Conrad

·
Registered
378 Posts
can you not get Safety Devices? They must do one?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I had the problem of getting a weld in cage for my R32. I ended up getting the four bent tubes needed, i.e. main hoop, both front legs and top windscreen bar, made at DME motorsport. The rest was done at Owensfabrication in south Wales. Cracking job it is too!

·
Registered
366 Posts
sideways.taff - thats a HELL of a cage! WOW!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nick @ DME has done quite a few R32 cages by all accounts and knows where to bend the tubes etc etc. I'd suggest you contact Nick as he'd probably be able to do the work for you. I think 6 point weld in cages typically cost £600 or so provided you supply the car with no dash in place and plenty of room to work around inside. As I said, give Nick a call: 01933 442 030, they are constantly busy though so I wouldn't expect him to be able to do the work next week or anything ;)

·
Registered
504 Posts
sideways.taff - thats a HELL of a cage! WOW!
Cheers, yeh it took a lot of work to get it the way I wanted and getting the tubes bent up properly. There's a few places that'll bend the tubes up if you can supply them with a template to work from but DME can do it without a template. All the rest of the tube work was straight tubes or tubes that just had minor bends in them that could be done with a hydraulic bender. The cage went from being tubes on the floor to being a climbing frame inside the car in 3 days. Pretty impressive!

Here's what it looked like outside a month or so ago:

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
can you not get Safety Devices? They must do one?
No and I was trying to get one made but the place changed their mind and never got back to me. Would have been over a grand fitted but the original would have been 5k to produce which put them off a they would have struggled to make their money back, supply and demand and all that:(

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ive welded a few r&d cages in
the thing with cages is that you need the guy behind the weldin torch to have a idea what he is trying to achieve

the cage in the piks looks put in well welds look good not cold like some you see
some cages i was looking at a few years back on british campionship rallycars were very poor i came to the conclusion that the only guy i would let weld a cage in for me was myself
you have to find someone you trust to do the job properly specially in a skyline that could be doing 160+mph when the driver fooks up :)

nice lookin car by the way taff

·
Registered
662 Posts
mine from my scooby rallycar if i do any more im gonna tig them got my city n guilds but havent done any tig cages yet

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Very impressive mate. Might get you to do mine when I get round to putting a cage in. That looks ultra-strong.

TT

1 - 20 of 21 Posts