GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be getting steadily worse. I go to pull the bonnet release handle, and am finding it harder and harder to get it to release the bonnet. Sometimes it doesnt matter how hard you pull it (im talking commando style) it just doesnt budge. I try giggling it and twisting and turning the handle, and usually after 5-6 attempts it works fine. But where as it used to take 1-2 tries, its now 5-6 times, and im worried one day it aint gonna work at all.

Can anyone please help me with where i should start looking for the fault? Is there a cable tightener or adjuster, either under the dash or under the bonnet?

Please any help appreciated, just want some advice before i grab the spanners and go on another crusade..

Thanks guys....

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
mines been doing this some days it opens with a little tug and some days you yank it and nothink happens lol it got jammed 1 day so i took it to my local tuners to have a look and when i got there is was working again lol sod law eh. all i can suggest is take it out an run some wd40 down the inside of it. if that doesnt free it up its a new cable for you lol

·
Registered
246 Posts
clean ur latch up, possibly may require some adjustment if the cable has stretched over the years... some lm grease up the cable sleeve always helps too ,but mainly cover the latch with lm grease and work the mechanism loads to work it in...

mines pretty stiff when i got her, lubed up, still pretty stiff but a lot easier than it was when i got her, but important thing, it hasnt got worse! 7 months on all good... touch plastic keyboard thingie.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I think most R32 GTR bonnet catches are really stiff, (at least every one I've tried has been really tight), sometimes mine doesn't pop the bonnet, the handle comes back but the bonnet doesn't pop up onto the safety, on those occasions I get someone else to very gently tap the bonnet above the catch, then it pops up. Its a very common problem on the classic cars we work on.

Try lubricating the catch first though! ;)

Alex B

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
same as mine some times the handle come out but dont release. just a minor issue really just annoying more than nething ill get round to sorting that 1 day lol after more important stuff is done! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok sweet, thanks guys. Looks like im not the only one then in the boat.

Ill grab some grease and lube away... :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Make sure that the cable is loose and free around the latch area as people when modding move the cable to tight to a body part stopping the flex of the cable to pull the latch open. I had the same problem when fitting air horns and running new wires from the dash to the bonnet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol!!! Yeah thats a pretty good reason. Unless you use a pair of little padlocks on your bonnet pins!!!

What i found was my metal radiator air guide was fouling on the bonnet, i also gave the latch mechanism a lube job. Its now popping open like the day it rolled off the production line...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
:bawling: :bawling:
My plastic handle shattered !
Does a new cable come complete with the handle ?
Has anyone priced it at middlehursts ?
Still works with the help of mole grips. :rolleyes:
Cokey

1 - 11 of 11 Posts