GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Currently in the process of planning my rebuild. The car is a 1992 R32 GTR, and the reason for rebuild is ringland failure, probably due to DET, not being mapped for 95RON.

Now as i will be going forged pistons, and wanting to change crank for later one (wider oil pump drive), i am considering going for the Tomei 2.8 Stroker kit.
This obviously has the forged pistons and new crank, so that covers that end of things nicely, and the benefit of more torque etc etc.

Now to my questions:

If i go for the Tomei stroker kit,

Are GT2860-5s suitable turbos to accompany the 2.8?

What other parts will i need (im going for the Tomei oil pump, even if i stay with 2.6), ie bolts, bearings, gaskets etc etc.?

What supporting mods are advised (ie injectors, cams, Harmonic dampers, etc etc) ?

The car will be used a few months a year, and when in use, its a daily driver-street machine.

Current mods power and transmission wise are:
GReddy Intercooler
HKS hard pipe kit
Nismo Fuel Pressure Reg
APEXI PFC (with standard AFMs)
OS Giken Twin plate clutch
HKS Y pipe? to turbos from afms?
HKS induction
Gizzmo Boost Controller

All advice welcome! Pros and Cons of stroking (no smutty jokes)!

Cheers,
Alan

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi Alan!

Nice to see that you want to go for a proper rebuilt:thumbsup:

Some things you should have a look at:
-aftermarket headstuds
-Metal headgasket
-extended sump
-1.5mm oil restrictors
-Turbo oil restrictors when using highflow oilpump
-I would do the crank cap studs aswell
-Some midrange cams something between 264/270deg. 9-10mm lift cams and suiteble valvesprings.
-You will need 2x z32 AFM's
-Lot's more to do depending on your budget :)

Why did you choose the Tomei 2.8stroker if i may ask?

Any questions give a shout:D

cheers,
Kevin

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Hi all,

Currently in the process of planning my rebuild. The car is a 1992 R32 GTR, and the reason for rebuild is ringland failure, probably due to DET, not being mapped for 95RON.

Now as i will be going forged pistons, and wanting to change crank for later one (wider oil pump drive), i am considering going for the Tomei 2.8 Stroker kit.
This obviously has the forged pistons and new crank, so that covers that end of things nicely, and the benefit of more torque etc etc.

Now to my questions:

If i go for the Tomei stroker kit,

Are GT2860-5s suitable turbos to accompany the 2.8?

What other parts will i need (im going for the Tomei oil pump, even if i stay with 2.6), ie bolts, bearings, gaskets etc etc.?

What supporting mods are advised (ie injectors, cams, Harmonic dampers, etc etc) ?

The car will be used a few months a year, and when in use, its a daily driver-street machine.

Current mods power and transmission wise are:
GReddy Intercooler
HKS hard pipe kit
Nismo Fuel Pressure Reg
APEXI PFC (with standard AFMs)
OS Giken Twin plate clutch
HKS Y pipe? to turbos from afms?
HKS induction
Gizzmo Boost Controller

All advice welcome! Pros and Cons of stroking (no smutty jokes)!

Cheers,
Alan
For the price of the Tomei kit you can get an RB30 from RIPS, you'll have even more torque :thumbsup:

Look here RIPS

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kevin,

The reason I'm considering tomei, is because it was mentioned to me by a tuner who I contacted about doing a rebuild!
He recommended it, and also I believe tomei parts to be high quality (and high price!).
Are there any other good makes to consider for a similiar kit?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Hi Alan,

Regarding the turbos I'd wait before buying Garret's or similar. Reason is that Miguel from Newera told me last time I called him that Tomei displayed a new generation of turbos (similar to HKS2530) on this years TAS which will be available soon.

So if you're really hooked up with Tomei and you have a little time to wait I'd defo consider them and take a closer look at them as soon as they're out.

@Boosted

The Rips engines are awesome (I'm considering them too when I'll get my engine done in two years or so), but aren't there problems with the clearance under the hood when you put a RB30 into a BNR32???

Leo

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Kevin,

The reason I'm considering tomei, is because it was mentioned to me by a tuner who I contacted about doing a rebuild!
He recommended it, and also I believe tomei parts to be high quality (and high price!).
There's a chap in Aussie who makes stroker kits out of RB30 cranks which are destroked to 2.9 (I think).

If you have more cash you could also look at the OSG kits.

Both of the above are almost certainly more costly (especially in the second case) than a 'proper' RB30.

As a side point you could do something with an RD28 crank with someone who was good a machining and some custom rods and pistons.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hi Alan,

Regarding the turbos I'd wait before buying Garret's or similar. Reason is that Miguel from Newera told me last time I called him that Tomei displayed a new generation of turbos (similar to HKS2530) on this years TAS which will be available soon.

So if you're really hooked up with Tomei and you have a little time to wait I'd defo consider them and take a closer look at them as soon as they're out.

@Boosted

The Rips engines are awesome (I'm considering them too when I'll get my engine done in two years or so), but aren't there problems with the clearance under the hood when you put a RB30 into a BNR32???

Leo
those tommie turbos look good but i bet they come at bloddy high price
acording to the card there 300ps X2

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If you're crank is OK, you could always just fit a wider oil pump drive onto the end - they cost about £60 plus fitting and balancing.

Tomei stuff very nice though and if you can afford to do the lot, then go for it!

Cheers,

·
Registered
269 Posts
Kevin,

I have sent you a pm mate:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Kevin,

For the price of an aftermarket stroker kit you can get a fully built bottom end from RIPS :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
@Boosted

Leo
It's nothing major, just cut a small piece out of the bonnet frame or add some washers to the bonnet hinges. Maybe it's both of those???

I can't remember from memory, but I think that's all it takes to clear. I'm sure Rob will be along at some stage and answer you fully.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi there i use the Tomei stoker, bloody nice bit of kit but also quite a nice price tag.
There a guy on here that sells Nitto stuff which looks really good as well, may be worth a look. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
For the price of an aftermarket stroker kit you can get a fully built bottom end from RIPS :thumbsup:

Plus 1:thumbsup:

More torque, less revs, less money, better for the street, smoother idle. Some people like to rev the ars to the moon for power, I am not one of those type. Those are the main reasons I would be leaning for the RB30.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Plus 1:thumbsup:

More torque, less revs, less money, better for the street, smoother idle. Some people like to rev the ars to the moon for power, I am not one of those type. Those are the main reasons I would be leaning for the RB30.
Exactly, more revs don't make a better motor. Some even say RPM = Ruin Peoples Motors :chuckle:

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
We've had no problems with big rpm with the 30s either although I agree, for a street car, if you can easily make more hp and torque at lower rpm its a no brainer.

Rob

1 - 20 of 91 Posts