GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst my GTR is still at the workshop having a facelift, I decided that while I am waiting I might as well upgrade the existing headlights. As everyone knows getting holding the original xenons are costly.

So after been looking at other peoples work on here I started looking at the options. I managed to get hold of some decent bi-xenon projectors and have started to take them apart. Here are some shots of the work so far.

The projectors mount into the original reflector housing, so no messing around trying to cut brackets etc. This allows to adjust the projectors as the original OEM without any real effort. Also the projectors have a halo ring around which can be powered up for day lights.

Stage 1

I am toying with the idea of spraying the reflectors black, what peoples thoughts on this ? The front lens are a yellow haze colour at the moment which I will be polishing later using Pastix-RX. Enough for one day :)

Cheers,

Ray:cool:

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I reckon reflector looks better shiny, but hard to say without seeing it black

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
how did you get the headlight apart, did you put it in the oven or does it just unclip?

also did you get the lights from another skyline or was it another make?

i think reflectors shiny is better with the plastic surround black, you might not get a good beam if they are black

·
Registered
12 Posts
OH SNAP!!!!!

I've just about finished doing mine too but i went for the mounting bracket option.

I'll get some photos up soon ;)

Nice work!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gtr-loz first take off all the clips around the housing, I then used a cardbox box as an oven and taped it all round the seams. The headlight wouldnt fit inside my oven and also wasnt to happy incase I melted it. I then cut a hole in the box to fit the Mrs hairdryer. I made a little vent at the end. I ran the hairdryer for about 15-20mins, this allowed enough heat to make the sealant around the lens soften. I then used a flatspade screwdriver to prise it open. The glass lens on the main beam has three clips, these are a bit tricky to take off.

Got to go sons crying, needs feeding. I will put some more pics on tomorrow and updates.

Cheers,

Ray :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all managed to get the first headlight done, well almost. I am looking at going quad bi-xenon and would like to see people opinions on this. I have attached some pics with one and then with the quad setup. All lenses can be adjusted easily using the original OEM adjustments on the back of the headlight. I will post a more comprehsive DIY guide once I start my second one. Both projectors have a cmfl halo ring in white. I dont have the means to power them up at the moment as my GTR is still in the spray shop.

Cheers,

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am also thinking of changing the sidelights to led amber indicators instead. I have a top secret front bumper and dont want to start cutting holes into it. I used Plastix RX to polish the headlight out. It works very well and gets rid of the yellow haze and brings them almost new. I am thinking of using some 2000 wet and dry to get rid of some scratches. has anyone used this paper on there headlights ?

·
Registered
747 Posts
In the past I have carefully used 1500 wet and dry supafine with clean water and then carefully mopped them using Finesse it polishing liquid with excellent results :thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did you ever get this finished? Would love a tutorial and parts to buy guide!
i did retrofit on my gtr,i don't have tutorial,but here is link to site where they have lot's of info and parts
The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications
i got FX-R bixenon kit,but fx-r is very big and reflector is small,so you need to cut alot to make it go in,take a look at mini projectors they offer,it could be a better choice.
I got some more pics,this was my first time doing retrofit,so lot's of mistakes,and broken plastics:p,but i finished it,light output is amazing compare to stock,just need to be carefull take you time,if you got any question i will help with what i can.:thumbsup:
I will post some pics later

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks,they called FX-R bi-xenon projector.You can get them online from retrofit source or any other projectors.But as I mentioned before fx-r is huge and skyline reflectors are small,so there is a lot of cutting involved,i would go with something smaller, if I would do it again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts