GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started thinking about replacing my crank pulley while I have bits of the motor apart. I used the ole interwebs to check on some pricing and availability when I saw "Fits R32 RB26dett" and figured there was something I didn't know. After a bit of research, I found that the R32 and R33/R34 use different crank pulleys. Seeing as how the previous owner said he built an R33 motor to drop in the car, I decided to go have a look at mine before buying one. Well, based on pictures I've seen, it would appear I have an R33 crank pulley (pic below), which makes sense.

Comparing that to the R32 pics I've seen online, the separation between the AC and PS belts is much thicker on the R32 pulley. That being the case, how am I not chewing up PS belts? Everything I've seen has suggested that you must match crank pulley with PS pulley (R32 with R32 or R33 with R33) or you'll chew up belts because of alignment issues. Does this not hold up if you accompany, say, an R33 crank pulley with an R32 PS pump resting on an R33 PS bracket?

I'm at a loss here. I'm going to include a picture of the PS pump bracket (below), although I doubt it will be of much use. I really don't want to replace the crank pulley just to have some alignment issues. Even though we've had the R33 over here for a couple years now, R33 PS pumps are not easy to come by.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The 32 and 33 power steering pumps are different. The 32 has the outlet for the Hicas. I'm guessing you don't have Hicas and you have a 33 pump and 33 crank pulley. If so get a 33 pulley. I have a Fluidampr and think it is great for a street car at reasonable power.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 32 and 33 power steering pumps are different. The 32 has the outlet for the Hicas. I'm guessing you don't have Hicas and you have a 33 pump and 33 crank pulley. If so get a 33 pulley. I have a Fluidampr and think it is great for a street car at reasonable power.
I have an R32 PS pump. I've removed it, opened the rear half off and removed the splines. I did this while removing my HICAS. Pic below.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You could have an R33 PS pulley swapped onto your R32 pump. The only way to find out would be to measure it or compare them side by side.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could have an R33 PS pulley swapped onto your R32 pump. The only way to find out would be to measure it or compare them side by side.
That's what I'm wondering about: can you use an R32 pump with an R33 crank pulley if the R32 pump is mounted with an R33 bracket.

I may remove the bracket and see if it has a unique identifier stamped on it unless anyone has a way to verify which generation mount it is(?).

·
Registered
156 Posts
As far as I know, Nissan used the shape and thickness of the power steering pulley to offset the position of the belt, not the mounting bracket, but definitely check them both if you have the opportunity. The R32 and 33/34 brackets have two distinct part numbers but look the same in the Nissan FAST catalogue.

Just as an example, here is an ECR33 (GTS-T) pump vs a BNR34 one; notice how the pulley is offset with a little snout. The pulleys can be swapped from one pump to the other.
Sorry I don't have any R32 stuff to compare.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I know, Nissan used the shape and thickness of the power steering pulley to offset the position of the belt, not the mounting bracket, but definitely check them both if you have the opportunity. The R32 and 33/34 brackets have two distinct part numbers but look the same in the Nissan FAST catalogue.

Just as an example, here is an ECR33 (GTS-T) pump vs a BNR34 one; notice how the pulley is offset with a little snout. The pulleys can be swapped from one pump to the other.
Sorry I don't have any R32 stuff to compare.
I found some unique identifier on the bracket, although the numbers seem to be all over the place from everything I found online. So that's essentially a wash.

Thanks for that. I'll take a look at my pulley and see if I can compare it to R32 pulleys.

I came across a few other, very old threads that talked about crank pulley and power steering pump. The notion was still to match the crank pulley to the power steering pump, but that was then challenged by people who didn't match them and had no issues with the belt. Perhaps it's due to the power steering pulley as you mentioned. Either way, I think I'm going to stop sweating it.

If I come across anything clarifying, I'll try to remember to update this thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts