GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right then, now i've searched high and low on here for a solution for cruise control on the GTR and all i found were sarcatisc comments, so after some homework i've found the following info and have also my action plan to make this a reality (albeit very slowly due to a lack of funds/available parts).

Firstly perusing through the parts cataloge I noticed ASCD Parts (nissan's acronym for cruise control) (Automatic Speed Control Device), a control unit and switch gear in the skyline part cataloge thing.

And

From what i can make out it is on the R32 GTS only and very rarely at that... so i'm going out on a limb and I am going to use parts from other nissan models, whilst trying to create and OE look and fit.

So far all I have is a ASCD motor and actuator from a Z32 (300zx 92+)

It just about fits in the engine bay in a comfortable place. I just have to make a bracket.

The cable reaches around to the throttle linkage just right, where I plan to add a second throttle pulley buy breaking down, drilling the shaft and pressing in another roll pin, and to create a dual cable bracket on the plenum.

As for the electronics, the ASCD ECU only takes one signal which is from the speedo. The switches, well thats quite straight forward, add a brake and clutch switch, the on off switch goes next to the mirror switch and the steering wheel "set, accelerate & cancel" switch is a common part from many other nissans.

I will update when I get some more bits, further on with the project.

Please give me your comments/knowledge below and if you have a spare throttle linkages to progress this project (I need 2 really so I dont have my car off the road(my daily driver)) it'll be much apreciated.

All the best
Rob ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Nice concept Rob

Will be a valuable add on to anyones Skyline for anyone (like me) that uses it to commute daily.

I like your persistance also - theres alot of "well nissan didn't add it/make that way etc so why bother..."

But...
This could easily improve the way people use their cars (GTR.co.uk Shop soon? ;))

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
If you manage to get it working I'll be looking to see if I can adapt it for my R32.

I hope you're able to sort something out and keep the moment up!

Good work.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
The only problem I can see is doesn't using cruise control use more fuel....and don't your cars already drink enough of that ... ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only problem I can see is doesn't using cruise control use more fuel....and don't your cars already drink enough of that ... ?
Well the cruise control really i'm hoping for it to make the motorway drive smoother by not having a human foot pressing heavier on the pedal than what is needed, which should make for better fuel consumption. If not, just an easier ride.

Rob.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
You're a brave man; anything which can control the throttle itself would scare me, from a diy point of view!

Very interested in this project :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi, Roadrunner the reason i'm taking it from the speedo is because the dashboard supplies the speedo signal for the ecu, just means the signals traveled less. basicly.

Update:

None lol, not been able to find a throttle bracket yet... gonna try nissan today.

Rob.

·
Registered
150 Posts
this seems like a great idea, i dont do nearly enough highway driving to justify something like this, id still love to install something like this anyway :) how hard has it been finding the parts?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BIG UPDATE!

Right then, news...

mounted actuator and pump.
got a ascd ecu and worked out wiring.
90% wiring done (got cruise, resume & cancel switch to fit)
awaiting delivery of throttle bar to make up throttle linkages.
need a throttle bracket to bespoke it to fit

below i have some pictures of the pump and actuator in thier final place.

Feel free to ask questions.

Rob:)

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
So how did it perform.
There's loads of similar design aftermarket el-cheapo units available, just fitted one to my son's diesel Patrol, but it has a mechanical vacuum pump and a very large vacuum reservoir, it works a treat.
I'm interested how well your system coped with say a big hill:
Unit increases throttle to maintain speed > engines makes positive boost > insufficient vacuum to operate vacuum diaphragm > unit keeps giving more and more throttle > unit finally stabilizes ????
Doesn't seem like it will operate steadily when compared to a stepper motor type.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the lack of updates, my commitments have forced me to put this on the back burner, but I am hopefull to have it all fully tested this weekend as i'm off work, i have wired everything bar a dash switch.... the actual mechanism is fitted and works well as i can suck on the diaphram and get the throttle to open manually, although i can't do that while driving down the road... lol!

Finishing update with video coming this weekend (hopefully).

Rob.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
nice one!!

Like it very much.

One thing l learned, don't give up till the job is done.

noz.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE.... IT WORKS

well i finally got round to it.. and after many a run up and down the local testing circuit i can confirm that......

IT WORKS

Below is a pic of the finished under bonnet setup.

The system currently:

1. sets/coasts
2. resumes/increases speed
3. disengages via brake pedal

The clutch pedal is what caused me problems today as it was a push to break instead of a push to make, so bridging the connector temporarily allows the system to run... i found this out by accident when the system was able to engage when i had my foot on the clutch:nervous:.

Anyway next job... find a nissan clutch switch, not a brake switch :p

So to finish the project completly I need a fresh dash blank next to the air-con temperature vent. (cash waiting btw) and to fit some decent switches that match the rest of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi, the cruise control is wired in such a way that its always on, just waiting to be activated, ive had to use a basic micro (ON) OFF (ON) switch on set or resume the only way currently to switch off is via the brake pedal, but im working on that i need to get a clutch switch from nissan tomorrow. Oh and maybe also an off switch.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Glad you made so progress on this. My GTR had been being used everyday of the week as well as track days and meets etc etc so would be great to have something like this on her so I can save fuel - thus allowing more "larger fun" moments ;)

Did you get the switch etc sorted in the end?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts